Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » JJ2+ Issue Tracker

Feature Request Borderless, non-resolution changing fullscreen?

JCF Member

Darkhog is notorious for his worthless posts

Dec 8, 2017, 05:03 PM
Borderless, non-resolution changing fullscreen?

We know these things about JJ2 and JJ2+

- It can run in a window
- If you change size of the window, the game will stretch to fill it (though it won't respect 4:3 aspect ratio and will stretch badly if you change window to a non-4:3 size). It won't show more of the level, it will just stretch the rendered image.

Given these two facts, could be a non-resolution changing fullscreen method be developed that would fill the screen with the game (though something would need to be done about "not preserving correct aspect ratio" part)?

Technically, the game would still run in a window, just that the window would have no border, fill up entire screen and menu bar would be hidden as well. Such solution would help people who still want to play JJ, but have issues due to their GPUs/screens not supporting the resolutions the game was designed in mind with.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
╲___) (___╱  TUX LOVES YOU.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 8, 2017, 05:06 PM
Is this like the "windowed fullscreen" mode many modern games have?

JCF Member

Dec 8, 2017, 05:13 PM
Yeah, the idea is basically this, though in modern games it usually renders at native resolution instead of rendering at lower and upscaling as this would be case with JJ2 for technical reasons.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Dec 8, 2017, 07:13 PM
But this should not replace fullscreen mode.

Because widescreen resolutions like 800x450 (Which I use) only works with full screen.

Windowed mode also sucks because of the lack of vsync. Game just renders above 100 FPS and that unlocked framerate looks unsmooth as hell on 60Hz or 75Hz.

So if we are getting Borderless windowed mode as a feature, the game should be able to use full screen resolutions on window mode and force Vsync.

JCF Member

Dec 14, 2017, 12:26 PM
It is possible to use VSync in a windowed game, so this is rather on the way JJ2 is written than any technical hurdles. And widescreen resolution could be used in borderless as well, though as I've said, the scaling algorithm in windowed JJ2 would need to be changed to respect the aspect ratio of the selected in-game resolution instead of scaling it all the way, no matter if it's widescreen or 4:3.

How hard it would be to do, I do not know. But it certainly would be possible and should definitely be done at some point in future as less and less graphic cards support old resolutions that are less than 800x600 or even 1024x768. And not everyone wants to play in a small window.

Remember, there are no impossible things, there is only lack of skills needed to complete the task. And I just know JJ2+ team has all what it takes to do this.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 14, 2017, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
Remember, there are no impossible things, there is only lack of skills needed to complete the task. And I just know JJ2+ team has all what it takes to do this.
There is also lack of time, or lack of motivation. Again, please refrain from deciding for us (the JJ2+ team) how much work something will be or how feasible it is. You don't have enough information to make accurate estimates, and you're not the one doing the work, so it's not relevant anyway.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Dec 14, 2017, 04:05 PM
Actually with modern GPU driver, it's been easier than before to use resolutions like 320x240.

Heck, I can go as low as 160x100 lol. It's possible now because of GPU scaling. When you set the scaling to GPU instead of your monitor, you can actually set resolutions like 320x240/ 320x224 etc etc and monitor will think its still using native resolution because GPU does the scaling.

That being said, borderless window will have it's use because last time I tried JJ2 with latest creators update, the game CTO ed again when I alt-tabbed. It was apparently fixed in Anniversary update, but now it came back with creators update. I can't test now because I don't have JJ2 installed anymore.

The more apparent issue is that JJ2 will blackout if you alt tab, but the sounds will still play in back screen. Now the only way to fix it is by switching to window mode and then switching to fullscreen again. But if you use widescreen resolutions like 800x450, then JJ2 will refuse to turn into window mode.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 05:32 AM
Jelly Jam
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: no memes
elvisish

JCF Member

elvisish has disabled reputation

Mar 4, 2019, 02:17 PM
Any plans for this still?

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Apr 18, 2023, 11:22 AM
This has been implemented and will be available in a future JJ2+ release.