Thread: The Conquistar
View Single Post
Coppertop

Coppertop is doing well so far

Jun 11, 2003, 11:59 AM
I'm trying as hard as I can

I'll oblige you, Kaz, but only because I'm in a good mood.

Copper sighed. The sight of the three ships together was familiar, although a year ago Tiger's Timelost would have been replaced with Omega's Jendara, Kovu's Moonblaze, or the Vortex Crawler, maybe even Jassiv's Starblown. Now the ship of an ex-Kiyrenin who had tried to kill her and had assisted in the capture of one of her closer friends had taken their place. Despite Radium's assurance that Tiger could be trusted, she was incredibly wary of the striped rabbit.
Diamondus was green and bright in front of them. The three ships arrowed towards the planet, racing pieces of debris and dodging junk, not slowing in the slightest. Shonar was as excellent a pilot as he was a codebreaker, KRSplat was definitely qualified, and Tiger was doing well.
Diamondus was not a popular place due to the vicous insects that called the planet home. Copper had only been there three times, once when she was with Claw. Why Shinyso would be coming here was a question she couldn't answer.
Likely there's some telepathic honeybee that he wants to capture. Good luck!
When they landed, Diamondus was apparently abandoned. This was an illusion that Diamondans liked to foster, evidently having nothing better to do with their time than to hide and ambush unwary visitors. When Defalcon told Electrik this, the blue rabbit looked appreciative.
"Wow," he said, "these guys have some serious problems. And none of us psychiatrists - !"
"Eval," Copper said, "do you know where Shinyso is landing?"
- Sector 9-13, Quadrant 2, whatever that means. -
"It means he's landing on top of us," Shonar said. "We'd better move the ships."
"Good idea," Copper said, and it was, and they did.
"Now," said Acid, "we wait."
So they did.

Saja was a much better Commander than Shasah ever thought of being, giving precise orders and getting the job done with little or no fuss.
Their rendezvous was over - they had transferred the few Saridans they had captured to the Conquistar before Saja ordered them to pull out and head for Diamondus, where Shinyso had been ordered to personally capture two very specific targets.
Diamondus is better than Keenrei.
Why had he had that thought? He tried to remember when he'd been to Keenrei, but it escaped him for the most part. He did remember a black lizard captain, and blood. Not his, either. And a black door ...
He was sure he was not Kiyrenin at the time. At the thought of the Kiyrenin, the memory clouded and vanished, to his frustration. He stood immobile, trying to recapture it.
"Shinyso," Saja said quietly, coming up beside him, "the shuttles are ready. We have three minutes before the Vertigo exits hyperspace."
"Which shuttles are we taking?" he asked, glancing down at her. She frowned slightly.
"Silver Hornet and Locust. Why?"
"No matter. It's of no consequence."
"Ah. Is something troubling you?"
"No. Yes. Saja, what were you before you became Kiyrenin?"
"I was a spaceport coordinator on Cetilar III. Why? What were you?"
"I ... can't remember ... "
"It's not important, Shinyso. You're Kiyrenin now."
"I know. But the fact that I'm missing memories troubles me."
"Perhaps our lord removed them so that they would not interfere with your work," she suggested diffidently. He shrugged.
"Could be."
Whatever else he was going to say was drowned out by the sound of the sublight engines starting as the hyperdrive cut out. The Vertigo shuddered and then became still. Saja shook her head.
"As soon as we get back to Abiatel, I am getting those engines repaired."
"Sounds good. Saja - you're staying here."
"Why?" Her tone was belligerent.
"Because these marks are incredibly dangerous. If they weren't, do you think I'd be here?"
"Fine. I know you can pilot, so don't hesitate to take over the ships if you need to."
"I won't."
"I know. Good luck. Don't get yourself killed. Your orders may be to bring back these marks, but my orders ar to bring you back alive."
"Ah ... I knew that."

*falls asleep*