View Single Post
Another Jazz 2 fan

JCF Member

Another Jazz 2 fan has disabled reputation

Mar 25, 2002, 07:28 PM
The Life of Jason Jackrabbit
-- Part Two

The red rabbit reenters the tavern the next day. The entire original crowd had returned, as well as a few more rabbits. They had been eagerly awaiting his return.

“I’ll take another Muckamock ale, please.”

“Sure thing!” The bar tender remembers to hand him his drink.

“Goood barkeep!” Jason taunts.

The bar tender blushes, “Th-the story!” He reminds Jason.

“Ah, yes. Y’all want to know what happens next?”

He is greeted with much cheering.

He takes a drink before beginning. “Let’s see... now where was I? Oh, yes I remember. We were Devan’s slaves.

“We served Devan for many years, and had just about given up hope of being rescued. No rabbit had come for us. All of our own previous attempts to escape had failed miserably. The leaders of these rebellions would have been put to death, but Devan had other plans. They were transferred to Scraparap, to serve as garbage collectors. No rabbit desired such a punishment, so further thoughts of rebellion went to Scraparap with the leaders.

“Then, after all those years, our rescuer arrived. How surprised I was that it was my own cousin, Jazz! He shot a lizard, and used his key to remove the chains that bound our numb paws. We defeated a few lizards and took their guns. I got a nice one, it was in excellent condition. Turns out that it was of rabbit craftsmanship and had been stolen from a Carrotus armory.” Jason takes a drink.

“Still have that gun today, you know!” he remarks, and then continues. “So we talked to Jazz, and learned about the troubles of Carrotus. ‘You should be glad I ever found you,’ he told me, ‘I got lost, you know. That’s the only reason I’m here... So you’re my long lost cousin!’ I introduced him to Alex, and the important rabbits there. We held a discussion, and came up with a plan.” Jason takes another swig of ale.

“We realized that we could not return to out old homes, or the remains of them. That was obvious. We had to decide where we would stay. Some place where there would be shelter enough for a few hundred rabbits, yet would remain hidden from the lizards. We concluded that the only place that fit the credentials was Shady Cave. It was near the old village, but no rabbit had explored it before.

“So we went to the cave, passing our former village. We saw our houses in ruined, all our belongings had been pillaged years ago. The unplowed carrot fields were now dying, for lack of water on a desert planet. We managed to salvage a few carrot seeds before continuing to the cave.” Jason takes a sip of ale.

“All the rabbits entered the cave. It would be a great place to gather our strength for the final battle with the lizards. We would be able to start a small carrot garden where a shaft of light filtered down. We all settled down. There were not words to describe our feelings. At the moment, it was quite hard to accept that we were free! In short, though, we were exhausted. This became remarkably evident as several rabbits fell asleep.” A pause and more ale.

“We hadn’t explored the depths of the cavern yet. We were all asleep, the cave was peaceful and quiet. Out of the depths of the cave emerged a lone lizard. We bolted up, fully awake.”

Jason Jackrabbit finishes his ale.

“And if you want to hear more, come back tomorrow!” He grins at the rabbits around him, suddenly jolted back into awareness. Then the red rabbit walks out of the tavern into the night.

TO BE CONTINUED

Proud to be an old-timer! Rarely active, but Jazz Jackrabbit will always be in my heart.

Check out my War Tavern story, The Life of Jason Jackrabbit! [UPDATE - yeah, it died in 2002, but it was fun!]
Current Projects: Devan's Secret Weapon - yes, I still intend to release this some day. Got a lot of really great stuff done, it's going to be awesome!