View Single Post

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 9, 2017, 04:00 AM
I am speaking purely from my personal perspective here, so get that this is meant as one point of data, not something prescriptive.

That said, I think I can see where Roobar is coming from. I don't get much enjoyment from large, free-for-all public servers, as exciting as their level list may be, because typically some of the players will be idling, and most others will be far better than me, so I'm essentially running around randomly shooting and dying a lot without getting much done. I obviously still enjoy the chatting and getting the occasional kill, but by and large a 10-player battle/ctf free-for-all isn't super fun for me as a mediocre player who mostly joins these events for nostalgia's sake.

This is obviously not a problem with your server specifically but something inherent to the game itself, and maybe I should just suck it up and accept that JJ2 just isn't my type of game (anymore). But I do enjoy the more "silly" side of JJ2, like the various gun mutators, that one mutator by Sal that give random advantages to teams, et cetera. Sure it's more random, but that also makes it enjoyable across the board instead of just for veterans. No one joins a Bash-like server to play a serious hardcore game of CTF anyway.

As for this event specifically, it's cool that you reserved some time for that on day three and four, but then the weekend was over and I wasn't super interested in joining anymore. I recognize that there may be interest in "normal" game modes as well and you don't need to go all out on the mutators from the beginning, but maybe mix it up a little more instead of having the prime time (i.e. the weekend) be mostly vanilla-only. That way everyone has a chance to have some fun playing.