View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Oct 15, 2010, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
As for the JJ2-specific things in my post, they are there because JCS is primarily a JJ2 level editor. Even if it is expanded to support a few other related games, it will still be used for JJ2 levels the most. Therefore, I think it's a good idea to focus on features that will be useful to the vast majority of people (leaving out features in the name of making the editor compatible with say, battery check, would be foolish). Besides that, this thread is specifically about a new JJ2 level editor... Also, if the editor supported multiple games, it should really have a different mode for each game. Opening a battery check level file would mean, for example, that the editor knows not check for JJ2-specific errors (instead it would check for battery check ones, whatever they might be). Sprites would be loaded from that game's anims file, rather than JJ2's. And so on. This way, the editor would (ideally) serve every game equally well, in whatever specific ways are needed, rather than clumsily trying to support everything at once (to the detriment of everything else).
I agree; perhaps Battery Check is a bad example. One problem with JJ2+ at the moment is that there's only so much that can really be stored in the .j2l file, meaning only so much innovation is possible. Sure, you can stick extra stuff in there, but JCS will kill it the moment you save anything. A new level editor would mean no longer worrying about JCS, so the .j2l format could be expanded to new versions compatible only with advanced versions of JJ2+. So maybe even the more ridiculous suggestions like "more layers" have their place, in time.