Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

tell some of the levels what u are buiding and goning on j2o

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Jun 20, 2010, 06:59 AM
Nice screens dodges.

though i'd like to see more 'Shadow work', relief and perspective in your work.

JCF Member

Toni should make better posts

Jun 20, 2010, 07:46 AM
very nice dod!

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Jun 24, 2010, 01:16 PM

My contest entry

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jun 25, 2010, 12:00 AM
Nice tilesets Dodges (though I still don't like the first one), original tileset use snz.
Here's what will be my contest entry:

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Jun 25, 2010, 09:06 PM

The last set was looking too much like a cheap Townsville ][.

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Jun 26, 2010, 04:29 AM
I liked everything in this screenshot except the bricks are quite blurry while the soil isn't at all.
Feaw

JCF Member

Feaw is doing well so far

Jul 2, 2010, 04:06 PM

First level of a 5 level SP pack I'm working on.

3 screens of the 2nd level. Is still unfinished, and doesn't have much eyecandy yet.

I'm kinda losing interest already (always have that with just about anything), but I'm sure this one'll be finished. Lvl 1 is totally finished, 2 almost, technical-wise, because it still has to be improved and eyecandy added. I already started doing the beginning of lvl 3.
So yeah, may or may not finish it, if not, the first 2 levels will be released on their own =/.

JCF Member

Jul 2, 2010, 08:10 PM
Looks pretty good!

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 2, 2010, 08:46 PM
I would get a second or even a third leaf animation at a different speed in that Diamondus level, but you seem to know what you're doing and I look forward to it! Yours is not an item placement style I particularly enjoy, but oh well, lots of sugar rushes is always helpful.

JCF Member

Feaw is doing well so far

Jul 3, 2010, 05:06 AM
Well, the leaves already have an unique style anyway, at least I think it's never been done before like this; the layer they're in is huge, and the leaves eventually are out of sight, but later they come again, like as if the storm kinda slowed donw for a bit and picks up the pace again after that. But I guess I can add some variations within the leaves 'emselves, yeah.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Jul 3, 2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
I would get a second or even a third leaf animation at a different speed in that Diamondus level
You could also create another animation at the same speed, but starting at a different point in the sequence.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 3, 2010, 11:00 AM
On coming and going: I played with a similar effect in the example level to Sandy Sunset, but yeah, it's very rarely done. Kudos.

JCF Member

Sacrush is doing well so far

Jul 3, 2010, 04:06 PM
Those levels does look enjoyable.

On coming and going: I played with a similar effect in the level Wonderful Waterfalls, but yeah, it's very rarely done. Kudos.

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Jul 3, 2010, 11:44 PM

I know, the ground is empty. I will deal with it later.
FOX292

JCF Member

FOX292 is doing well so far

Jul 4, 2010, 05:14 AM
J96:
Nice, but quite messy part.... Players could hide here.

This is Technoir remake using Noka's awesome tilesets(Lavapolis and Toxicus-1.23 compatiable remakes of Technoir)

Level 1 is done(screenshot):

Right now I work on the second(and last, I assume) level:

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jul 6, 2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX292 View Post
Right now I work on the second(and last, I assume) level
But Technoir has three levels...
FOX292

JCF Member

FOX292 is doing well so far

Jul 7, 2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
But Technoir has three levels...
Yes I know, but I don't thinking about making secret lvl....
Old Jul 7, 2010, 09:41 AM
FOX292
This message has been deleted by FOX292. Reason: doulbe post by mistake

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Jul 8, 2010, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snzspeed View Post

More SP
WARNING PEOPLE, if you try use these tilesets without credit for Snooze...
It will be really bad for you...

Nice tileset, Snooze!

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Jul 9, 2010, 11:11 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feaw View Post

First level of a 5 level SP pack I'm working on.

3 screens of the 2nd level. Is still unfinished, and doesn't have much eyecandy yet.

I'm kinda losing interest already (always have that with just about anything), but I'm sure this one'll be finished. Lvl 1 is totally finished, 2 almost, technical-wise, because it still has to be improved and eyecandy added. I already started doing the beginning of lvl 3.
So yeah, may or may not finish it, if not, the first 2 levels will be released on their own =/.

Beach levels looks nicely!
~sorry for quote spam

JCF Member

Jul 19, 2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah, still there are some tile bugs in tile set, and I will fix it soon, when I back from a vacation (28th/29th). I don't know how to name this tileset :P.

Image 1 (tiles for eyecandy and BG) :

Image 2 (more tiles for eyecandy) :

Image 3 (Vine):

Image 4 (Tubes, blocks, Moon (or Sun :P ), arrows, and tiles for BG with NOT ANIMATED waterfall (I'll make animation when I back from a vacation). Tell me which tube style is better, or should I use both? The grey ones in blocks, and blue ones in jungle)

JCF Member

Jul 20, 2010, 02:05 AM
A single player episode I'm working on:

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Jul 20, 2010, 02:56 AM
I like the look of the set in the first screenshot. The background especially is appealing, as it looks dense and natural, although it would be nice if there could be a tree or two sticking out of the canopy just for a little more variety. The planet selection screen and the spaceship look decent too.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jul 20, 2010, 04:06 AM
Speaking of the planet selection, how is it going to be handled? JJ2+ allows for multiple exits, but there isn't really a way to track which levels you have already played. So, when the player is returned to the planet selector, will they just have the option of replaying planets or what? Also, how will you handle progression in this case?

All I can see working is you either have a new weapon obtained on each planet (and you need all of them to play the final one), or you have some sort of branching system.

JCF Member

Jul 20, 2010, 07:37 PM
I'm not absolutely certain how I'm doing it, but I'm most likely going to have seperate j2ls for different points in the story. The main concept is that you can go back to other planets even if you've been there already, and they'll probably have different missions or something. I'm going to fine-tune it so it doesn't use too much filespace though. The jungle level is the only thing that's really finished so far, and the ship level is a tad rushed at the moment. The second screenshot is supposed to be zoomed-in on the little control panel in the ship. I'll fix it, though.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Jul 20, 2010, 09:41 PM
Ah I see how this could work. Brilliant! EvilMike, I'd say he's beaten you :P

Good luck! It looks really good so far!

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 20, 2010, 09:48 PM
You can achieve the basic effect with JJ2+, secret level exits, and trigger zones, and if you wanted the planets to be different on subsequent visits, those could simply be different .j2l files. Really truly being able to go back to levels (as in actual .j2l files) would be a touch harder; you could use one of the methods to pass a warp destination at the beginning of a level and a lot of trigger zones, but I can see that being a pain to implement, particularly if you wanted checkpoints.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Jul 20, 2010 at 10:03 PM.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jul 21, 2010, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
I'm not absolutely certain how I'm doing it, but I'm most likely going to have seperate j2ls for different points in the story. The main concept is that you can go back to other planets even if you've been there already, and they'll probably have different missions or something. I'm going to fine-tune it so it doesn't use too much filespace though. The jungle level is the only thing that's really finished so far, and the ship level is a tad rushed at the moment. The second screenshot is supposed to be zoomed-in on the little control panel in the ship. I'll fix it, though.
Edit: Most of the stuff in this post is wrong, as proven by violet's example below. So read that instead.

Something like this could work; however you may wind up using a lot of j2l files depending on how complex you want it to be.

For example, let's say you have five planets, and each of those planets has two "missions". Beating a mission makes it so the next time you select the planet, you play the 2nd mission. Beating the 2nd mission locks the planet from being selected (you have cleared the planet). Finally, the episode tracks which missions you have beaten, so once you beat all 10 you win. (Note that I am not assuming this is how your pack works. I am merely presenting this as an example of what the structure of a non-linear SP episode might look like.)

If you wanted to do something like this, you'd either need an insanely complicated trigger system + exploit bugs with warp targets, or you'd need multiple j2l files. The former would be hard (read: nearly impossible) to pull off, and would introduce a bunch of problems you probably don't want to deal with. The latter would be more doable, but you'd require a staggering number of j2l files. You'd need to account for every combination, plus variations of the hub level, so for just those 10 missions, the number of j2l files could be in the range of 200-250 (depending on just how much freedom the player is allowed to have, and some other factors).

I don't mean to discourage you here. However, I do think you should plan very carefully how your level pack is going to be structured, since it would suck if you were to hit a brick wall half way through developing it. There ARE ways to avoid the 200+ file scenario I described, and I am sure you've anticipated this a bit and have your own ideas. I can think of a few ways to solve this problem, myself.

As a side note, I hope this post also illustrates one of the major limitations still present in JJ2, that being the fact that it is very difficult to pass information between levels. Multiple exits are nice, but because very little information is carried between levels (without exploiting warp targets), it is hard to make a non-linear SP pack without having duplicates of levels.

Two things would help with this: (a) A flag on level exit events that, if set to 1, causes the game to pass things like triggers, player health, coins, etc to the next level rather than resetting them; and (b) An "exit ID" field which, if nonzero, sends the player to the corresponding "start ID" in the next level.

The fact that triggers reset on player death is also a bit of a problem, but I don't think this can be solved unless a level setting is added (maybe jj2+ could behave this way if the level is set to "vertical split screen" mode, since no one uses that option).

Last edited by EvilMike; Jul 21, 2010 at 01:45 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 21, 2010, 01:21 AM
We're not even pretending to be on-topic.

Okay, based on Mike's post, I think maybe I'm missing something, so I decided to illustrate what I meant. (JJ2+ only.) The log on the left demonstrates how to have individual missions of more than one level in length; the log on the right shows multiple missions in a single planet where you have to go to the next one by choice. The two systems are obviously and easily combinable and you can play all the missions in any order you like. What else is necessary?

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2010, 01:43 AM
Ah, that uses a property of secret level exits I was unware of. I didn't realize you could have more than one, and have JJ2 remember you visiting each one. Of course, that behaviour was implicit in the JJ2+ readme, but I guess it never got through my head. I am also surprised to learn that triggers are preserved in the hub level, even if you go off and visit other levels.

That's neat. It's a really nice example of what can be done, and a system using the sort of hub you've demonstrated will completely avoid the 200+ level problem I described above. It's more flexible than the solutions I had in mind, too, and functions very smoothly (it doesn't feel like a weird hack). I'm quite impressed. This is one of the coolest things I've seen done with JJ2 in a while. I highly recommend you create a tutorial of some sort, for other people. I can understand how it works by looking in JCS, but there could be a lot to gain from some sort of jcsref article.

(just so you know, I wasn't thinking of secret level exits at all when I wrote my long post. I was assuming regular level exits would have to be used)

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 21, 2010, 01:58 AM
Oh, okay! I've been meaning to write an article about end of level events for some years now, but JJ2+ definitely swirls things around, adding some new possibilities and removing a couple. JJ2's always done a great job with its basic secret level functionality (not the bonus signpost, the other kind), it's just unfortunately always been really hard to use. (I had a system for making the regular secret level event work, actually, but I never really released it, and now it's redundant. Psh.)

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2010, 06:33 PM
Phew. I was going to have it so that there were different 'scenarios' for each planet. Every so often during the story you go back to your ship. From there you'd be able to select the planets etc. The planet that progresses that story would have a normal end level event leading to it, but the other planets that have already been visited would have secret level exits. All up I would have about 10 .j2ls for the ship, and only one .j2l for each planet's 'scenario'. That way you would keep going and 'unlock' more planets as you go. Sort of like Ratchet and Clank really. The problem with that simple solution, though, is that you can't visit the same non-story planet twice in a row before moving on to the next.
I wasn't going to quite use 'missions' as such, except at certain points where you could go to another planet to get a powerup or something. It made more sense in my head, really.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 21, 2010, 06:59 PM
In theory, you could still use just a single hub level for that, but splitting it into multiple copies makes more sense if you want it to change in any significant way between story-advancing planets.

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2010, 07:30 PM
Well, you'd change the ship's destination and step into a warp that isn't there yet. The .j2l would have about as many ships in it as there are planets unlocked, and you'd go through the planet select screen back to one of the ships, and each one would have a different end level event.
Though I had a proper look at your example, and you could probably 'reset' the once-only secret level event by reloading the hub every time you finish a secret level. Just put an end level event next to the secret level event. Mind you, I could probably just use triggers and squish it down from 10 or so hub levels to one. That would make things a bit more complicated, but I think it would work better and save space.

EDIT:
Also, beating a boss in a secret level sends you to the next level instead of back to the hub, so that's another reason to have more than one.

Last edited by Obi1mcd; Jul 23, 2010 at 12:23 AM.
snzspeed

JCF Member

Aug 17, 2010, 09:51 PM

Remaking levels from other games = absolute win

EDIT: I am aware the outline is buggy.. ill fix it later

JCF Member

Aug 17, 2010, 11:52 PM
So, which game is that from? I can't quite tell.

JCF Member

Aug 18, 2010, 01:22 AM
hmm snz, nice idea, but.. remaking tilesets from a games? I have one game what has really nice tileset. That is "Hurrican"

Link to download (it is official site of this game):
http://turrican.gamevoice.de/hurrican_site/

JCF Member

Aug 21, 2010, 06:18 AM

I was bored

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Aug 21, 2010, 07:54 AM
Haha, interesting. What happened to the background?

JCF Éminence Grise

Aug 21, 2010, 10:40 AM
That looks like a fairly bright mountain color. And I notice you're not showing the panel... hmmmm.