View Single Post

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Jul 27, 2011, 06:28 AM
I don't know if the ratings are the problems with reviews here. I think reviews are not accurate enough to the upload and needs to be expanded more.

Sure, the quick reviews really helped to bring back up the scene of reviews. But the downside is that i sometimes miss reviews that get deleted. The downside of quick reviews is that people don't have to explain much at all. Saying
Quote:
Cool
or
Quote:
Nice
is actually enough for the review to stay. Of course i know that the reviews count for 25%. But what's the point of reviewing here..

I don't think it's just the quick reviews fault either. But some reviewers just don't know what they are talking about. There is much to tell about a level, not just

Quote:
there is a bouncer power up on the left side, and a seeker powerup on the right side which is nice.
The worst: Reviewers that just tell people what you can find in the level and give just a little opinion. (aka repeating the description)

Bit better: Reviewers that tell people what you can find in the level, give their opinion about it and can observe a bit of gameplay. (like considering 2 power ups together is not a good idea).

How it should be: Reviewers that can tell what you can find in the level, give their opinion on that, give arguments for opinions. Can tell what they think should improve, how to improve it, can observe gameplay, know what the level is meant to be for. (theme) Can see what the author wanted to achieve.

Now I personally think that observing gameplay is also hard for someone who is very unskilled in the game himself. I don't have much problems with how the review is set up nicely or crap english, honestly. But it's often tiresome how people show so much confidence in talking nonsense aswell.

Now you probably ask, What does this all have to do with reviews? I think that we have to face that jj2 is a small commnunity and that amount of good reviewers is even smaller. In the past there were more reviews, but not much of them look accurate and helpful to me. And having the quick reviews, lending out an easy possibility to leave behind a short "review" or comment maybe supports the activity, but not the activity of helpful and good reviews.

I like the stars idea so far and I think I would go for the half-star rating system personally. I like the idea SE mentioned aswell, but maybe that is meant to remove unhelpful and senseless reviews. But then again, who decides a review is helpful or not. Perhaps having the review rated 0 out of 5 should stop counting. But a good start would be erasing quick reviews that have no content at all, even if they are quick they should have, otherwise reviewing has no purpose.

Reviewing needs to stay reviewing, no matter how low the activity gets.