Thread: Project Carrot
View Single Post

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

May 24, 2013, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulweaver View Post
Point taken, though I honestly don't know what you expected this thread to contain I'm not here to show off a completed game but a prototype.
I expected it to contain less exaggerated reactions, everything else is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulweaver
I expect the demo you just put up there was also written in GML; bear in mind that Game Maker provides the whole framework for handling sprites, drawing and different events built-in, while I've built my own engine that implements most of that stuff from the ground up all by myself. The way objects are handled in GML (basically almost nonexistent encapsulation) and preferred use of globals also simplifies things a lot.
Yes, although you must realize simplifying things doesn't always make them easier to use. And large portions of C++ code for drawing sprites, collision detection etc., can be successfully copied from older projects, assuming you had any. If I had had a ready level previewer in C++, I'd have used that to record the demo instead, but all I had at that moment was a GML one, so I used that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulweaver
Of course I could've started writing this in some game-centric engine like Game Maker or Stencyl but I wanted to use a more mainstream language
God bless you.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.