View Single Post

JCF Member

f2bnp is doing well so far

May 8, 2018, 03:44 AM
Hi, thanks for the chance to win this special gift.

My favorite Jazz2 related memory is probably the one where I rediscovered the game after some years. I had originally played the demo when it was new, but never owned the full game back then unfortunately. I remember being super excited about finding out that OMF 2097 featured an ad for the first game.
Anyway, back in the summer of 2003, a few years after the game had stopped being sold and I couldn't get a copy of it, I eventually tracked it down on an old but well-known abandonware website of the time, HOTU or The Home of the Underdogs.

Filesize was roughly around 35MB for the entire game, which didn't include the animated cutscenes unfortunately, but I couldn't care less. I remember that it was around 8PM when I started downloading, but with a measly 56K dial-up connection, this took a few hours. I was very young at the time and my computer was in my parents' room, so I had to ask for permission to both let the Internet connection run for a few hours and let the PC running during the duration of the download. I had to use the GetRight download manager as well, just to make sure it didn't crap out on me midway through .

The waiting was just killing me. Thankfully, I remember that we did have guests that night at the house so I was occupied during that time. I think that it eventually finished around 12:30-1:00 AM, but of course it was too late and I had to go to bed, so I just turned the computer off and went to sleep . I remember anxiously trying to sleep, hoping that the game would run and that the entire wait was not wasted.
Got up in the morning and first thing I did was fire up the PC and test the game. When I saw it running, I was so incredibly happy, I just couldn't believe it that I could finally play that game in full. I probably spent that entire weekend playing the game and I think soon thereafter I found a copy of The Secret Files as well, which made me immensely happy as well.

Fast forward a few years later and around 2011 I finally got a legitimate, big box copy of the game! I want to thank everyone who worked on these games from the bottom of my heart, they made me so happy as a kid and I had a total blast playing through them! The cinematics in both Jazz 1 & 2 were the icing on the cake. And that music... some of these tracks still spring to mind randomly!