Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

An entry into a new forum, a new user's debut

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Feb 3, 2005, 01:38 PM
Personally, I think needless amounts of powerups and modifications aren't necessary. I mean, more than three per weapon is pretty much overkill.

On a side note, if it hasn't been already mentioned, RFs would probably work better in 3D if they went left and right instead of up and down.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

Baggers is doing well so far

Feb 3, 2005, 01:58 PM
Wow the third page, yeah radium I do agree with the fact that we wont be using all these weapons, 3-4 is plenty but there is definatly no harm in all this inspiration. WE can decide at a later date which will be best to use (and which of them i can succesfully code !)
The Idea of different fire modes, i feel is a good one though as long as it fits and adds a little to the game.
Thanks people, I may post a little video of the blocks and all working if you like?
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Feb 3, 2005, 05:20 PM
Ooh ooh! I like new videos!
Oh and I found this texture on a trippy trip to the third demension, it might make the grass not look so one colored(unless that was the look you were going for):

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Feb 4, 2005, 09:06 AM
Yep sure post a video with the blocks.

However, is there going to be a special levelcreator for the game.
What program do you use to make levels?

JCF Member

Feb 4, 2005, 10:46 AM
Ok ill have a go at that soon, ahh off to scotland tomorrow, Oh and just for you Noob i used the texture!
@Olsen: Right, yes there will be a level editor, which i will be writing soon...currently i use milkshape for the terrain and then place the objects and such using routines I have written, but soon I will make a proper level editor, where you can make objects, walls, particles etc, and then save the levels to be imported straight into the game. The principle coding is easy enough and fun its just making the menus that I find tedious.
However this level editor will defiantly be released with the game, maybe a bit before so you can have a play!
Ill keep you posted with that aswell as the game.
Ok im off to get that video, back soon

JCF Member

Feb 4, 2005, 11:09 AM
Ok, cool!

how will the tileset thingy work in the leveleditor?
Will it be like a 'import textures and add them to the objects' thingy?
Or will it be like a 3d tileset with objects (enitites).

anyway, good work Baggers!! GO BAGGERS!! GO BAGGERS!! GO BAGGERS!!

JCF Member

Feb 4, 2005, 11:49 AM
Haha thanks Olsen, right here is the link to the video (1.3meg) just shows a little bit of blocks being destroyed, that i havnt made yet are the blocks that are only destroyed by one bullet type, but they will be really easy to do...and then hopefully I will get the blocks activated by stomping metal crates to work! That will be cool !

http://www.unseenconcept.net/JazzJac...3d-Video05.avi

To answer your question Olsen, The editor will allow you to load in a terrain and then use the mouse to place objects and the right mouse button to select the object for manipulation, this is where you could say tell a set of locked blocks which crate opens them, or what speed a platform moves at, and its paypoints etc etc.... Most things will be prefab, but i will look into custom models, so that you could make an object in milksahep (for example) and load it straight into the game. So i guess its much more like your second option "a 3d tileset with objects". This will probably be the main thing i want to acheive over my hols after training. That and to get the new jazz/spaz models into the game !
Thanks, as allways, for your support, especialy that cheering from Olsen hehe!

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Feb 4, 2005, 11:56 AM
I can perform a lot better cheering with a little time. ;p

...nice job with those blocks, heh.

JCF Member

Feb 4, 2005, 11:56 AM
Np Baggers!

Okay i think i understand it.
This is one of the most promising Jazz 3d things i ever saw.
i like how you did the blocks falling apart thingy.

GO BAGGERS!!11 (yes, i adore you )

JCF Veteran

Feb 4, 2005, 01:08 PM
Hey thanks for using the texture Baggers!
YAY! The new video rocks. GO BAGGERS! GO-GO GO BAGGERS!

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Feb 4, 2005, 01:26 PM
If that might anyhow help with making the model, I can draw Jazz, Spaz or any other JJ character in various points of view (basically front, left, right, back, up and down).
A good idea about the music would be using all those good remixes that have been done so far.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Feb 4, 2005, 02:06 PM
Wow, i have a peek at this as im packing and this is so uplifting, I kinda wwish i wasnt going so i could do more work on it !
@?JSZ¿ JaZz!: That would be fantastic, if you would it would help imensely, also how are you with the baddies ? Oh and im starting off with the music from Jazz2 and then will defiantly have a go at the remixes !

@nOOb: Thanks and no problem ! (nice cheering by the way ! hehe)

@Everyone: Due to the fantastic responce with the weapons ideas, i was wondering how do you think the controls should function. So far i am just using keyboard for all controls bar the mouse for moving the camera relative to the character, however as you can see in the blocks videos you have to jump a fair bit to get the shots in the right place, so would a proper 'max payne style' aim be a good idea...or any of your ideas to how it should be done. please discuss it all here ! Thanks !

Ok people back to packing !
n00b

JCF Veteran

Feb 4, 2005, 05:22 PM
Hmm, whilst I'm not sure about the aiming (I'd have to play the game first), the control should be something that gamers are used to, for example, most 3d games use 'w' to move foward, 'a' to move left, 'd' to move right, and 's' to move down. Oh! And maybe 'space' for jump, and click the the left mouse button to shoot. I think thats a pretty general control scheme.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Feb 4, 2005, 05:31 PM
I propose keeping aiming close to the original and just having you fire in the direction you're facing, perhaps with 5-15 degrees of automatic aim.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Feb 4, 2005, 06:50 PM
If possible, could you code in a custom key placement system, possibly with joystick support? Thanks.

JCF Member

Feb 5, 2005, 05:33 AM
Proposed controls...
W/A/S/D - move
Space - jump
Mouse - aim
Left mouse button - shoot
Right mouse button - use/push
Mouse roller - toggle weapons
Shift - toggle run on/off
C - duck
Z - lamp (from Jazz2) on/off
1,2,3,(...),0 - select weapon, push multiple times to toggle weapons from the same type
Esc - pause (with menu)
Pause/Break - normal pause
[ - previous weapon (in case somebody doesn't have a roller in mouse)
] - next weapon (in case somebody doesn't have a roller in mouse)

And in case you'd ever need it...
Enter - inventory

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Feb 5, 2005, 09:44 AM
Hi there folks !
Right this post is actualy to say goodbye ...bust just for a week, will be back home (well...at my dad's) next sunday but untill then i wont be near a computer so I Wish you farewell thanks and have a request for you

Please, please keep chatting here about concepts for the game, especially concerning the controls, anyone who has cany concept pics for things youd like to see? then post them ! any help is welcome and will really get me going when I get back.

When i do get back i think a member (or two) of the Darkbasic forums will have the character models, '?JSZ¿ JaZz!' has offered some sketchings which will be very usful, and ill have some time to have a bash at gettin the editor running.

So until next week, Cya !

p.s. Yes i can do the custom controls that should be fine !
Oh if coming up with ideas for controls bear in mind im putting a roll right and left control in too.
Finally I will have a look into using joysticks for you, shouldnt be too hard... should take a few hours to learn.
Bye

JCF Member

Feb 5, 2005, 10:07 AM
Bye bye

JCF Veteran

Feb 5, 2005, 03:41 PM
Maybe we should take Battery Man put him in a 3d game based on Bagger's engine and release it before the Jazz game is released. It'd be like Jazz 2.... sort of.

Edit- Have fun being away for a week.

JCF Member

Feb 6, 2005, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers
Oh if coming up with ideas for controls bear in mind im putting a roll right and left control in too.
...Either "," and "." or double-tapping "A" or "D".

Have fun in the week out!

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Feb 6, 2005, 01:58 AM
Nice modeling n00b

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 6, 2005, 06:24 AM
Baggers, can you please put many Jazz1 characters in it?
I like Jazz1, and keep going on with this good work!
n00b

JCF Veteran

Feb 6, 2005, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen
Nice modeling n00b
Thanks (First time n00b has used a smilie here)
The only thing that picture of the model is missing is fingers, and I've been working on that.
Battery Check 3d would be awesome, and not too hard to program as well. Theres 1 enemy, 1 boss, 2 types of batteries, one 'npc' of sorts.(From all I can tell)
Plus the conversion to 3d wouldn't be that hard (Example:The energy suckers(enemy) would hang on something or walk on a set path until you come near and they relentlessly try to attack you unless you get away. WHich should be somewhat easy, since the suckers take a short break before they hop around again.)
But that's getting off topic I think.

JCF Member

Feb 6, 2005, 07:41 AM
Offtopic, but Baggers isn´t here so we can do whatever we want. *Evil laugh*

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 6, 2005, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
Thanks (First time n00b has used a smilie here)
The only thing that picture of the model is missing is fingers, and I've been working on that.
Battery Check 3d would be awesome, and not too hard to program as well. Theres 1 enemy, 1 boss, 2 types of batteries, one 'npc' of sorts.(From all I can tell)
Plus the conversion to 3d wouldn't be that hard (Example:The energy suckers(enemy) would hang on something or walk on a set path until you come near and they relentlessly try to attack you unless you get away. WHich should be somewhat easy, since the suckers take a short break before they hop around again.)
But that's getting off topic I think.
NPC? Where?
n00b

JCF Veteran

Feb 6, 2005, 08:42 AM
According to the readme there is a dragon or something that you can trade empty batteries to.
AFAIK it's not in the demo.
EDIT- The name is Freddy the Dragon and for every 3 empty batteries you have he would give one full one

Last edited by n00b; Feb 6, 2005 at 09:30 AM.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 6, 2005, 10:19 AM
Ah, I remember.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Feb 7, 2005, 05:57 PM
I'm just here to keep this topic alive.
Whhhheeeee!
Without Baggers, I really can't think of anything to discuss about this game.
MasterRyu

JCF Member

MasterRyu is doing well so far

Feb 7, 2005, 08:05 PM
Great work...the progress so far looks great, this might just turn out to be the game fans have been waiting for since Jazz Jackrabbit 2. While I haven't done any 3D modelling (trying to learn Blender right now tho), and have somewhat limited programming experience, I can give you a few suggestions:

Weapons:

a few basic melee weapons (to fall back on should ammo run scarce, or for those people who prefer melee combat),character specific of course, each with specials (activated when "sugar rush" meter is at least half full)

Jazz
Turtle Chopper - your basic sword with a carrot hilt, not very powerful during normal attack, but compensates by posessing greater than average speed and the ability to deflect incoming projectiles.
SPECIAL - Jazz jumps high into the air, coming crashing down (destroying any airborne enemies in the process, and creating a restricted shockwave upon hitting the ground, significantly damaging enemies in the blast radius, and stunning enemies just outside - there should be a small recovery time after the attack. [Powered Up - blast radius is slightly larger, and recovery is shortened]

Spaz
Squirrel-chucks - Spaz, being the nut that he is prefers to wield these crude nunchaku of unwilling squirrels. Weaker than Jazz's sword, but much faster..
SPECIAL - Rabid Squirrels, Spaz spins in circle, squirrels are enraged and rabid and will bite into enemies causing more damage, with the chance of turning the affected enemy against the others for a short time

*yawn* - actually, it's getting kind of late, so I think I will post more ideas later. Keep up the good work.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Feb 8, 2005, 10:31 PM
Heh heh heh. Checked the gamecreators thread, and downloaded some screenshots... Baggers, when you get back, you should know that you're using an OEM Beta version of JJ2, not the final. It doesn't really effect too much, but there are several key differences which might actually become an issue if you're actually trying to emulate the gameplay. And the gems look different, of course - you're asking people to create models for beta gems which were later redrawn.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Feb 9, 2005, 05:46 AM
Keep the OEM gems though ;(
Shiverz CC

JCF Member

Shiverz CC is doing well so far

Feb 9, 2005, 07:02 AM
I prefer the OEM Gems over the new ones. There should be a vote

JJST
Demo Completion - 90%
Game Completion - 30%

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2005, 07:37 AM
I dunno how the OEM gems look like.
Show me!

JCF Veteran

Feb 9, 2005, 08:19 AM
(Deleted on Violet's request I don't feel like explaining.)

Last edited by cooba; Feb 9, 2005 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Stuff.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 08:30 AM
Olsen
This message has been deleted by Olsen.

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks Cooba!

JCF Member

piet is doing well so far

Feb 9, 2005, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers
No, i tried to look at the site not long back but it wasnt working.
sorry about that but my webserver is kinda .... dead. i will need to get myself some new gear and than i am ready to go.

btw i have a jazz and spaz model you can use.
maybe you have a few models that Razz Arena can use to.
I will restart the project soon when the new sites gets up.

Last edited by br>piet; Feb 9, 2005 at 11:38 PM.

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2005, 11:52 PM
I think Baggers' game should get it's own model, closer to today's standards. I almost finished drawing Jazz sheet, just the look from above and below and that should be enough.

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

piet is doing well so far

Feb 10, 2005, 12:10 AM