View Single Post

JCF Member

JazzGruff is an asset to this forumJazzGruff is an asset to this forum

Oct 3, 2012, 07:14 AM
Sorry for double post.

Worked on my new Jazz model, and thought about trying to import it into Unreal.
I had some scaling problems at first (The model was too small - unreal joined a lot of the vertices together. It has a funny mesh system...), and then I spent years trying to figure out why it wouldn't update my model, but I finally got it working, only to realise I have some missing triangles going on here.

(Click to enlarge)

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with vertex limits (I tried to delete a part of the model - had the exact same areas missing), but rather something with the fact I mirrored the model to get both sides.

Either way, things seem to start to work out. Unreal also has a nifty feature of using multiple materials on one mesh. Basically I can now use a seperate texture for the backpack, for example.

This will let me use seperate textures for a lot of things, like the bandage, this way it'll be possible to easily let jazz wear different colored clothing, or have different colored fur - if things go along nicely, I'll try to implement this in the multiplayer (You can already change the color of your bandage and your fur, but only one texture is used, resulting into too many textures and difficult texture management - because of that you can just scroll through the available textures).