Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ Suggestions

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Mar 1, 2015, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Well, Domination is a gamemode introduced in Plus that initially didn't have levels other than Blur's example. It's still underplayed with only a handful of good levels, but that doesn't mean any unique gamemode requiring new level designs hasn't got potential.
That and flag run are as far as I know the only exceptions so far, and only introduced because they were directly inspired by the success of those modes in other games. The main difference between then and now, as already brought up by Violet last time somebody suggested a game mode, is that back then there were no publicly available tools required by level designers to make such custom modes work. There are now. If a mode that requires specially designed levels becomes popular enough, as in, there will be enough levels made specifically for it, we may consider implementing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
I've seen decent maps on Elecrton's server.
My statement was purely and directly motivated by extensive knowledge regarding the quality of levels on said server.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Last edited by Sir Ementaler; Mar 1, 2015 at 05:58 AM.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Mar 1, 2015, 05:47 AM
I find the many levels designed for them to be bad. Annoying dead-ends, incredibly cramped paths, and overcomplicated. Or worst case, not being able to attack the frogs at all. With the way the levels are made, they're a glorified hide and seek.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ
Old Mar 1, 2015, 06:16 AM
Jelly Jam
This message has been deleted by Jelly Jam.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Mar 7, 2015, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
This is already done in the next release.
/corpsedelay
In fact, here's a screenshot, since I kept talking about this last night.

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Mar 7, 2015, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
/corpsedelay
Well this screenshot shows that the corpse in JJ2 when you die will still be there, and also shows that you changed how the score looks in CTF, which isn't a major change.

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 7, 2015, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
Well this screenshot shows that the corpse in JJ2 when you die will still be there
yes, if you notice, that's what the post I was quoting was about

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Mar 8, 2015, 12:46 AM
Oh yes, dead corpse. This is the best update ever made in JJR+ in my opinion. This made me really excited for next release of JJR+

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Mar 8, 2015, 12:46 AM
It's called JJ2+

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2015, 12:48 AM
Ok, the best JJ2+ version of the best game JJR2. Correct enough I guess.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Mar 8, 2015, 12:49 AM
It's called JJ2

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2015, 12:53 AM
Dude, why is it so much troublesome to you if I call it JJR2? Jazz JackRabbit= JJR to me.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Mar 8, 2015, 12:58 AM
Quote:
/corpsedelay
Cool! And this was pictured in yesterday's event, wasn't it ;D

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Mar 8, 2015, 01:32 AM
Quote:
yes, if you notice, that's what the post I was quoting was about
Also when I hover over it, it says /corpsedelay
hehe, sneaky little command hidden, right?

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Mar 8, 2015, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
Dude, why is it so much troublesome to you if I call it JJR2? Jazz JackRabbit= JJR to me.
Because:
a) Jazz Jackrabbit is a full name of the protagonist and therefore its initials are J.J. and can under no circumstances be anything else (unless he has an unknown middle name, in case of which however it goes in the middle, as in J.X.J.);
b) "Jackrabbit" is a word in the English language written always as a single word and never separately or with a hyphen;
c) Official sources regarding Jazz Jackrabbit use "JJ" as its abbreviation, for example Jazz Jackrabbit 2 cheat codes.
Therefore shortening "Jazz Jackrabbit" to "JJR" is always incorrect and doesn't make any more sense than shortening it to "JZJKRBT" instead. It's a matter of incorrect usage of English, plus a matter of misspelling the title of the game this forum focuses around; there's absolutely no capital "R" in Jazz Jackrabbit.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 8, 2015, 03:09 AM
who cares

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Mar 8, 2015, 04:02 AM
Does he? How about I Don't Know?

Anyway, Cooba, Sir Ementaler, me, and possibly a few others do(Although IMHO, -- despite the fact that it annoys me -- it doesn't really matter that much).
And getting back on topic, is there any chance of a JCS patch in the future which allows exporting tilesets in both 1.23 and TSF format?

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2015, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
And getting back on topic, is there any chance of a JCS patch in the future which allows exporting tilesets in both 1.23 and TSF format?
If you mean converting tilesets into images, there's already a program for it. That is Tileset Extractor. It's on J2O.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Mar 8, 2015, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
By what I understood, you're asking if there is a way that the 1.23 JCS can run TSF tilesets and vice-versa?

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2015, 10:12 AM
@SE: I know JJR doesn't make sense and I already wrote "JackRabbit" without any space between them. Even then I call it JJR because I call it JJR because I do call it JJR which shouldn't be a problem I suppose. I can't find any rules about not calling it JJR. Worst of all, I'm even telling that JJR is correct. I just call it JJR cause I like it. I can't find any reason about why you all are having problems with it. Who cares? We are just arguing for a silly thing.

Back to topic, how about an option to add bots? Bots can be enabled by the server only so that others can't abuse it. Would be great to have optional bots in JZJKRBT2

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 8, 2015, 10:25 AM
If you want bots, by all means write one! It's pretty straightforward AngelScript; all you need is to figure out the actual strategies.

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2015, 12:10 PM
Since we can take screenshots of JJ2 without any unnecessary capture programmes; how about add the function for recording videos? I know you may think why its needed, we can record with Fraps or or some capruring sodtwares like that. But that causes frame droppings, sound problems and sometimes even slow motion or freezing if done with just average spec laptops. So if its possible to record within the game itself which would create less errors would be great. Maybe not, just asking anyway.

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2015, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Since we can take screenshots of JJ2 without any unnecessary capture programmes; how about add the function for recording videos? I know you may think why its needed, we can record with Fraps or or some capruring sodtwares like that. But that causes frame droppings, sound problems and sometimes even slow motion or freezing if done with just average spec laptops. So if its possible to record within the game itself which would create less errors would be great. Maybe not, just asking anyway.
I'd rather much have the option to record improved macros, which I requested a somewhat long time ago. While they would require JJ2, and the tileset and level to run them, they would be much lighter and easier on the CPU than videos. But it would be a lot of work. Macro recording would need to be rewritten for less bugginess and way more features.

JCF Member

Mar 8, 2015, 09:41 PM
That sounds great. And for screencapping, that would be really good because if you could record from the Macro, and if there's a recording problem, you can just record the same thing again exactly as it was originally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
If you mean converting tilesets into images, there's already a program for it. That is Tileset Extractor. It's on J2O.
I phrased that kind of confusingly...
I have TSF JJ2, so I can't make 1.23 tilesets. What I'm suggesting is an option to save in either 1.23 or TSF format instead of being locked to whichever version(s) of JJ2 you happen to have.

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 8, 2015, 10:53 PM
Ah, for that you want zapS' TSF to 1.23 J2T Converter.

JCF Member

Mar 9, 2015, 04:10 AM
@ Treylina: Yup, thats what I was trying to say. That would save a lot of space and it will record just fine. But will it record the ping stats too or it will just run in 0 ms even if the player had 350 ms ping? Having the ping stats would be good as we can see that lags that was happening while playing.

JCF Member

AvalancheMaster is doing well so far

Mar 17, 2015, 07:18 AM
A quickie - can we make Lori jump as high as Jazz' upercut in singleplayer? I suppose it's a simple fix and would allow us to play a lot of the levels which were not intended with her in mind.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Mar 17, 2015, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheMaster View Post
A quickie - can we make Lori jump as high as Jazz' upercut in singleplayer? I suppose it's a simple fix and would allow us to play a lot of the levels which were not intended with her in mind.
I don't think so, as it would break some earlier level concepts as well. In general, JJ2+ shouldn't change how the game's fundaments work, but instead fix bugs and add new features to it. (unless the Plus team thinks otherwise, that is).

Jump height is easy to set in AngelScript, but that's not the universal setting you're looking for.
AvalancheMaster AvalancheMaster's Avatar

JCF Member

Mar 17, 2015, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
I don't think so, as it would break some earlier level concepts as well. In general, JJ2+ shouldn't change how the game's fundaments work, but instead fix bugs and add new features to it. (unless the Plus team thinks otherwise, that is).

Jump height is easy to set in AngelScript, but that's not the universal setting you're looking for.
Well, maybe just for the official episodes, then?

JCF Member

Mar 17, 2015, 08:11 AM
Quote:
If Lori could jump as high as uppercut by default, then uppercut would be virtually redundant (apart from buttstomp blocks above and killing witches easily). Infact, that would make her able to jump as high as Spaz with enough momentum gained. However, you can jump higher than Spaz by default, if you kick certain enemies a certain distance and hold on jump. But that's very situational.

I'd like to change her special jump one day, which feels like the more sensible solution. It would grant height of some kind.

However, there's a thing part of the game called golden jump that allows you to jump as high as uppercut (it can be performed by all characters). Infact, it's marginally higher.

You can make it work by making sure the always run button is off, then standing and tapping shift roughly 7 times, and holding on jump the last shift (and don't let go of jump when you release shift!). It's not really the best solution since it pulls you to the left/right though.

Quote:
Well, maybe just for the official episodes, then?
You can pass all the official episodes with Lori without cheating. I've done it before many times.

JCF Member

MilkMan is doing well so far

Mar 20, 2015, 09:53 AM
As a legitimate suggestion, I want a foot massage for each time I accomplish something useful in the game. Beat a level, that's a foot massage. Kill a boss, that's another foot massage. Get sugar rush mode; yes, I would love olive oil for my next foot massage.

And I want the masseuse to be female.

That will be all.

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2015, 10:51 AM
We implemented that in 4.2 and it works for me. If it malfunctions for you, you should probably head to the JJ2+ bug reports thread instead. Include info about your operating system, JJ2 version and sexual life.

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2015, 11:38 AM
I remember that feature when it was in vanilla 1.25. It had to be taken out in 1.3 for budget reasons, but Plus re-adding it in Plus 4.2 was great.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Mar 20, 2015, 11:38 AM
Mmm, yeah, a foot massage sounds pretty good.
Sir Ementaler, are you sure this was implemented in 4.2, because I didn't receive any masseuse. I think I'm using the Avalon version.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2015, 11:51 AM
Plus doesn't even work on Avalon version :3

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2015, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Plus doesn't even work on Avalon version :3
Dammit, you ruined my joke.
It was bad anyway.

JCF Member

FawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legendFawFul is a forum legend

Mar 22, 2015, 05:07 AM
I'd love to see a /changemusic random function. Sometimes i want to switch music in levels but can't think of any filenames .

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 22, 2015, 10:55 AM
If you can't think of any filenames, the menu item Music->Load Music File will bring up an Open File dialog, so you can see every filename you've got.

JCF Member

StrikerTheHedgefox is doing well so far

Mar 27, 2015, 07:40 AM
Since people were discussing Lori's Down+Jump move... How about making it so it's an upward-diagonal kick? (It would fit the animation)

Since she can't jump as high as Spaz, and cannot uppercut like Jazz, it would still give her the ability to smash some blocks above her or to the side of her without granting a jump that is too high. (Basically putting her in the middle of Jazz and Spaz, considering Jazz can only smash above, and Spaz to the side).

JCF Member

Mar 27, 2015, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerTheHedgefox View Post
Since people were discussing Lori's Down+Jump move... How about making it so it's an upward-diagonal kick? (It would fit the animation)

Since she can't jump as high as Spaz, and cannot uppercut like Jazz, it would still give her the ability to smash some blocks above her or to the side of her without granting a jump that is too high. (Basically putting her in the middle of Jazz and Spaz, considering Jazz can only smash above, and Spaz to the side).
Nooooo...Lori's kick is fun. At least her down and jump move is unique compared to her special jump, which is a carbon copy of Jazzes copter ears.

Last edited by Treylina; Mar 27, 2015 at 08:35 PM.

JCF Member

Mar 27, 2015, 11:25 PM
I actually kinda like Striker's idea.

AvalancheMaster AvalancheMaster's Avatar

JCF Member

Mar 28, 2015, 03:22 AM
I was thinking something along the lines of this:

Lori's heliears combined with Spazz' doublejump.

When she "jumps" again mid-air, the heli ears propel her upwards, keeping the X-momentum as well. The player cannot control Lori until she's down on the ground, to make up for balance and to keep things interesting.

I recon it could be done in AS.