Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

JCF Member

XRey360 is doing well so far

Jan 2, 2016, 02:08 PM
Which is a sad thing, considering that the story was a big chunk of fun and missing it online really feels disappointing! I never understood why the split-screen and online didn't share the same features.

And I will remember about restarting the level once it's all ready so it will avoid most problems :3
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Jan 3, 2016, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
I have a question, is it possible to change JCS so I will play the level as Spaz instead of Jazz?

Because I prefer playing as Spaz and always have to use the jjmorph cheat code to change the character or go to the home cookies menu to play it as Spaz.
I'm sorry about quoting a previous post, but I feel that it got ignored.

Also, if it's not possible, can someone modify the game to make it possible? I do find it annoying having to use jjmorph every time I preview a level as I always play as Spaz.

I have to do either that or load the level from the home cooked levels menu. I don't wanna do either of that I just wanna click save and run and play as Spaz the moment I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRey360 View Post
Which is a sad thing, considering that the story was a big chunk of fun and missing it online really feels disappointing! I never understood why the split-screen and online didn't share the same features.

And I will remember about restarting the level once it's all ready so it will avoid most problems :3
You need to keep in mind that the game was released in the 1998. Back then the Internet wasn't as popular as it is today. It was very new, and not every game had online options like today.

If Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was made today I can almost guarantee that all options would be available.

Last edited by Blaze The Movie Fan; Jan 4, 2016 at 07:50 AM. Reason: It was released in 1998, not 1994.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jan 3, 2016, 05:27 PM
There isn't much use for that now that the home cooked levels list actually works, I think. You shouldn't really be using Save+Run for levels that aren't yours anyway, and if they are yours, you can just attach a quick angelscript file to morph the player to spaz. Or you're welcome to run the game from command line or whatever, just not JCS's Save+Run.

I'm not so clear why Race wasn't supported online, besides a lack of interest, but the reason for Cooperative not being included is that it's significantly more technically complicated than Battle/CTF/Treasure. Player movement in JJ2 is so fast and fluid, much faster than the network prediction code can handle already, and the game just isn't equipped to try to sync every enemy and boss on top of that. That's why you can't push crates and monitors and things online, either; their positions would need to be synced across clients. You look at something like Little Big Planet that is playable online, and they had to take various measures to make that possible, like inserting a delay between pressing the jump key and having the player actually jump.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jan 4, 2016, 01:47 AM
I personally use a Batch file called test.bat. It looks like this...
Code:
ECHO OFF
CLS
Jazz2 [LEVELNAMEHERE].j2l
If you want to play as Spaz, just add " -spaz" to the end of the last line. I think there's also a similar switch for Lori in TSF.

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Jan 9, 2016, 06:16 AM
Another thing I'd love to see added to the game is a way to regulate the translucency. By default it's around 80% or 90% opaque. But for some specific tiles, I might need lower opacity levels.

JCF Member

Borgia is doing well so far

Jan 10, 2016, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
You shouldn't really be using Save+Run for levels that aren't yours anyway, and if they are yours, you can just attach a quick angelscript file to morph the player to spaz. Or you're welcome to run the game from command line or whatever, just not JCS's Save+Run.
I do use Save + Run all the time, actually. The only 'change' happening in the level is that the date when it was last modified is changed, nothing more. So I don't really see the harm in this. Besides, it allows for quick switching between levels, if I'm working on my own while looking at another to see how things are done there.

Is it maybe an idea to create a seperate 'Run' option in JCS? Anything that does NOT require AngelScript?

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 10, 2016, 12:17 PM
Well, apart from the levels that JCS corrupts, which aren't marked in any special way. So it could be a dangerous habit, especially when using Windows Explorer or HCL should be that much faster. In any case, adding menu options to JCS itself isn't really doable, but MLLE has several alternatives to the basic Save+Run.

JCF Member

XRey360 is doing well so far

Jan 23, 2016, 09:47 AM
Hmn, for some reason I found a problem with the episodes end. Whenever I play the campaign in single player and play through an episode, when it finishes the last level the game crashes with a "divide by zero" bug report.

What could it be? :c I never had it before as I remember, I believe it started only when I updated the JJ2+ to the lastest version...

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Jan 23, 2016, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRey360 View Post
Hmn, for some reason I found a problem with the episodes end. Whenever I play the campaign in single player and play through an episode, when it finishes the last level the game crashes with a "divide by zero" bug report.

What could it be? :c I never had it before as I remember, I believe it started only when I updated the JJ2+ to the lastest version...
Yeah, same here. Getting "Divide by Zero" bug.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jan 23, 2016, 01:30 PM
Yeah, we know about it already. It's a plus bug.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

shaney is an asset to this forumshaney is an asset to this forum

Feb 2, 2016, 01:00 PM
bugs or bees jj2+ still rocks

im still alive yeah

JCF Member

Lem_Gambino is doing well so far

Feb 5, 2016, 03:45 PM
Hey, it's been a while since I posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
For the record, I encountered this bug while playing JJ2+ with TSF installed. I finished Formally A Prince normally, and tried using the jjnext cheat, got the same result each time. Would it help I posted the error messages that popped up when it happened?

JCF Member

Feb 5, 2016, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem_Gambino View Post
For the record, I encountered this bug while playing JJ2+ with TSF installed. I finished Formally A Prince normally, and tried using the jjnext cheat, got the same result each time. Would it help I posted the error messages that popped up when it happened?
You quoted something that answered your own question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
It's incredibly easy to trigger (you can make it happen after any episode end on any JJ2 version with plus), so there's no need.

JCF Member

Lem_Gambino is doing well so far

Feb 5, 2016, 08:15 PM
All right, best of luck with your bug-squashing.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 08:12 PM
juanpablo123
This message has been deleted by juanpablo123. Reason: *goes to do something else than worry for JJ2+ anyway*

JCF Member

Feb 8, 2016, 11:27 PM
There was a period when there was no new plus for almost 3 years. This is nothing compared to that.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Feb 10, 2016, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpablo123 View Post
>"last updated August 24, 2015"
>February 8, 2016, still no new plus released
Wake up, plus-development-team-whoever-they-are people...
$60. I accept PayPal. Then you can act like I owe you anything.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 10, 2016, 04:25 AM
Come on, no need to take the train straight to hateville.

Juanpablo, I get how it's frustrating to wait so long inbetween releases, but the fact is that there are only a few people working on plus, in their free time, and as you surely know free time and motivation come and go.

Development has picked up a bit recently, but as always it's very hard to say when a new version will be released. There has been talk about an intermediate release to fix some bugs (e.g. the episode cycling issue), which would otherwise not contain anything interesting, but it's not possible to give a release date for that either.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Feb 10, 2016, 05:32 AM
It's called Assertville and it's the valid place to go to when somebody assumes doing nice things is your job. I would never be hateful towards a potential employer.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Éminence Grise

Feb 10, 2016, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
There has been talk about an intermediate release to fix some bugs (e.g. the episode cycling issue), which would otherwise not contain anything interesting, but it's not possible to give a release date for that either.
Probably soon. There are more interesting things in the works, rest assured, but they're not done yet, so they've being kept in separate code branches for now so that a more stable build can be produced at pretty much any time.

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Feb 11, 2016, 09:20 AM
I'm patient, I can wait for as long as this takes. I understand this takes a long time to update.

I just hope that in the next version this problem with the boss theme occurring when I die and return to the game nowhere near the boss will be fixed.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Mar 27, 2016, 03:09 AM
I've got a pretty bad issue with JJ2+. When I open 'Jazz2+.exe' everything seems normal (Jazz Jackrabbit 2+ logo, high resolution etc.) but when I start any level that uses Jazz2+ features it just starts as a regular Jazz 2 level (the plus features are not working). I tried completely reinstalling Jazz 2 and then Jazz 2+. First time it worked but after that it was just as buggy as always. Also, when I tried to use 'plusifier.exe' again, this was displayed:

I don't know if it's a bug or just me being a complete moron but I would really like some help

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Mar 27, 2016, 04:51 AM
Have you checked the file permissions?

JCF Member

Mar 27, 2016, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerNL View Post
Have you checked the file permissions?

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 27, 2016, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
when I start any level that uses Jazz2+ features it just starts as a regular Jazz 2 level (the plus features are not working)
Can you go into a bit more detail here? Give an example of a level that isn't working for you, how it doesn't seem to be working, and how you go about running that level?

JCF Member

Mar 27, 2016, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Can you go into a bit more detail here? Give an example of a level that isn't working for you, how it doesn't seem to be working, and how you go about running that level?
There aren't many details I can share. I start Jazz2+, the interface looks like it's supposed to look like (Jazz2+ logo, Jazz2+ textured menu background, "V5.1 beta blah blah" message etc.). When I try to open a level with plus features of any kind, it just starts as I am using regular Jazz2. I tried to record but Fraps is not recognizing the game for some reason. I just go to "Home Cooked Levels" (as an example, it doesn't work anywhere) and pick any level with plus stuff. Oh, and another thing, I can see the other plus features such as seeing what cheats I typed or the sugar rush effects. I guess it just doesn't want to load the .j2as files?

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 27, 2016, 01:04 PM
Hmm. I don't have a working setup right now to test this with, but here are a couple (separate) ideas which might or might not help:
  • Try taking the "!" symbol out of your folder name
  • Try putting your JJ2 folder path into your list of Additional File Folders in plus.ini

JCF Member

Mar 27, 2016, 11:36 PM
The second suggestion fixed it. Thanks a lot!

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Mar 29, 2016, 06:04 AM
Lately, I haven't been able to host a level at all, not sure if because of the modem or because of JJ2 servers themselves ...
I wanted to play with my real life friend, but I couldn't, so we decided to play in splitscreen when he comes to my place.
And this made me think ...

Originally, the 640x400 resolution was made for 4 players to play in 320x200 on the same screen, but then the 640x480 mode has been prefered because it makes everything much easier, so ...

How about a 1280x960 screen resolution to let 4 players play in 640x480 each in Splitscreen mode?

JCF Member

Nolzi is doing well so far

Apr 7, 2016, 05:57 PM
Question

Could anyone help me out?
When I try to run the plusifier, I get this crash when I select the exe:
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	plusifier.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	4a4bfe07
  Fault Module Name:	SHELL32.dll
  Fault Module Version:	6.3.9600.18205
  Fault Module Timestamp:	56a1baf3
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	006536dc
  OS Version:	6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1038
  Additional Information 1:	1e5d
  Additional Information 2:	1e5d0d2c6fec87d873489f072c940d92
  Additional Information 3:	2696
  Additional Information 4:	26969a9a4574afea3f06530bbdffced7

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Here is a screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/DNATMn8.png

When I try with VS debugging (dont know how to use it, just looking for clues) it says:
Code:
Unhandled exception at 0x761E36DC (shell32.dll) in plusifier.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x508E7AD8.
I'm running Win8.1 x64, tried as admin, different versions (1.23 & TSF), different paths, but nothing works.

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 8, 2016, 12:56 AM
Hmmm... nothing is standing out to me in those error messages as very specific, unfortunately. Also none of us know much about Windows 8 and I'm not sure if we even have the code for plusifier. Someone might drop by who's actually used that OS and might have some suggestions, but barring that, the simplest solution might be to email or skype me and I can just send you the modified .exe files directly.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Apr 8, 2016 at 10:07 AM.
Nolzi

JCF Member

Nolzi is doing well so far

Apr 8, 2016, 05:14 AM
Oh, you gave me the idea that maybe I should try it on other machines, so I did it with a virtualized Win7 and it worked
Sorry for the troubles and thank you

(oh, and you should remove your email)

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Apr 14, 2016, 02:58 AM
Any news about the next version of jj2+?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 14, 2016, 05:10 AM
Soon™

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Apr 14, 2016, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post

Keep in mind, the Plus devs do this in their spare time, with no possibility of any monetary compensation, so updates do take a while.
Or, put another way, the Plus devs are like Valve -- they take about 10,000 years, but in the end, the final product is well worth it.

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

Apr 14, 2016, 07:49 AM
plusifier is working like IPS lunar patcher you .ips file and .smc file if it's snes rom

Administrator

Apr 14, 2016, 08:45 AM
luke11685

Banned

Apr 14, 2016, 09:12 AM
Is it your administration panel where you're even able to hide files?

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Apr 14, 2016, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
Keep in mind, the Plus devs do this in their spare time, with no possibility of any monetary compensation, so updates do take a while.
Or, put another way, the Plus devs are like Valve -- they take about 10,000 years, but in the end, the final product is well worth it.
I know, but I was just asking.

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 14, 2016, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
Within the week.

Banned

Apr 14, 2016, 03:11 PM
Quote:
So source it's still moddb or deep inside jazz2online file menager?Who knows Robo4900 when Valve Software launch Half-Life 3 maybe not one weak like jj2+ update longer than 2030,2040.Maybe never.

Last edited by luke11685; Apr 18, 2016 at 05:56 AM.