View Single Post

JCF Member

MoonBlazE is an asset to this forum

Jul 25, 2014, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
What I think would be a bigger issue is the potential discrepancy between the graphical fidelity of the tileset and that of the sprites (which would still be 8-bit and not anti-aliased). You could of course redraw the sprites too, but at that point you're basically creating a new game.
Flash, honestly. ;-P

If we're worried about Jazz not fitting into the level, I think there's plenty of "less quality" tilesets that have that effect already. Making the sprites fit into the level isn't something that's defined by the colors, it's defined by the art style.

For example, most of Dean's tilesets don't actually look like their uh... "aliased" just because they're so well drawn. For example, look at Castle: The edges around the stone pillars look very... "pixelish" in the editor, but when you launch the game you don't see it because Dean has made the background hue fit the foreground so it blends together nicely.

It's actually my impression that Jazz doesn't have this pixelish graphic over it, the scenery in the original game has actually always been this very high quality artwork where the in-game objects stand out and that helps to tell the player these are objects different from the scenery that you can interact with.

But I'm not really trying to argue against having pixel edges (I'm sorry but that's my way of describing them XD) because I'd rather have a feature that Violet said is easier to implement. Just by removing the color limit you expand the possibilities so much, for example instead of having to figure out how to draw skies and mountains in a 256 color palette I can use some of the many resources I've already drawn and turn them into a tileset.

For example, I drew this for a friend's background recently:

And yes, those are easy to make tileable.

I could make a mountain set with that with a ground that looks like this and draw fallen lodges to connect the ledges and waterfalls and oh my god don't get me started. XD

Point is, no color limit would be awesome.

Edit: By the way I'm giving the game too much credit. It's not 256 colors, the sprites each up half of the palette and the water texture shares its colors with the sky texture, there's the ping ball things that eat up so many colors don't even bother supporting them in the palette and it's more around 125 to 150 colors you actually can choose for yourself. >|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disguise View Post
*sings*
YOU AND ME BABY ARE NOTHING BUT MAMMALS LA LA LALAL LA LA ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!!