View Single Post

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Aug 10, 2016, 08:17 AM
Giant Hermit Crab

Recently I'm working on improving my old Beach levels and came to the conclusion that while Uterus is an okay boss for the area, thematically, it's not really a water-based boss - thus, the game doesn't really have any. I've been thinking how to address the unique properties of being underwater and came up with the following idea:

The boss basically sits in one place and doesn't move from there. Touching it hurts, of course, since its shell is spiky. You can only hurt it by shooting the crab itself, not its shell. The crab goes through 5 different states:

1 (not pictured): The crab hides in its shell and can't be hurt.

2: Idle - the crab does nothing, but is not hidden inside its shell.

3: Spin - the crab spins, so fast that bullets ricochet off it. By spinning, it creates a whirlpool that drags the player towards it. You can avoid getting sucked into the crab only if you hold run in the opposite direction, but you have to be careful not to send yourself flying into the spikes at the arena's sides once this attack ends.

4: Shoot - Shoots two spikey balls (can use Uterus' shield asset) that fly off at an arc until they hit the ground. Bounce a bit and break afterwards.

5: Bubbles - spits bubbles to a random point on an X axis, that slowly drift upwards and pop after a few seconds, right as the boss goes into another state. If the player gets in contact with one of the bubbles, they're stuck in a ball shape (like in a sucker tube) inside the bubble for 2-3 seconds. This doesn't hurt, but makes the player vulnerable to the other two attacks.

So, that's the gist of my submission aaaaand I hope everybody likes it!

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)