Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 3, 2015, 02:43 PM
I've gone from zero to plusHeaven.j2as in less than a year.

Do yourself a favor, y'all, and learn AngelScript.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Jan 4, 2015, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1416 View Post
Well, I don't see the big difference to be honest. The one is good at drawing, the other at coding, the other at level designing. And ofcourse someone would give you a hand if they have time, Foly once helped me with angel script a year ago, and now I'm much better at it. And I like the idea of for example KnockOut Race, and have already coded a bit of it . And also try to learn something about programming or drawing yourself, if that's what you need to make something, it's impossible to always rely on others, because they also have to do the things they need to do. But I haven't really seen you directly ask for help, just asking people to do it for you, which is a totally different thing, if you need help in programming, just ask for that, or look at the many scripts to learn from.
I'd draw myself if I was talented, I'd program myself if I was inteligent. I posted my ideas here but looks like no one is interested. If someone would agree to try one of my ideas, I can only (attemp to) make a map.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
I've gone from zero to plusHeaven.j2as in less than a year.

Do yourself a favor, y'all, and learn AngelScript.
It's not that easy, you know. How do you expect dumb people like me to script something? That's the reason we need more gamemodes.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 4, 2015, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
It's not that easy, you know.
Yes it is. Have you even tried?

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jan 4, 2015, 10:05 AM
Quote:
How do you expect dumb people like me to script something? That's the reason we need more gamemodes.
You're only as dumb as you are unwilling to learn. Give AS a try; if you get stuck, consult the documentation. If you still can't get your head around it, ask here.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Yes it is. Have you even tried?
Should I give it a shot, even if I am 14? For me, even Scratch is hard, and isn't even a serious programming language! >

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
You're only as dumb as you are unwilling to learn. Give AS a try; if you get stuck, consult the documentation. If you still can't get your head around it, ask here.
Of course, and I bet everyone will jump to help me! *sarcasm*

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 10:14 AM
Except they will.

JCF Veteran

Jan 4, 2015, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Should I give it a shot, even if I am 14?
So, you haven't tried.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Except they will.
They will as they "helped" me finding the beta of JJ2. Thanks to Jelly Jam and ShakerNL, the only people that actually botheted to help me.

JCF Veteran

Jan 4, 2015, 10:23 AM
Quote:
They will as they "helped" me finding the beta of JJ2.
Nobody here helped you with that, because you were:

- spamming
- ignoring the forum rules
- generally being a dick

There's enough resources to get you started, and even then, asking for help nicely is enough, since there's nothing illegal about that.

You won't magically get smart once you turn 20, so "I'm 14" is not an excuse. You get smart by doing shit.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 10:28 AM
Quote:
You won't magically get smart once you turn 20, so "I'm 14" is not an excuse. You get smart by doing shit.
Precisely. I learned GML when I was 7, so you can learn AS at 14.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Nobody here helped you with that, because you were:

- spamming
- generally being a dick

There's enough resources to get you started, and even then, asking for help nicely is enough, since there's nothing illegal about that.

- nope
- nope
- perhaps, depending on the situation

First I asked nicely, but it looked like everybody kept ignoring me. And how is it against the rules to ask the community to send me a link for downloading the game on Skype?

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 11:05 AM
Quote:
No, I won't get smart in that way. If the age doesn't matter, bother to explain me why can't 7 years old kids start in the 8th grade? They'll do shit in the 8th grade as they do in the 1st grade, but harder.

And if by "doing shit" you mean "taking a crap", I'd be a genius right now. *bad joke*

Bonus ducks.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Quote:
- nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link
Behaviour according the law. No software should be given out or requested for free without the consent of the owner of that software. Thus things like giving out or requesting for any illegal software is viable for punishment.
EDIT:
Quote:
No, I won't get smart in that way. If the age doesn't matter, bother to explain me why can't 7 years old kids start in the 8th grade? They'll do shit in the 8th grade as they do in the 1st grade, but harder.
That is entirely different and you know it.

Also, stop posting twice in a row; either edit your first post to be longer, or make your first post longer in the first place.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Still a "nope" from me.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 11:10 AM
There's nothing to "Still a nope from me" about; you disobeyed the forum rules, there's no room for subjectivity.

Anyway, this discussion is going off the rails; AS is easy to learn.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 11:15 AM
Quote:
There's nothing to "Still a nope from me" about; you disobeyed the forum rules, there's no room for subjectivity.
Quote:
Behaviour according the law. No software should be given out or requested for free without the consent of the owner of that software. Thus things like giving out or requesting for any illegal software is viable for punishment. These versions of Jazz Jackrabbit may not be given out: JJ1, JJ2, JJ2: TSF, JJ3 Demo. These can be given out because they are shareware: JJ1 Demo, Holiday Hare '94, Holiday Hare '95, JJ2 Demo, and JJ2: TSF Demo. Furthermore behaving according to the law means no racism. Racism is not allowed according to US law (in which this site's server resides).
Hah, didn't ask for any of these! JJ1, JJ2, JJ2: TSF, etc... I clearly asked for JJ2 v1.00g, which isn't the regular JJ2. Perhaps suggesting adding this version on the list would fix the problem, so I can get banned already? ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jan 4, 2015, 11:23 AM
Quote:
I'd draw myself if I was talented..
The majority of artists don't start off that great, unless you're a savant, which is very rare. The sheer majority of "talent" is dedicated learning and practice. That dedicated learning is finding out is looking within the details of what makes art appealing, then trying it out yourself, which will take some practice.

Many artists have a thing where they keep removing old art out of self-consciousness, further adhering to the unrealistic illusion that the majority of people suddenly get talent. I'm tired of it.

You're not convincing anyone by you saying you weren't spamming or constantly breaking the rules.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
The majority of artists don't start off that great, unless you're a savant, which is very rare. The sheer majority of "talent" is dedicated learning and practice. That dedicated learning is finding out is looking within the details of what makes art appealing, then trying it out yourself, which will take some practice.

Many artists have a thing where they keep removing old art out of self-consciousness, further adhering to the unrealistic illusion that the majority of people suddenly get talent. I'm tired of it.
You just don't want to see my awful sketches. Well, since I was a kid I wished to be an artist. I had a friend who was really really talented (I was like 6, he was like 9) and whenever he finished a drawing he used to give it to me. Now I just draw silly stuff on my notebooks whenever I am bored as school, you know, stuff such as Pokemon, monsters, awful attemps to draw Jazz's head, etc. Art is just not for me, even if I wish to draw nicely.

JCF Member

Nick1416 is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2015, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Should I give it a shot, even if I am 14? For me, even Scratch is hard, and isn't even a serious programming language! >
Well, I totally disagree with you on this. But if you really don't want to try it, then don't, and don't keep acting like "You won't help me anyway". Since we give you enough of idea's on how you could actually achieve what you want, by telling you that you can learn Angel Script easily, or telling you where to look for code snippets and examples etc. And it surely doesn't help to keep telling what you can't do, and therefore we should do instead. But it doesn't work that way, even if we like the idea(there is a possibility we don't) then we don't all have the time to do it for you, just ways to help you and give you hints. And I agree that probably not everyone is gifted and naturally able to program anything, no. Do you think all of the programmers of JJ2+ and angelscripters are geniusses or have the savant syndrome or anything? No, just try not being lazy and expecting too much from people, try it yourself or don't complain. Guess you know that yourself.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2015, 11:47 AM
Well just so you know, i was the one asking for things too. And i'm trying to use the codes from other levels for mine .
There, unlike Primpy, i'm doing something about it!
And drawing ain't that hard btw, just keep trying! I have some Jazz sketches too, don't know where they are, but they are based on Sonic's head.
P.S
Didn't go to any art school, nor did i find help over the internet about it

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1416 View Post
Well, I totally disagree with you on this. But if you really don't want to try it, then don't, and don't keep acting like "You won't help me anyway". Since we give you enough of idea's on how you could actually achieve what you want, by telling you that you can learn Angel Script easily, or telling you where to look for code snippets and examples etc. And it surely doesn't help to keep telling what you can't do, and therefore we should do instead. But it doesn't work that way, even if we like the idea(there is a possibility we don't) then we don't all have the time to do it for you, just ways to help you and give you hints. And I agree that probably not everyone is gifted and naturally able to program anything, no. Do you think all of the programmers of JJ2+ and angelscripters are geniusses or have the savant syndrome or anything? No, just try not being lazy and expecting too much from people, try it yourself or don't complain. Guess you know that yourself.
This won't lead to anything good anyway so I'd better stop talking. Plus, this is getting off-topic.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Jam View Post
Well just so you know, i was the one asking for things too. And i'm trying to use the codes from other levels for mine .
There, unlike Primpy, i'm doing something about it!
And drawing ain't that hard btw, just keep trying! I have some Jazz sketches too, don't know where they are, but they are based on Sonic's head.
P.S
Didn't go to any art school, nor did i find help over the internet about it
It 'aint easy! No talent = Impossible to draw something nice. It's a rule, whatever you guys say.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 11:59 AM
Quote:
It 'aint easy! No talent = Impossible to draw something nice. It's a rule, whatever you guys say.
It's not a rule! Drawing is waaay easier than Angelscript and level making, btw.
Besides, everyone has their own way of drawing! You have your own way too (no, it's not a bad way. Everyone's way of drawing is unique). I'm not THAT good at drawing to say all of this.
I will find my drawings of jazz to prove all of this .

JCF Veteran

Jan 4, 2015, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Drawing is waaay easier than Angelscript and level making, btw.
what

no

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:01 PM
Screw it, I don't even know where to start from.

Also, ".me" is a format or the file has to be deleted?

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:02 PM
Quote:
what

no
Everything is easier than programming. I'd rather become a medic than a programmer.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:05 PM
Quote:
what

no
Well it's easier and way more fun than programing imo.
Quote:
Screw it, I don't even know where to start from.
Same here.

JCF Veteran

Jan 4, 2015, 12:07 PM
1. Why in the fuck did you download AngelScript off the AngelScript website if JJ2+ already contains it?

2. Is "reading the manual" not an immediately obvious option?

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:07 PM
Quote:
You just don't want to see my awful sketches. Well, since I was a kid I wished to be an artist. I had a friend who was really really talented (I was like 6, he was like 9).
Judging someones art ability from a very young age isn't a good analogy. I can't judge someones ability from words. I've seen parents/teachers rave about how good and "talented" some teens art is, but more often than not, they are mediocre in my eyes. Does that mean I think they can't improve? No, as long they are able to assess what they can improve on.

My art as a 6 year old was typical to other 6 year olds. Around when I was 11 is when I started taking the leap foward, learning shading. When I became 16, I developed the habit of the importance of having references and drawing more angular, and took a large leap in skills again. Doodles without references don't mean much, those are usually from only what you can remember. I think a lot of people who are bad artists simply don't know how to apply good practices, and/or won't bother to practice their weak points, as it is the boring part. Mastering the basics is the most important part to becoming a good artist.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:10 PM
Quote:
1. Why in the fuck did you download AngelScript off the AngelScript website if JJ2+ already contains it?

2. Is "reading the manual" not an immediately obvious option?
And you said everyone can program.

JCF Veteran

Jan 4, 2015, 12:12 PM
Quote:
And you said everyone can program.
I didn't assume I was talking to people who can't read.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:15 PM
Already built part of the level I talked about earlier.
Also, what's the code for Antigravity? Even if i change one thing in the battle1plus script, the code won't work. I just want to remove the palete shift and music change. Don't laugh at me incase i brought out something that seemed preety obvious.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:16 PM
Quote:
It's not a rule! Drawing is waaay easier than Angelscript and level making, btw.
Quote:
what

no
I find levelmaking and AS harder than drawing, actually.

JCF Veteran

Jan 4, 2015, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Even if i change one thing in the battle1plus script, the code won't work.
Quote:
Any error in or outside of any function will prevent any and all AngelScript from running in the level. To get information about such errors, you will need to add a line AngelscriptDebug=True to the [General] group of plus.ini.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:20 PM
Quote:
What the h...
???
Yes, Primpy. You're not the only one who says to yourself that you're dumb.
EDIT: A friend of mine edited the code on how i wanted it to work. Works well in his server, but when i try it out in SP.
Weee an access violation!

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Judging someones art ability from a very young age isn't a good analogy. I can't judge someones ability from words. I've seen parents/teachers rave about how good and "talented" some teens art is, but more often than not, they are mediocre in my eyes. Does that mean I think they can't improve? No, as long they are able to assess what they can improve on.

My art as a 6 year old was typical to other 6 year olds. Around when I was 11 is when I started taking the leap foward, learning shading. When I became 16, I developed the habit of the importance of having references and drawing more angular, and took a large leap in skills again. Doodles without references don't mean much, those are usually from only what you can remember. I think a lot of people who are bad artists simply don't know how to apply good practices, and/or won't bother to practice their weak points, as it is the boring part. Mastering the basics is the most important part to becoming a good artist.
No, you did not understand. That friend of mine was the reason I wanted to become an artist. Since we're talking about art, despite the fact that I'm not good at drawing, I can make nice stuff out of clay. Of course, clay is pretty expensive (at least here) and I can't afford buying a pack unless I put some money aside. Well, this is off-topic so let's better not talk anymore about this.

And if you find my drawings "nice", you're trying to be nice or just rudely lying. http://i.imgur.com/5sFxUqQ.jpg

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Already built part of the level I talked about earlier.
Also, what's the code for Antigravity? Even if i change one thing in the battle1plus script, the code won't work. I just want to remove the palete shift and music change. Don't laugh at me incase i brought out something that seemed preety obvious.
There's a JCS parameter for anti gravity.

"By setting "Var" to 1, the event will turn on and off a reverse gravity mode instead of a no-firing mode"

245=No Fire Zone |+|Area |No Fire|Zone |Set To:2|Var:1

You will need to edit your JCS.ini if you haven't. Just copy and paste that in the 245 column, then find no fire zone in JCS, and change var to 1 and set to as 2.

It's in the plus readme, though. Ctrl + F anti-g then you will find it. So yeah, no AS needed.

JCF Member

Jan 4, 2015, 12:26 PM
Quote:
What the h...
???
Yes, Primpy. You're not the only one who says to yourself that you're dumb.
EDIT: A friend of mine edited the code on how i wanted it to work. Works well in his server, but when i try it out in SP.
Weee an access violation!
When I read your post:
http://youtu.be/Hyu0n1pTfhg?t=11s