Thread: Battle Contest
View Single Post

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Apr 9, 2007, 03:57 AM
Exclamation Battle Contest

I've noticed that in the past few months, there have been barely any good battle levels.
In an attempt to get people to create more decent battle levels, I have decided to start another contest. Pitfall levels will be accepted too.

Here are just a few hints when making battle levels:
  • I am looking for fast paced levels, which are action packed, not too campy or chaotic, and quite strategical.
  • Try to limit the amount of carrots to 2-3. Don't use Full Energy carrots, unless you know what you are doing. Same applies with shields.
  • Have as many types of ammo as possible. Avoid using Ice and TNT. (Unless you want to get PU's in walls, or freezing players over pits to make them fall in.)
  • Limit the amount of PU's to 2-3 for a small level, 3-5 for a big level. Too many PU's can make them chaotic. Too few PU's can make them campy. Or you could have no PU's at all, but keep in made that this will make killing slow, especially in a level with a lot of carrots.
  • The level doesn't have to be extremely original. It could just be a very good, standard battle level. Don't rip off other levels though.
  • Control the amount of eyecandy in the level. Levels with too much EC can be irritating to play in. It doesn't mean your level not have any EC. Levels which have too little EC are just as bad.
  • Make sure that the level has plenty of routes, and it should have a good flow. Don't make them too linear. Also don't make the level too cramped, or too open.
  • The level should not be biased for either characters.
And here are the contest rules:
  • Only one entry per person.
  • Levels must be saved in 1.23.
  • It is not compulsory to folow the creation guidelines.
  • I will accept levels with any tilesets, unless they have an annoying palette.
  • To enter, upload the level and post the link in this thread, or via Email/MSN at billy_the_big@hotmail.com
  • Levels must be newly created for this contest, previously uploaded levels (after 1 week) will not be allowed.
  • The deadline is 8th May.
  • There will be a mystery prize.
Ok, so have fun creating battle levels and good luck!

Last edited by PurpleJazz; Apr 27, 2007 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Deadline has been extended