View Single Post

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jul 21, 2005, 05:36 PM
Python is my personal favourite for something like this, and I am glad that's what is being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyN0B0DY
Area ID stuff
Unfortunately, these events are actually used in jj2. The rocket turtle boss follows a path of these events through a level. Other than that they have no use, and I doubt there is a good way of using them like you described. Also, I believe that parameter they have is completely ineffective and does nothing.

I support newspaz's idea of just specifying a specific position in the level instead. It's a little nit more time consuming, but a lot easier.

As for functionality, I think the scripting language should be able to do the following things.

-Set triggers (preferably globaly and locally, though I have no idea how to globally set triggers)
-Change level, gametype, max score, current score...
-Change players health. There should be a way to set it to infinite, so you can make players invincible.
-Maybe some sort of magical way to spawn players, although I dont think there is any way to do this.
-Things in the script should be triggerable by things like players dying, points being scored, triggers being activated, whatever else you can think of.
-Make it so things in the script can be triggered by/affect anyone, specific players, or depending on which team a player is on. If there's no way to detect which team a player is on, just go by whether they are an even/odd player number.
-If the script says to do something like "increment score by 1 when player is at position 50,50" make sure the score doesn't skyrocket if the player stands on that one tile. The player should have to go off of the tile and then on it again for the action to repeat.

This is really basic and probably somewhat obvious, but it would be a good starting point. It would make it easier to do custom gametypes, at least.

Oh, and I assume a lot of scripts would be level specific. So there should probably be some way to make sure the script only runs in the right level, either by checking the filename, level name, or both.