Thread: The Conquistar
View Single Post
Coppertop

Coppertop is doing well so far

Mar 4, 2003, 12:28 PM
Thnx

The hangar was dark and grimy, open to the sky and elements. Copper paused in the doorway.
"I doubt that we've beaten him here, Claw."
:"I should think not," Shinyso said coolly, stepping out of the shadows. "You took long enough," he added. Copper rolled her eyes.
"And, of course, you're completely flawless and perfect. I'm sure you meant to get cut off from us and forced to fling yourself off a skyscraper."
"Startled them though, didn't I? Took their attention off you."
"Yeah, well, I think we're just lucky that you're a quick thinker and stupid enough to carry it through."
"Desperate measures."
"Oh, yeah, I'm sure."
Defalcon shook his head. Full of surprises, indeed. He looked up at the Phantom Eclipse. The black warship was a lot bigger on the inside than it looked, sleek and maneuverable. He'd seen it before, but not this close.
Copper gave him a knowing look. He assumed that she had to get a lot of those looks for her starfighter.
"Like it, do you," she said. "Well, you'll be taking your turn at the controls as well; my admission fee. That is, if you're up to handling her." She shot him a sly look.
"I'm a decent pilot," he said calmly. Crystal shrugged.
"If your weapon systems are up to standard, I can manage."
"Then there should be no problem," Copper said decisively. "I know you were trying to avoid it, Defalcon, but first stop is Carrotus. Just a brief stop, mind."
"Right. Make it short. Real short."

Carrotus, green and blue and brown and white, drew closer in the viewport. Defalcon had to admit that it was a beautiful world - but so boring. A peaceful place was not an advantage when you were not a peaceful person.
So when she said it was a short trip, Copper couldn't know how relieved Defalcon was. Or maybe she did; she and Claw certainly seemed bored enough. Shinyso (whose miraculous survival Defalcon still couldn't figure out) was always on edge.
As the Phantom Eclipse landed in the bright sunlight, Defalcon found himself wishing he was on Shador, where his exceptional night-vision gave him an extra edge. Not that he had poor day-sight - the opposite was the truth - but all too often bright light revealed or concealed important things.
Crystal had pointed out that the trip to Kilanphor had been unnecessary; Defalcon and Coppertop had traded knowing looks. Only another pilot truly understood the attatchment between a pilot and her ship. Crystal had not pressed further.
Now, as Defalcon stood, he wondered where Copper intended to go that could not be reached by portal ...

In case you're wondering, Assassin is now Phantom Eclipse.