View Single Post
AvalancheMaster AvalancheMaster's Avatar

JCF Member

AvalancheMaster is doing well so far

Sep 8, 2013, 05:17 AM
Recently I decided to start playing all the old games I grew up with (you know, like Lode Runner, Civilization series, and Nox), and naturally that meant playing JJ2, my favorite platformer of all times. I haven't played JJ2 in 5 or 6 years, so I was pretty excited to find out that a place like J2O still exists and has a number of active players.

Anyway, to cut long story short, I've never been a fan of competitive multiplayer, aside from racing simulators (TrackMania, anyone?) and RTSs. I'm much more intrigued by PvE, and indirect story telling. I played some amazing custom-made single-player episodes that are hosted here, found about the whole JJ2+ thingie, and, thrilled, decided to try myself at creating a custom episode.

Being the half-minded lazy student that I am, I cleverly decided not to try myself at creating a whole episode from scratch, but rather create a single level first, just to test myself and my creativity with JCS.

Anyway, here are some screenshots from 2 days of level-making. No AngelScript yet, because:

a) I haven't coded since first year in Uni, which is 2 years ago
b) I do believe it is more important to polish the level design first before jumping into coding.

Ofcourse that doesn't mean I wouldn't try to put some tweaks in the level - namely, make the rain stop, give the player limited time underwater, make palette changes (going underground? going overground? fighting a boss?), and, if possible, change enemies behavior.

The screenies are below, along with some explanation of some of the zones.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Since it seems that I can post links only if I've made 2 posts or more, it seems that I have to spam 2 more posts to be able to show you the photos (not that you're extremely interested ).

But don't worry, next post will be with the explanation of the zones, and the third will be with the links. I guess it'll be against the rules (not a good first impression from me, eh?), but I hope that an admin or a mod can merge the posts later.