Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Hey coders!

Toni_

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Nov 14, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hey coders!

From what I saw while being active in this game, I can be sure that there are a lot of great coders. Most of you use different language as a main language, but most of you know the other coding languages. I was thinking for a while, why are you all making such as programs for JJ2, editing it's bugs etc. And then I came to the answer. It's probably because you like this game, and because you wanna get your coding skills better. It's nice, to be honest.

As far as I know, there are some known programmers: Grytolle, Shelly, Violet, DJazzy, blur, NerD, Sfaizst, zapS, GLaDOS, wKtK and some more what I forgot... Not sure about their activity in JJ2, but this is not about JJ2.

I was thinking for a while about new games. And then I came up with an idea. A great idea. It's realistic. Why don't you guys make a group, online group, and try to make a game. Most of people who make tilesets here are good with drawing, for example Sir Ementaler, Violet (yes, again), Obi1mcd, Gus, Disguise etc. You just need to get an idea, what game could you try to make, it's possibilities, gameplay, graphics, 2D/3D... You just need a good organization, and will. Not going to say free time, because you all code in free time and you probably have it.
- Organizer can be someone who is respectable person, has a good knowledge of leading something, experienced, in one or another way etc. I'm not going to suggest me, because I don't see me in this.
- You all have some projects going on atm. You can finish them, or leave them, or progressing them at the same time as this project, and after finishing them, you can be 100% in this project. The only thing is that you WANT to make something.

This will be similar like LMAT, but first I need your confirmation on do you want to be in this project. Second, if you get in this project, you must be loyal! Don't leave it after some time. Third, when you confirm, and if you confirm, we, everyone, can start making a plan of a new game, telling some wishes, tips, etc.

If you don't want to be in this project, it's okay. I just thought that this could be more useful than making other projects what probably wouldn't be published and be popular. We all can make a great marketing in our countries about this game, and it can be more popular than JJ2 (NOT SAYING THAT JJ2 SHOULD DIE OR ANYTHING SIMILAR. I LUV JJ2).

So, we start from nothing. Waiting for your confirmation, here.

- Coders - will code the game
- Painters - will draw
- Organizer - will be a captain
- Anyone experienced in playing games - thinks of gameplay, it's mode, it's structure...
- Supervisors - will make this game popular

NOTE: Anyone can be in this project. It's public for now, until an organizer comes and possibly changes it.

*if you dislike this idea, tell what should be changed, and why is it bad*
*you/we all can gain some money, but tbh it's not about money, it's about fun*

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Nov 14, 2011, 04:47 PM
I think this is the forum you're looking for? And it's not as if we haven't tried before.

(Although, I gotta say, kid, you've got moxie. Most team threads at least have the poster proposing themselves as a team leader... you go a step farther than that by not proposing your involvement at all.)

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Nov 14, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'll be able to playtest. I pick up games purrdy quickly.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Nov 14, 2011, 09:17 PM
I am actually curious as to whether any other JJ2ers have done any game development. There are tons of people in this community that good at level design, graphic design, or music. There don't seem to be many interested in doing it for a job.

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Nov 14, 2011, 09:24 PM
I can help only by saying - Good luck

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Nov 14, 2011, 09:56 PM
If some project kicks up, I'm happy to help with atleast the gameplay / level desing parts, and maybe some code too.

JCF Member

djazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHART

Nov 15, 2011, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
I am actually curious as to whether any other JJ2ers have done any game development. There are tons of people in this community that good at level design, graphic design, or music. There don't seem to be many interested in doing it for a job.
If it's something web-based, just ask me
See these games/engines/experiments I have made:

Zelda
http://jazzjackrabbit.net/DJ/Zelda/

Minecraft 2D
http://djazz.mine.nu/apps/Minecraft2D/

JJ2 clones
http://djazz.mine.nu/apps/WebJJ2/ (Latest)
http://jazzjackrabbit.net/DJ/WebJJ2/ (Old version)
http://jazzjackrabbit.net/DJ/oldWebJJ2/ (Ancient)
http://jazzjackrabbit.net/DJ/LvlView/ (Experiment)

JCS clones
http://djazz.mine.nu/files/WebJCS+Node.zip (Latest)
http://jazzjackrabbit.net/DJ/newWebJCS/ (Old version)
http://jazzjackrabbit.net/DJ/WebJCS/ (Ancient)

Misc
http://djazz.mine.nu/apps/JSgame3/
http://djazz.mine.nu/apps/MinecraftSkin/ (First contact with 3D)
Level Packer v2 - With a GUI!
PHP Tileset Compiler

JCF Member

Nov 15, 2011, 02:11 AM
I'd be very happy indeed to help compose some of the soundtrack, however good/bad it may turn out. Music is actually my main interest. Aside from running rabbits with guns.

JCF Member

Lithium is an asset to this forum

Nov 15, 2011, 05:18 AM
I can help with the ideas, if you need some.

JCF Member

Nov 15, 2011, 06:01 AM
I might be interested in helping. I'm moderately interested in game design, and I've been focusing on trying to create a game lately. However, is the idea all that practical? Group projects are fun and all, but if anyone wants to do it seriously, you'd not a lot of dedication, along with somebody to actually be in charge. Collaborative efforts tend to dwindle down and die after a while. Look at the current LMAT slowing down already.

JCF Member

Nov 15, 2011, 07:09 AM
I'd definitely be able to dedicate myself since this would involve my main interest. LMAT is definitely more of a fun thing for me, but I'd take this kind of project somewhat more seriously.

In another circumstance I'd also possibly suggest for me to be the organizer but the musicians just don't do that.

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Nov 15, 2011, 10:16 AM
I've dabbled a little bit in creating games, but nothing beyond a couple simple things in gamemaker or flash. Mostly, I get really excited about an idea, go to work for a while, then realize just how much work creating a worthwhile game is.

I'm interested in the project, and it looks like there are several other very talented people who might contribute, but I'm still a bit skeptical about if this will get organized enough to produce anything.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left
Toni_

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Nov 15, 2011, 10:35 AM
@Unkown Rabbit, I'm not looking for that forum. I know that Possum is an abandoned project, but from what I saw it looks like JJ2 just with different textures. Maybe I'm wrong. This project should be more serious and should have loyal people in it.

@DJazzy, it's not decided will it be a web browser game, or not. I see that you're experienced with that, and you wanna help. It's nice to hear.

@Obi1mcd & Sean, completely agreed. But then, on the other hand, Sean and me said that this should be more serious project than LMAT. Also, Sean, that's the main reason why I didn't want me to be a leader of this group. I'm not experienced, and a normal guy shouldn't be an organizer. I suggest DJazzy/UR if they're in. They will do the most of job (mainly coding).

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 15, 2011, 10:50 AM
Even without disputing whether Possum was intended to have more differences from JJ2 than textures, that forum hasn't been called Possum Forest for many years. The title is "Further Game Development." Other games have also hung out there, from Mechaius to M.I.A. to Openjazz, not all of them even strictly fangames. This is a topic about game development; it is exactly the forum you are looking for.

Since you attempt to volunteer me to lead your project, I will say that after MLLE, my plan is to retool its rendering code into a .j2l-running game engine, with basic code for objects, mask detection, and so forth. That basic engine will be able to branch off in different directions (different games), and MLLE can be expanded as needed to support new versions of the .j2l format required for those different directions (e.g. alternate numbers or orders of layers, level scripts, and so forth). Most ambitiously, I want to implement a game with externally stored objects and characters, so instead of just downloading additional levels, for instance, you can also download additional characters and use them to play through existing levels. But MLLE isn't done yet, so that's a while down the line. If someone wants to help with that somehow (e.g. writing a better program than Jazz Sprite Dynamite), I might be open to that, but otherwise, unless one of you has a really really great idea, I'm almost certainly not going to jump ship and be the main coder for some other game design entirely.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Nov 15, 2011, 12:16 PM
I'm going to wait until you find a programmer and decide things such as genre and theme before I make up my mind about it. Generally, I like the idea of doing something I like, cooperating with people I like and getting money after I finish. Things I can do are pixel art, beta testing (I'm one of the best SP players around which might come in useful), level design and design of some other game-related stuff. Note that I'm fully useless in creation of 3D games though. Also, if you don't find a serious programmer who's willing to help, I'm really awesome at GML, but then again, it's just GML.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Nov 15, 2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I'm going to wait until you find a programmer and decide things such as genre and theme before I make up my mind about it.
Yeah, what kind of a game you want? I can make up stories and give ideas for any type of a game, but we should first have an idea of what are we going to do. I'd like to work on a RPG or a 2D strategy or something, but if you have thought of something else, please say it.

JCF Member

Nov 15, 2011, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Yeah, what kind of a game you want? I can make up stories and give ideas for any type of a game, but we should first have an idea of what are we going to do. I'd like to work on a RPG or a 2D strategy or something, but if you have thought of something else, please say it.
Storytelling is MY job, no arguments.

JCF Member

Nov 15, 2011, 09:49 PM
Well, programming isn't my strong point. I only know a little bit of Java, but not enough to make a game with. A couple of people have mentioned Game Maker, but has anyone here tried Construct?

JCF Member

Nov 16, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hey. Hey guys. Guys. I'm going to sound like a crazed fanboy here and three-quarters of this post will indeed be a fanboy speaking and forcing the rational part to agree, but the rational part agrees. So yeah.

Long story short, we should do a Homestuck game.

I know, I know, we're not all into it, but there's a few good reasons for us to make a fan game.

- It'll be easy to convert the story into a video game format without it losing too much of its charm
- There's already a fantastic plot line in place for us (this point will be up for debate)
- A lot of the flash assets can be easily converted into a playable game rather than keeping it as an animation
- All the stupid commands can be listed as an 'objective' and for kicks, there's a key you have to press to wave off an idiotic command
- Sudden shift in character focus is more hilarious in a video game

I could go on for a while, but clearly this is an idea. Naturally Hussie would have to approve of such a thing. Also naturally most of you would object.

But there's an idea.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 16, 2011, 07:10 PM
You might have better luck here. Or maybe specifically here, I dunno. I just think if you want to make a fangame of a specific work, you'll have more luck going to the community of that work, rather than some other one entirely.

JCF Member

Nov 16, 2011, 07:18 PM
I've already thought about those forums, but I'd rather not, really.

JCF Member

Nov 16, 2011, 10:31 PM
It sounds like a nice idea, and hundreds of people have had the same nice idea. Plus, Homestuck is absolutely massive. I think a more unique game would be better.

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2011, 05:44 AM
Indeed.

It'll be much more fun to think of a cool RPG plot, or a setting for a 2D strategy!

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2011, 06:34 AM
Well, we need to discuss whether or not people want to actually get into this thing before anyone can start work on a script.

For the record, if this kicks off, count me in.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Nov 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
I decided to make a list of people who posted in this thread and how could they help in this project. Stuff I consider useful in creation of the game is in bold.
JaRU - dunno.
UR - is not willing to help.
Sean - music, beta testing, ideas, storytelling.
Obi - art perhaps?
CR - is wishing us good luck.
Jake - coding perhaps?, gameplay design, level design.
DJazzy - web stuff.
Lith - ideas, storytelling.
Trog - dunno.
SE - art, coding (<- if you can call GM "coding"), beta testing, gameplay design, level design.

Ideas, storytelling and gameplay design aren't in bold because imo anyone could help with that. Beta testing and level design aren't in bold because in this community most of people can help with that as well. Note that I don't mean to insult people who offered help in this matter. Web stuff isn't in bold because at the moment we don't know if we need that.

That doesn't look good if you want to know. The basic team would have at most 4 people. Additionally I suppose Jake wouldn't be interested in using GML nor writing the main code, so it'd be basically my game with Obi's art and Sean's music. That doesn't sound very exciting. Also work wouldn't progress much faster than if I was just making the game myself.

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2011, 03:01 PM
Good luck making something effective with GML
Seriously, the main game engine should be written with C++ or some similar language.

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2011, 03:27 PM
Well, if you want to know, GML is quite powerful in its latest version. Nonetheless I agree a serious language should be used. Serious programmers don't seem to be interested though.

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2011, 07:10 PM
Obi has remarked himself that he doesn't have much experience with things unrelated to pixel art. Depending on what kind of game this might end up becoming an important detail.

Just thought I should put that out there.

EDIT: Also, just to note, I'm a little sick of RPGs. I'd rather not have this turn into an RPG.

Last edited by Sean; Nov 17, 2011 at 07:47 PM.

JCF Member

Nov 17, 2011, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Good luck making something effective with GML
Seriously, the main game engine should be written with C++ or some similar language.
Ever played Spelunky?
Anyways, yeah, I could do art, if the others are serious about trying to do this. Like Sean said, though, if the art style strays out of pixel-art-territory, then I'll be pretty useless.
On the subject of what language to use, I'm not quite sure. The main question is whether any of us have the time/skill/dedication to make a game engine in C++ or something from scratch. I've been experimenting with Scirra's Construct lately, and it seems like a good, free alternative to Game Maker, for those that don't want to buy the pro version.
http://www.scirra.com/construct-classic

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2011, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
Ideas, storytelling and gameplay design aren't in bold because imo anyone could help with that.
You would be surprised how many people can't even think of a simple story, or plan level design. Also, story is quite important, you can't have a good game without a story.

I can make up more complex stories. I might also work on art, but nothing too advanced.

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2011, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
You would be surprised how many people can't even think of a simple story, or plan level design. Also, story is quite important, you can't have a good game without a story.

I can make up more complex stories. I might also work on art, but nothing too advanced.
What did I say about stories and my job? I put together a half-assed story for my SP pack that's mostly intended as humorous, but I can put together a fantastic story if I need to.

The rivalry begins.

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2011, 08:33 AM
This doesn't seem like going anywhere. Stop posting how good are you at having ideas and start posting ideas. Original, detailed gameplay descriptions that everyone here will like, so we can make a decision what are we making, if anything.

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2011, 08:59 AM
We haven't yet decided what we're making it with.
But for suggestions on gameplay, I'd recommend a sidescrolling adventure game. I don't know about details, but I like the approach taken in Cave Story, now that I've played it, and we could possibly do something similar. Not outright copying the formula, but taking some inspiration from it at the very least.

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2011, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
We haven't yet decided what we're making it with.
It's not a hard decision considering that I'm the only person here who is actually interested in writing the main code and the only thing I'm experienced enough at is GML. Or am I wrong?

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2011, 09:13 AM
Well, that's what I'm trying to decide. I'm semi-comfortable with Construct, but it may be better for each of us to focus on only one aspect of the game. Multiple people coding could easily become an issue if different strategies are used.

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2011, 09:19 AM
*takes a look at GML*
It seems to look like Javascript. How about taking up Unity3D, SE?

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2011, 09:51 AM
This Unity thing looks so awesome that I have no idea why have I never heard about it. At the moment I'm more interested in learning C++, but someday I'll probably take a look at it.

Well Obi, it's not as much about different strategies as it is about GM not being Construct. We can't use both, therefore yes, only one of us can program. I use GM for approximately 5 years, so I think I'll do fine if you leave it to me. Also, I have nearly no personal life, which is quite useful.

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2011, 09:57 AM
Well, if you're willing to focus on the engine, that's fine. I'm happy to do some art, but it might be better if someone else is also interested. Keep in mind that while I'm happy to contribute, I have a few other projects to work on, including another game. So yeah, I can do it, but real life may take some of my time instead sometimes.
Anyways, anyone else have suggestions for gameplay then?

JCF Member

Nov 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure how a side scrolling game would be conducive to a good story. Side scrolling games almost always end up with a) a fantasy story, b) a silly story, c) a never ending story, and so on and so forth. Maybe something more like a top-down perspective on the character?

Also, anyone have experience in Java? It seems like something that can be used to create a decent game.

JCF Éminence Grise

Nov 18, 2011, 04:05 PM
Do you have some examples of games that do have good stories, and then concrete reasons of why those stories could not have been conveyed from a side-scrolling perspective?