View Single Post

JCF Member

happygreenfrog has disabled reputation

Aug 2, 2018, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
I'm unconvinced by the idea that all non-blaster weapons fired two bullets in a V pattern, despite the HUD images. I think we're seeing ECTO in most of those shots--note that we only see them colored blue in the Diamondus screenshots, and in those two we don't see the HUD at all. It's probably just a quirk of the Diamondus palette. But if you look at the explosion in the Tubelectric screenshot with MIT selected, that's plausibly from a weapon that fired in an arc, like launchers, yet didn't have code yet to bounce off the floor once it lands.
The sprite for the blue projectile is a bit taller than ECTO. Now, it's possible that ECTO used to use a larger sprite and they just used that shot in particular to hide it was a palette issue instead of actually being a different weapon, but- wait, I just noticed something...

ENHANCE!

...now what do we have here?

Seems I was wrong about the firing pattern of the blue missile. Nonetheless, with the missile sprite still clearly being different from the green missile, which looks like this (and upon closer examination, the green missile has some yellow on it, which the blue missile does not, in addition to the slightly different shape):

This does perhaps open up more questions than it answers, but hey, at least we know my guess on the firing pattern of the blue weapon was seemingly incorrect.

...come to think of it, have we ever seen the player firing a plain old standard bullet in any of these old screenshots...? It would appear not, though some of the later ones at least show it equipped. I guess they just figured that the regular ol' blaster would make for some boring screenshots, lol.