Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

What's a good tileset for making test levels?

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jun 4, 2005, 01:30 PM
What's a good tileset for making test levels?

I am working on a new test level, mostly because I feel like it. I like making tests.

Anyway, the problem is I can't find a good tileset. Currently I am using cool day because that is the ultimate set for making test levels, but I would rather switch over to something less generic.

What I consider to be a good tileset for making tests is one that is easy to use, has letter/number tiles, isn't TOO ugly, and hasn't already been used a million times.

If anyone knows of any other sets that match this description, I'd like to know. I think either violet or urjazz once made a fairly good tileset for tests, but I can't remember what it was called. It was rather colourful.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Jun 4, 2005, 01:33 PM
Eagle's test tileset (used in my new Temporal Flux level) contains number tiles, and a "lvl" tile. It also has some basic eyecandy.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jun 4, 2005, 01:41 PM
Ok sometimes it helps to say the name of the set or the filename. Or even post a link to where I can get it.

I thought that was a bit obvious but I guess not.

That is unless the set is actually called "Eagle's test tileset", because I don't have that.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Jun 4, 2005, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike
Ok sometimes it helps to say the name of the set or the filename. Or even post a link to where I can get it.

I thought that was a bit obvious but I guess not.

That is unless the set is actually called "Eagle's test tileset", because I don't have that.
I told you it was in my new level, but fine. The tileset fileneme is lametile.j2l, and the name is Lame Tileset.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 4, 2005, 02:16 PM
Quote:
If anyone knows of any other sets that match this description, I'd like to know. I think either violet or urjazz once made a fairly good tileset for tests, but I can't remember what it was called. It was rather colourful.
Whoa, I forgot all about that one. It's called PB: Colorful and unfortunately has like the worst texturing job ever.
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jun 4, 2005, 02:21 PM
Would Cassa Gradient work? I'm not all too sure since I don't make test levels (Plus I just said the tileset without looking at it, so don't expect me to be right on for a good test tileset)

JCF Member

Jun 4, 2005, 02:22 PM
Now that I look at it, I have to say you might be right. I remembered a prettier set for some reason.

And odin, aside from the set having no letters, it is pretty good. But letters are important.

And I beat your level in like 10 minutes.

JCF Member

Jun 4, 2005, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
Would Cassa Gradient work? I'm not all too sure since I don't make test levels (Plus I just said the tileset without looking at it, so don't expect me to be right on for a good test tileset)
NO LETTERS
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Jun 4, 2005, 04:06 PM
Quote:
What I consider to be a good tileset for making tests is one that is easy to use, has letter/number tiles, isn't TOO ugly, and hasn't already been used a million times.
That Jill of the Jungle conversion:

http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/dow...p?levelID=2457

It's not put together very well. There are no freely usable letter tiles which are essential to you, so if you could, try to improvise (Why not use text events?). And no I didn't think it was a good tileset for tests just because Lark said so in his description.

You need something less generic? here you go. It may not include all of the tiles you need or have the theme you desire but it's just a suggestion.
Iam Canadian

JCF Member

Iam Canadian is doing well so far

Jun 4, 2005, 10:16 PM
Nobody's mentioned Top Secret? Generic, yes, but infinitely better than Cool Day.

JCF Member

Ðx is doing well so far

Jun 4, 2005, 10:19 PM
I used at one level Tube Electric. It sounds weird but you can make cool test levels with it

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 4, 2005, 11:24 PM
Tubelectric is kind of cool... here's a version of it with letters I made at one point. It was designed for a monopoly level I never finished, but it does have letters.

JCF Member

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

Jun 5, 2005, 12:28 AM
Chez (My tileset [Shameless plug]) has two sets of letters... I think it would work well for a test level.
destinylord

JCF Member

destinylord is doing well so far

Jun 5, 2005, 12:29 AM
you can also use topsecret 3 but its a little bit overused 2

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jun 5, 2005, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyN0B0DY
Chez (My tileset [Shameless plug]) has two sets of letters... I think it would work well for a test level.
I have already suggested Chez to Mike, and he said no. In his opinion it takes too long to make a good looking level with it (lies), and he doesn't really like the color scheme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam Canadian
Nobody's mentioned Top Secret? Generic, yes, but infinitely better than Cool Day.
Too generic. And it takes a while to make the level with it look good.

@Mike
What about Ground Force tileset?

Last edited by cooba; Jun 5, 2005 at 01:53 AM.