View Single Post

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Apr 27, 2014, 08:53 PM
Exclamation ANNOUNCEMENT: JCS for Mac, Coming This Week

Hello, friends!

Long time no see, eh? Anyway, I'm in a bit of a rush, so I'll get right to the good stuff: an announcement!

As some of you will recall, many years ago at one of the West Coast JJ2 meetings, I was working hard on getting JCS to work under Mac OS X. There's a (bad) port of JJ2 for Macs, but that port includes absolutely no level editing functionality - and I think that sucks. In fact, I think the port sucks, too - but more on that later.

I've finally got JCS working absolutely perfectly under Mac OS X (tested on Mavericks, but it should work on 10.6 and up, on any Intel Mac). I hate when I say I'm going to release something and then I end up being too busy and don't release it for ages, so I'm not setting some far-off release date this time; I'll be releasing JCS for Mac this week.

I have one or two small bugs I'd like to correct, but they're nothing game-breaking. I'm going to spend a day or two trying to get everything ship-shape as far as said bugs are concerned, and then it'll be ready for release!

Here's a screenshot to prove it's real, though it's not an amazingly exciting screenshot; it's just JCS. On a Mac.

Sweet, eh?

Now, there is one small downside; the application is currently rather large, weighing in at nearly 600 MB. I'll be able to get that down a bit, but I'm not sure exactly how much. The reason for the large size is that JCS for Mac works as a self-contained Wine-powered emulator of sorts. This one .app file contains several Wine files, several open-source implementations of Windows files, and all the other necessary technical sorcery needed to make the game work, including one driver I painstakingly messed with to finally get JCS working. In addition, it includes all the default .j2t and .j2b files a user would have with their copy of JCS.

EDIT:

JCS for Mac, v1.00, is officially available! Grab it here!

Last edited by Black Ninja; May 4, 2014 at 08:47 PM.