View Single Post

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Mar 2, 2017, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Logface and I assume that JJ2+'s online check for self-updates fails here, even though Logface wants to start a singleplayer game. If this assumption is right, please catch and continue, you don't have to let the app crash. Can that API call throw in native Windows?
We use a pure C library for the update check. If under any circumstances it can throw, I would find this fairly impressive in the first place, because it's C, and then I would say that's not something to discuss with us, but rather the creators of the library, because if a library to be used in C applications can throw, that's not a good sign.

No, what we blame for the exception, based on earlier symptoms and when they occurred (regular Wine users reported the crash only in the latest release, while the update check has already been around for 5 public versions of JJ2+), is a far more substantial part of JJ2+, and letting the exception through is reasonable in the sense that if that part of code fails, the most we could do right now is display a custom crash message instead. The API function that we believe older versions of Wine don't support shouldn't throw unless its callback throws, which shouldn't happen under normal circumstances and no Windows user experienced it so far, to our knowledge.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.