Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Help ^^

View Poll Results: What is important for you in a single player pack?
Story 22 68.75%
Difficulty 22 68.75%
Puzzles 22 68.75%
Eyecandy 26 81.25%
Funny Stuff 10 31.25%
Originality 27 84.38%
Action 24 75.00%
Large levels 15 46.88%
Bonus Multiplayer Stages 6 18.75%
Others 7 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

Jul 21, 2004, 09:03 AM
Talking Help ^^

Hi!
I started a single player pack (I'm just to stupid to create something other than SP with my JCS ). But Single player can be made in many different ways. So, because of that I'm asking the people who will (maybe ) download it when it's finished, What is important for you?

Last edited by PHT2; Jul 21, 2004 at 09:07 AM. Reason: dumb spelling mistake :)

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jul 21, 2004, 09:06 AM
Sorry, but even if level has cool layout, super cool puzzles and it has lot of amazing stuff generally, I can't overlook bad eyecandy (that don't mean I care only about eyecandy, either.)

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Jul 21, 2004, 09:08 AM
What is important to me? New tilesets and originality. Without either of those two things, I probably won't download your pack, especially since I barely like SP as it is. And good eye candy couldn't hurt.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2004, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Cooba
Sorry, but even if level has cool layout, super cool puzzles and it has lot of amazing stuff generally, I can't overlook bad eyecandy.
So, why do you say sorry for that?
If you think eyecandy is important for you so I'm happy that you told me so I can focus on eyecandy.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 09:09 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jul 21, 2004, 09:10 AM
Quote:
(that don't mean I care only about eyecandy, either.)
Also, I don't care about multiplayer stages as much as sp itself.

...remember to put some cameos ;(

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2004, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD
What is important to me? New tilesets and originality. Without either of those two things, I probably won't download your pack, especially since I barely like SP as it is. And good eye candy couldn't hurt.
I started with Labratkid's Bloxonius Conversion which is hopefully new enough for ya
Originality? Oh well, I guessed this would be coming
Does it have to be something technical new, or can originality also be created with story and stuff (such like missions, triggers and stuff)?

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2004, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Also, I don't care about multiplayer stages as much as sp itself.

...remember to put some cameos ;(
cameos? what's that? *My EnGlIsH sUcKs*

JCF Veteran

Jul 21, 2004, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHT2
cameos? what's that?
Very very secret rooms with some stuff you think is funny. Quake I has a Dopefish cameo in Crypt of Decay, CliffyB appears in Unreal Tournament, Doom II had several hanging Commander Keens on hooks, etc. (there is a secret in Tomb Rabbit Central Cave, although I *never* got there.)

I doubt you will have something really original. It's really hard to do a original puzzle (no, I won't say what I did once) or something other.

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Jul 21, 2004, 09:26 AM
Not a big fan of conversions. I really meant tilesets specifically made for your SP pack, but I could live with custom sets with innovative eye candy (just stay away from the default tilesets if anything). Also, an original story would be refreshing, but I'm not going to download something just because of that. What I had in mind were things like new concepts (like the flying rock) and inventive puzzles. By the way, if you're going use puzzles, please stay away from the random guessing games. I would prefer not to have to choose a random warp or something just to get to the next part of the level.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

Strato

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

Jul 21, 2004, 09:44 AM
Those are all good elements. I suggest you try to combine them.

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Jul 21, 2004, 09:57 AM
Story, Difficulty, Puzzles, Eye Candy, & Action!

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

JCF Veteran

Jul 21, 2004, 10:04 AM
But please, don't make levels like Strato's "Grand Escape". It was original and challenging, I know, but it was boring and drove me insane and sleepy.

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2004, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD
Not a big fan of conversions. I really meant tilesets specifically made for your SP pack, but I could live with custom sets with innovative eye candy (just stay away from the default tilesets if anything). Also, an original story would be refreshing, but I'm not going to download something just because of that. What I had in mind were things like new concepts (like the flying rock) and inventive puzzles. By the way, if you're going use puzzles, please stay away from the random guessing games. I would prefer not to have to choose a random warp or something just to get to the next part of the level.
Well, I can't make my own tilesets (never tried, but I guess I'm not good in it ), so sorry. Well, for the conversion thingy, I will finish this level with Labrat's tileset, then I will probably choose an other tileset which is no conversion. I also think I won't use the default sets, because it's difficult to create original stuff with the epic sets (because there have been so many levels using them).
Original story is also a problem, I'm not a great story maker, but I'll try to have it something other than "kill some enemies, because they are enemies, then find the exit and beat the endboss". I think I will also try to make every level have it's own mission.
Those days, where nearly everything is discovered it's hard to make new concepts and stuff. Tough, I will try to make some event combinations or something, but if so I cannot guarantee the pack will be 1.23, because I probably will use the trigger zone event. Inventive puzzles? Well, I'll see what comes in mind for me, at least I'll try. I also don't like that sort of puzzles, where you have to choose the right way to survive (or something), because they aren't about thinking, you just must have luck for making it. We'll see. Thanks for you help, anyway

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2004, 10:44 AM
Quote:
But please, don't make levels like Strato's "Grand Escape". It was original and challenging, I know, but it was boring and drove me insane and sleepy.
I did not play that, where can I download it (to have an example what I shouldn't do )?
R3ptile

Banned

R3ptile is doing well so far

Jul 21, 2004, 10:46 AM
Funny Stuff & Originality =)

JCF Veteran

Jul 21, 2004, 10:48 AM
Quote:
I did not play that, where can I download it (to have an example what I shouldn't do )?
Here.

Last edited by cooba; Apr 29, 2008 at 07:43 AM. Reason: This post was horribly marked up

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2004, 11:08 AM
@ Cooba: I played it, and didn't made it further than to the first checkpoint of the first level. I personally like this game style, because I like hard levels. But I think I won't make it as hard.

JCF Veteran

Jul 21, 2004, 11:09 AM
Man, I hardly survived there. I just used jjnxt a bit.

There is a very easy level, it's hidden on Grand Escape and consists of birds.

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2004, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Man, I hardly survived there. I just used jjnxt a bit.

There is a very easy level, it's hidden on Grand Escape and consists of birds.
Cool *trying it out*

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jul 21, 2004, 11:50 AM
Mostly everything. whee. But most importantly, puzzles, eyecandy, and originality.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jul 21, 2004, 12:08 PM
Action and story. Eyecandy and funny stuff on second place.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 21, 2004, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Those days, where nearly everything is discovered it's hard to make new concepts and stuff. Tough, I will try to make some event combinations or something, but if so I cannot guarantee the pack will be 1.23, because I probably will use the trigger zone event. Inventive puzzles?
I am not quite sure what you're talking about, but the Trigger Zone has been around for well before 1.23.

JCF Member

Jul 22, 2004, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit
I am not quite sure what you're talking about, but the Trigger Zone has been around for well before 1.23.
If so, where can I get the 1.23 patch? Daily Carrot closed.

JCF Veteran

Jul 22, 2004, 05:05 AM
You can't downgrade 1.24 to 1.23.
NinJazz

JCF Member

NinJazz is doing well so far

Jul 22, 2004, 05:05 AM
Umm... Story? perhaps Puzzles? Secrets, Layouts, Eyecandy? Anything. Most I like If in Multiplayer stages like battle is boxes that you can shoot over them and crouch to get cover. I say: Puzzles.

JCF Member

Jul 22, 2004, 05:24 AM
Quote:
You can't downgrade 1.24 to 1.23.
I've two versions of JJ2 seperately installed. 1.20 and 1.24
I use 1.24 to play TSF levels and 1.20 to make levels. But because I can't get the 1.23 patch anywhere, I have to use 1.24 if I wanna use trigger zone. Get it?

JCF Member

Jul 22, 2004, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjajazz
Umm... Story? perhaps Puzzles? Secrets, Layouts, Eyecandy? Anything. Most I like If in Multiplayer stages like battle is boxes that you can shoot over them and crouch to get cover. I say: Puzzles.
OK, but I'm not talking about multiplayer stages (except they get a high vote, but it doesn't look like it will get in the future).

JCF Veteran

Jul 22, 2004, 05:30 AM
Quote:
I can't get the 1.23 patch anywhere
I have a riddle:

What is deep, filled with treasure, large, and belongs to a haze?

JCF Member

Jul 22, 2004, 05:39 AM
Quote:
I have a riddle:

What is deep, filled with treasure, large, and belongs to a haze?
don't know, but I guess it has something to do with Trafton

JCF Veteran

Jul 22, 2004, 05:47 AM
Haze's Hideout, dolt.

JCF Member

Jul 22, 2004, 10:51 AM
Does this mean I should go the Haze's hideout? If you want me to..
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:54 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba. Reason: embarassment

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 22, 2004, 12:45 PM
Both J2O and Haze's Hideout have the 1.23 patch. Probably several other sites, too. It's not hard to find.

JCF Member

Jul 24, 2004, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit
Both J2O and Haze's Hideout have the 1.23 patch. Probably several other sites, too. It's not hard to find.
Yes, I found it on Haze's Hideout now.
Thanks to you and Cooba

JCF Member

Jul 24, 2004, 01:20 AM
I still don't have the trigger zone, even tough I patched my JJ2 with 1.23 patch from Haze's Hideout. Does anybody know why?

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 24, 2004, 01:32 AM
246=Trigger Zone |+|Trigger |Trigger|Zone|TriggerID:5|onoff:1|switch:1

Put that line into your JCS.ini. I assume you can figure out where to put it.

JCF Member

Jul 24, 2004, 03:55 AM
thanks

JCF Member

Jul 26, 2004, 05:25 AM
I only wanted to say thanks to everybody who gave their advice and/or voted on the poll. This helps me a lot. From now on in the signature you can read how far I came.

JCF Member

RockyR has disabled reputation

Jul 26, 2004, 09:19 AM
Wink

Basically try to make it clear that it is an original level. Be really creative. Don't worry if you have the standard coin warp, or even dispersement of enemies, or a boss (especially don't worry about a boss, overall you can make the level a lot more unique and challenging than jazz 2's bosses), etc. Maybe take a lesson from the first Jazz game and add multiple routes instead of a single route, that's bound to do your level good.
If you use puzzles don't go overboard or the player may get turned off to your level because there are so, so many levels with puzzles. A few are really neat, especially if the whole level's completion does not hang in their balance.
Don't worry about how many new concepts you have, that is difficult! We have been using the same game now for a while, there's onlyso far we expect you to go with your levels. But if you get a great idea, definitely go ahead with it. Try and make the whole level appear to be a really great idea.

JCF Member

Jul 26, 2004, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyR
Basically try to make it clear that it is an original level. Be really creative. Don't worry if you have the standard coin warp, or even dispersement of enemies, or a boss (especially don't worry about a boss, overall you can make the level a lot more unique and challenging than jazz 2's bosses), etc. Maybe take a lesson from the first Jazz game and add multiple routes instead of a single route, that's bound to do your level good.
If you use puzzles don't go overboard or the player may get turned off to your level because there are so, so many levels with puzzles. A few are really neat, especially if the whole level's completion does not hang in their balance.
Don't worry about how many new concepts you have, that is difficult! We have been using the same game now for a while, there's onlyso far we expect you to go with your levels. But if you get a great idea, definitely go ahead with it. Try and make the whole level appear to be a really great idea.
Thanks

JCF Veteran

Jul 26, 2004, 01:12 PM
Huzzah. Great RockyR gave you best rules I have ever seen.

Pageclaim. Stuff is good.