Thread: Project Carrot
View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 9, 2013, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateSephiroth View Post
I can see what you mean; I didn't play around with JJ2 to notice this. Castle1.j2l seems to have non-zero speeds on layer 8 and I am just blindly using those At the same time it is a feature as you can define a speed to it just like any other layer (except sprite layer). A proper solution to this would probably be to ignore Layer 8 speeds at the conversion phase.
It's basically a bug in the original. They wanted layer 8 to snap to the upper left corner of the screen at all times when xSpeed=0 and ySpeed=0, which isn't how other layers work, in order to make backgrounds look better, but then they took that too far and made it true even if the speeds aren't zero. As a result, there isn't really a right way to treat layer 8 speeds, so much as there are various different statements it's possible to make by treating them one way or another.
Quote:
I haven't done too much research on that; the only effect actors have when they are not in the field of vision is that they don't try to draw themselves off-screen. If there's anything crucial I need to know here, do tell
Broadly speaking, in local play single player, objects more than about 32 tiles away from the player will be deleted from the active object list. There are a handful of exceptions -- rotating rocks in particular are never deleted -- but for the most part that's how it works. It's supposed to be a memory/speed-saving measure, but it does end up having various side effects, positive and negative, for real gameplay and level design. (For example: without it, all swinging vines are synced with one another.)