Thread: The Conquistar
View Single Post
Coppertop

Coppertop is doing well so far

Jun 2, 2003, 12:31 PM
Erm, forgot to post the story.

Sardiff was a large world, a gas giant. Its inhabitants were all winged, semi-intelligent creatures. It had been colonized by denizens of Sardiff's sister planet Sarida. The Saridans were a graceful, resourceful people, taming the Sardi and living on floating platforms. Many Saridans were telepathically or empathically talented, which made them free game for the Kiyrenin.
The Vertigo had arrived on schedule, with a skeleton crew of seventeen Kiyrenin, one very nervous commander, and Shinyso.
Shinyso was slightly irritated with Shasah Aurych. She was not accustomed to actually giving orders; her second in command, Saja Dakrin, directed Shasah's subordinates. Additionally, Shasah was easily flustered, and she tended to lose her head with the smallest problems.
Shinyso was not impressed.
He never said as much, but it was clearly evident in the way his voice and manner reflected his scorn of the incompetent commander.
"You know," he said to his distant maser via commlink, "I think more and more that Dakrin is the true commander of this ship. Shasah gives some vague order, and Saja does the rest."
"Interesting," came the thoughtful reply. "You believe this is the secret of the Vertigo's success?"
"One of them, anyway. Shasah is incompetent."
"And this Saja is not. Very well, that's perfectly believable."
"My lord, there is possibly a much more serious charge against Shasah than incompetence. There are rumors of treason that may not be baseless."
There was a pause. Then, "I see. Have you searched her mind to establish the truth?"
"Not yet, my lord. I await your command."
"Check. If you find any indications, dispose of her."
"As ordered."
"Good. Contact me when you have some news."
"Affirmative. Out."
Shinyso pocketed the commlink and thought for a minute. Shasah had no mind-powers, only a weak mage-ability, and mainly to block magical attacks. However, if she became aware of his prying, she could construe that to mean he was attacking her, and block him out.
The best time is now, before she suspects anything.
Having made up his mind, he closed his eyes and cconcentrated.
He found Shasah's mind immediately. Her thoughts were all glossed over with a thin sheen of panic, with a layer of underlying guilt and fear.
Fear of what?
He probed deeper beneath the surface thoughts, to the deeper worries and emotions. He was not an empath, so he sensed the feelings very dimly. But the thoughts were loud and clear.
Why would the master send Shinyso if he hadn't found out?
What if Saja tells them?
What will they do to me?

And that was all Shinyso could pick up. He couldn't find what she had done.
Saja knows. That much was sure. Vague feelings of guilt and fear weren't enough to condemn Shasah. He needed concrete proof.

Besides, I can't end before I give Defalcon some action I did promise.