Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

I wanna extent into reviewing multiplayer level as well but I need some help

Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Jan 4, 2016, 10:21 AM
I wanna extent into reviewing multiplayer level as well but I need some help

Here is the thing, I prefer playing the game alone, that's why I mostly review single player levels.

But I want to try reviewing battle, race, CTF, etc. levels as well. But what's the best way to do it?

Of course to properly review these I need to play the level online, and sadly that's where the problem lies. If I make a server it's very unlikely some stranger would join. And I have no friends in real life that play Jazz Jackrabbit 2 as well. So how do I review these kinds of levels?

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jan 4, 2016, 10:30 AM
Don't bother.

People who review MP levels without playing them properly never get an idea of what the level is actually like.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Jan 4, 2016, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Don't bother.

People who review MP levels without playing them properly never get an idea of what the level is actually like.
Thank you, it's been noted.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 4, 2016, 10:55 AM
You can always join other servers or get other people to host levels for you if you want to try out multiplayer levels. You can also play in JDC events and the anniversary bash. No need to be so discouraging Trey.

Quote:
And I have no friends in real life that play Jazz Jackrabbit 2 as well.
I think that's the case for most people here. Sure some people have met up with other players IRL but they first met them while playing JJ2 online.

JCF Member

Borgia is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2016, 11:20 AM
If you can host a server that works normally, I don't see why people wouldn't join. If there's a server around that I don't know, I often check it out to see what it contains. Give your server a catchy name and host some of the levels you'd like to try, and maybe we will meet someday .

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jan 4, 2016, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJazz View Post
You can always join other servers or get other people to host levels for you if you want to try out multiplayer levels. You can also play in JDC events and the anniversary bash. No need to be so discouraging Trey.
We don't know when there's going to be a future JDC though. If so, it's not going to come back in a long time.

AB is pretty casual - most players just idle and chat around, so I don't find it a good way to get an idea of the gameplay. I never got a impression of what Dissarrayed Memories gameplay was like until I did a 2v2.

I know, my explanation was lazy. It's difficult to properly playtest if you don't have JJ2 IM buddies that are willing to play (and have no access to Camel Duels).

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Jan 6, 2016, 01:49 AM
If you want to review a CTF level, here are a few things you need to know about CTF:
A CTF level consists of 2 bases and 2 teams. Each team must take the opponent's flag to his own base. The opponents will shoot the flag holder down. If he dies, the flag will return to its owner's base.
In a good CTF level, there must be various paths the flag holder can take. If there's one only path, the player will be certainly shot down, and the game will go on forever.
A few advices for both battle and CTF games: There must be a variety of weapons and goodies all around. The most powerful pickups should also be the rarest and best hidden ones. In general, the ammunitions should be floating 2 or more tiles above the player. Otherwise, he can get them too easily.
All paths should be smooth enough for the player to run through them with ease. The ceiling should be tall enough to allow the player to dodge the enemy bullets.
Don't place more than 1 or 2 dead ends in your levels. In general, you shouldn't place any dead ends at all, but if you're good enough at making levels, you may place 1 or 2 in very strategical places.