View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 1, 2015, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
Since Violet CLM is still on the website, I really would like some advice from him as he criticized my awful levels a lot in the past.

So Violet, if you are reading this, could you give me some advice on level making? I won't make the levels too short, and there won't be too many enemies, and unlike back when I was a kid I can now take criticism.

So yeah, I want advice from you as I know you are experienced when it comes to what makes a good level.
Succinctly: steal other people's ideas, but do it at enough of a distance that nobody notices. Look at other games entirely, that way your level design will be different from regular JJ2 stuff because you'll be working in a different direction. Then once you've managed to import that alternate style, think of a way to add a twist to it that wasn't in the original--and that's what's called innovation.

Other thoughts include: Make different areas feel distinct in both visuals and gameplay. Give each enemy its own (gameplay) reason to be there. Implement other obstacles beyond simple enemies. When introducing a new gameplay mechanic, start with the simplest possible form, then expose the player to progressively more difficult versions as you go on, preferably interspersing those with sections featuring other mechanics.

Don't worry about a plot.