Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ (Updated June 30, 2010)

Closed Thread

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 20, 2013, 08:59 PM
It occurs to me I might as well reply to this thread instead of just discussing its contents in private.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
Could you please implement a command that lets admins check players' IP in a more polite way than kicking them off the server?
As in remote admins? I guess that wouldn't be too difficult; what do you want it for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivando View Post
I believe this glitch is somewhat kind of a similar fashion, because it involves bullets shot while the player is moving diagonally, in slopes...
This is an old problem and much more general than the specific case you outlined. In short, a client destroying an object by shooting it does not register with the server unless the server and the player agree on where the bullet went. It's also really easy to demonstrate by setting up some trigger scenery. Unfortunately I don't think the chances are all that high of our getting to this one right away, since it's probably complicated and we really want to be done with this and take a break for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdMetal View Post
Of course, this would all simply be an automated method of having /autostop set to ON and manually changing the map server-side, but I believe it would enhance the overall JJ2+ experience, as well as serve as a foundation for other innovations in the future.
Maybe if such levels actually got played, but with their very existence only hypothetical, I'm not convinced that the autostop+/c solution isn't good enough.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 21, 2013, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
As in remote admins? I guess that wouldn't be too difficult; what do you want it for?
Yes. Sometimes, mischievous players are supposed to be temporarily banned from dedicated servers (e.g. for a period of 40 years), but bans are bypassed thanks to benefits of dynamic IP. It is possible to ban a range, but such a solution has serious disadvantages: it's possible that a few innocent players will get banned - which could be especially troubling in a server that is supposed to host JDC events - and ISPs not always (if ever) care to mention somewhere in the Internet what IP ranges belong to them, so it's likely that banning two known ranges will leave one or more unbanned. Surprisingly, it works the other way around, that is, having IP of a person you can easily check their ISP, which is often the only thing one needs to do to be assured that a suspiciously acting player with an unfamiliar nickname is the person they suspected them to be. Another case, sometimes occurring along with the former, is impersonation of existing players; I doubt I need to explain. Since player's IP is displayed when they happen to stand on the wrong side of a kick/ban command, I'm pretty sure it's not meant to remain a strict mystery to remote admins with access to those. Even if it is, it can be prevented thanks to admin.ini, so implementing the command shouldn't cause trouble.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jan 21, 2013, 12:16 AM
Can't we just stuff those in the F9 list, just like for the server?
Quote:
Maybe if such levels actually got played, but with their very existence only hypothetical, I'm not convinced that the autostop+/c solution isn't good enough.
I actually think this is doable via a different approach in the next Plus? Just need to write up a proof-of-concept to be sure.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 21, 2013, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
Can't we just stuff those in the F9 list, just like for the server?
It's a solution, yes, but you might want to limit it to admin groups which have it somehow enabled in admin.ini. In many dedicated servers literally everybody can have an admin password of some level so that they can organize matches, but letting them all see IPs is not necessarily a good thing. And probably not every host will want remote admins to check IPs anyway.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jan 21, 2013, 01:55 AM
True. Then a command is the easier way of implementing it, since those have the authorisation stuff already taken care of.

JCF Member

Superjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 21, 2013, 07:25 AM
Quote:
This is an old problem and much more general than the specific case you outlined. In short, a client destroying an object by shooting it does not register with the server unless the server and the player agree on where the bullet went. It's also really easy to demonstrate by setting up some trigger scenery. Unfortunately I don't think the chances are all that high of our getting to this one right away, since it's probably complicated and we really want to be done with this and take a break for a while.
Okay so to be more precise, the problem is the increased chance to miss a shot from a target server-wise when running up a slope. Thanks for taking note anyway.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Jan 29, 2013, 06:32 AM
Thread unsticky and closed.

Continue discussion here please.

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends
Closed Thread