View Single Post

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jul 21, 2020, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Thanks for this excellent collection of ideas!

Great research to find a practically invisible sprite that fixes the airboard ditch. I've seen the first attempt with the invulnerability star, I agree that the practically-invisible sparkling (that usually appears after collecting floating treasure) is far better.
Thank you too.

Glad there are other people interested in fixing Jazz 1 for GOG, and also glad to hear you like my fix for Medivo.

Of course, if we end up siding with 1.3 in the end, we can use this fix for the other airboard ditches, though that would mean more levels being fan-modified, which opens up more possibilities of errors. (Perhaps I'm just paranoid after how J1CS/JCS94 used to glitch up sounds and such, but I'm weary of using J1E editing on any levels that don't absolutely need it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I agree that we should strive for a package that GOG can then ship as-is, and take extra care to get it reasonable on first try. Interesting that you chose 1.2 and I chose 1.3 instinctively.

Episodes A, B, C are more reasonable in 1.3 (see smalle table on version.html that compares only 1.2/1.3), but one can have 1.3 levels with 1.2 executables, so this is less important. 1.3 has bouncing Jungrock flowers, they're broken in 1.2... but again, 1.2 could get away without a fan mod of Orbitus 2, and I agree that levels should be as close to Epic's releases as possible.

Indeed, highly complex topic. I'd rather not rush this choice of executable. I'll come back to you with a detailed comparison!

-- Simon
Oh. I didn't see the notes on episodes A-C. Hm.

Personally, I'd suggest using "Good" 1.2 with the changes I outlined prior, but with 1.3's versions of the CD levels, as you note is a possibility.
I presume that would just leave the broken Jungrock flowers bug?... I wonder if we can fix that with a level fix too. What precisely is the nature of that bug?

Y'know, reading those notes on "Good" 1.2, and how a lot of the issues with the CD levels don't seem to apply for "Bad" 1.2, and how there's the weird stuff about the Tubelectric extension... I wonder if "Good" 1.2 was an accidentally-used beta version, whereas "Bad" 1.2 was the finalised version of Jazz 1.2...?
It's just a shame that "Bad" 1.2, as well as 1.3, ended up screwing up so much in episodes 1-6...

But, I will say, if all that's broken in a "Good 1.2 but with 1.3's CD levels and Marbelara secret and Tubelectric 2, plus a fix of Medivo 1" version is the Jungrock flowers, and assuming that's more a minor annoyance than an actual game-breaking/significantly-gameplay-impacting thing, I would say that's preferable to 1.3's totally borked Orbitus, if you ask me. (Though I've only played about half the CD episodes before, a long time ago, so I'm not very familiar with what "Broken Jungrock bouncing flowers" would entail... If it's just an incorrectly-set behaviour or a missing animation, that would be dead easy to fix, for instance)

Last edited by Love & Thunder; Jul 21, 2020 at 11:33 AM.