Thread: Level Advice
View Single Post

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Nov 19, 2018, 11:52 PM
For me personally It's important to build a new level in a very structured and pragmatic way. This includes thinking of layout ideas. It seems to me that you get stuck while building the level, you made a block and end up with a lot of blank space where you don't yet know what to do with. You move some files further and start your new block.

It's good that you divide your level in chunks, so you can keep sight on what you're building. But the key to layout design is connecting and think of how layout chunks interact. When i make a layout part I think of visible parts of the level in a max resolution of 800x600.

For this to work you need to look at chunks seperately and think of different shapes. Shapes that hit the edges of the chunk so you can build towards another area. Most platforms in your level are round and seperated from other parts which makes it really hard for yourself to connect parts to make the level feel as a whole.

I don't think the level is 'bad' by any means though, just hoping my tips help out.