View Single Post
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Apr 5, 2005, 09:57 PM
Gameplay Theories

I started this topic because I want to gather more information on what makes this game fun, and how we can make it more fun.

When most people start creating a CTF level, little thought is put into what the game-play will be like when the level is nearing completion. Some people plan layouts based solely on a good-looking design, instead of what the design will offer the level game-play wise. Some skilled level makers will make a CTF (or any type of level) with good game-play in mind, but only to innovate the level by adding gimmicks that haven't been tried before. I'm aware that most skilled level makers take into account the turn out of the level's game-play; the level is almost, if not exactly as it was intended to be made.

The question is, what makes good game-play for ctf levels? - We are, or at least most of us are familiar with flow, ease to learn, balance etc - Ironically, some of the most addictive levels like DW and BBlair have been those with rather quirky flow and balance, and don't say it's because they are old levels that people have simply learned to like. Take QQ for example, a relatively new level, it seems to be becoming rather popular because of R3ptile's Tournament: QQ is probably the most popular level on the JJ2WC map-pool list, yet it isn't the one of the highest quality (not meant as an insult to the author) due to flow, bugs, control issues and minor things like being sucked up in the tube at the middle of the level against one's will if he/she made a minor mistake, which happens often. The level isn't perfect, but it's addictive as heck, gets plenty of attention, and is played often, even more than levels that probably out-class it. Why? - Maybe frustration adds to fun somehow?

Last edited by FireSworD; Oct 6, 2016 at 01:04 PM.