Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Source Code FAQ & Myths

Strato

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

Apr 16, 2008, 08:03 AM
I think all of us have at some point or another had the idea of just making a new platformer as a "spiritual successor" to Jazz2. And honestly, it's probably one of the better ideas in terms of realism, cost, et cetera. We'd know the code a whole lot more intimately, rather than relying on potentially poorly documented and confusing source code. We could even have it compatible with JJ2 levels, somehow. Naturally, this is incredibly ambitious, but considering thusfar, to my knowledge at least, there hasn't been a coordinated movement about it. It's just been one man teams of people who run out of energy very quickly. I know I've been there =\. It'd be at least prudent to come up with some sort of design documentation or plans so that we'd have an idea of what to be looking for, in case we wanted to create this project. Considering the pool of coding talent, we'd have a good shot at at least getting somewhere with the idea. So long as nothing from JJ2 is packaged with the game, we can have the option of using files (to my knowledge, it's under fair use) that came with it.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Apr 16, 2008, 09:12 AM
Whenever they finish the dedictated server we got a pretty good successor to Jazz2. By adding offline and client-side games to it, it could even replace the current versions.

However, people may indeed run out of energy very quickly. Besides that, AFAIK there are some people making serious progress in trying to get a copy of the original source code. Although the code could be confusing in the beginning, it saves the lot of work needed to remake the game and makes it more likely new versions are backwards compatible and can be installed by patching an earlier version.

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

Apr 16, 2008, 11:13 AM
This is assuming if we don't get the sourcecode, since overall just having that would be ideal.

JCF Member

Ðx is doing well so far

Jul 16, 2008, 10:20 AM
Can't wait till 1.25 gets out /sarcasm =)

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jul 16, 2008, 10:57 AM

Cool thread revival, Hansel.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 02:33 PM
Nonomu198
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: deleted

JCF Member

Ðx is doing well so far

Jul 17, 2008, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post

Cool thread revival, Hansel.

Do you love Ben Stiller?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jul 17, 2008, 04:02 AM
Thread revival doesn't really matter as this thread is stickied, but if you've got nothing to say but unrelated nonsense please shut up (both).
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:53 AM
Nonomu198
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: see above

JCF Member

shaney is an asset to this forumshaney is an asset to this forum

Jan 27, 2009, 07:11 AM
damn dudes u people are sick if ur good at programming just build a game to compete with jj2 and make it a lot like jj2 but then to call it different , so nobody can sue u

im still alive yeah
CownLeme

Banned

CownLeme is doing well so far

Nov 23, 2009, 10:15 AM
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Source Code FAQ Myths

Ive found my source code corrupted by another person. I suspect their FTP program added a line break every second line.

Think they used cute FTP.

Ive had this problem with filezilla.

Does anyone know a smart way I can remove the excessive line breaks without doing it manually?

I know CSS optmisers will do this for CSS files. Is there something I can use for my php code?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 01:50 PM
Lord Uber Dowzen
This message has been deleted by Lord Uber Dowzen.
sonicnathan 1

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Dec 16, 2009, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CownLeme View Post
Ive found my source code corrupted by another person. I suspect their FTP program added a line break every second line.

Think they used cute FTP.

Ive had this problem with filezilla.

Does anyone know a smart way I can remove the excessive line breaks without doing it manually?

I know CSS optmisers will do this for CSS files. Is there something I can use for my php code?
You don't have the source. It's in doubt that it even exists anymore.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Dec 16, 2009, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Uber Dowzen View Post
If you had the source code would it (with permission from Epic) be possible to port JJ2 to iPhone. I don't see why it wouldn't if it was written in C or C++.
I'm pretty sure it was written in C++, but it'd be a bit of a hassle to port it to Objective-C. Entirely possible, especially since the Mac version was eventually converted into a Carbon application, but a hassle all the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicNathan 1 View Post
You don't have the source. It's in doubt that it even exists anymore.
There's a 99.7% chance that was a bot.
sonicnathan 1

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Dec 17, 2009, 01:08 PM
Well at least the ban hammer was dropped.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

f2bnp is doing well so far

Jun 13, 2010, 09:57 PM
Sorry for the revival, but would it be possible to make coop gameplay to work using an Internet connection?
Coop was really a great feature on Jazz 2, but the fact that you can't play online is really sad.

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Jun 13, 2010, 10:19 PM
Coop does indeed work online. You can use this bug fixer to allow for health to be lost and for coop to work in general. Also, jj2+ will allow you to easily change gamemode while playing online, in addition to a lot of other awesome things.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

f2bnp is doing well so far

Jun 13, 2010, 11:48 PM
Oh that's very cool, thanks a lot!
Hackzor

JCF Member

Hackzor is notorious for his worthless posts

Jan 5, 2011, 12:26 AM
This might be a stupid try. But I am trying to decompile JAZZ2.exe (1.23) no ads.

Might crash because lose of RAM.

EDIT: W/eee.

Last edited by Hackzor; Jan 5, 2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: MEEP
Sfaizst

JCF Member

Sfaizst is an asset to this forum

Jan 6, 2011, 02:17 PM
And what do you want to see? it's possible to get a ton of assember code (asm) out of JJ2, but this have nothing to do with a "high"-level programming language (like C where JJ2 is written in, C++, Delphi,...) and we are "decompiling" JJ2 since years (as a Delphi programmer i hate it to call C a high-level programming language, sorry, not realted to the theme, but had to say this)...
(plus itself and jjm and a ton of other utilitys and functions we are using all the time, wouldnd be possible without "decompiling")
In my oppinion you do not get happy with this, if you understand asm and know what you do, have fun and possible you will show us a result in some time (months?, years?,more years? )...

Have fun...

Sfaizst

Oh, before i forget:
I only saw for Delphi.Net once a decompiler that give a "readable" source back and for no other language (Scripts can be "decompiled" generally, I think D.Net is creating something similar like a script, so that netframework from windows can translate it and C,C++,Delphi,... are NOT Script Languages)

JCF Member

WhiteBlaster has disabled reputation

Jan 7, 2011, 10:05 AM
You two guys know that reverse engineering, decompiling and disassembling the game is prohibited, right? Because I'm pretty sure it means that your posts are not supposed to be on JCF, are they?

P.S.: By the way, it looks like it wasn't forbidden in Jazz 1, or at least in the license nothing's written about that. Alister maybe could exploit this, since OpenJazz has different physics than Jazz 1.

There is a flame untamed
Deep in my heart
Unyielding, pure Ain Soph
'tis measureless
Our right divine:

Aspire to all horizons
To seek nature ov things
Retreat within yourself
To find the primal breath

Behemoth - Transmigrating Beyond Realms ov Amenti

JCF Member

Jan 7, 2011, 10:24 AM
Are you sure? All that stuff about not endorsing illegal activities, blah, blah...

There is a flame untamed
Deep in my heart
'tis measureless
Our right divine:

Aspire to all horizons
To seek nature ov things
Retreat within yourself

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 7, 2011, 11:04 AM
Look at those "Did you ever steal something?", "Are you a potential thief?", "What are you pirating right now?" and similar threads and repeat it. Basically we only can't do illegal things here (like linking to warez), but talking about how we yesterday group raped someone is fully okay.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jan 7, 2011, 02:08 PM
No one cares about people disassembling JJ2.

As for linking to downloads, that's explicitly forbidden by our host's ToS, so that's a different case.

Quote:
but talking about how we yesterday group raped someone is fully okay.
No it's not.

Last edited by Stijn; Jan 7, 2011 at 05:15 PM.

JCF Member

Jan 7, 2011, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
Basically we only can't do illegal things here (like linking to warez), but talking about how we yesterday group raped someone is fully okay.
& FY!

Fine, but what about Jazz 1?

There is a flame untamed
Deep in my heart
'tis measureless
Our right divine:

Aspire to all horizons
To seek nature ov things
Retreat within yourself

Administrator

Jan 7, 2011, 05:15 PM
It's also not allowed to post links to downloads of Jazz Jackrabbit 1, for obvious reasons.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 8, 2011, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
No it's not.
Uh, okay, I'll take a note of it for the future, should come in handy.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
Hackzor

JCF Member

Jan 8, 2011, 08:15 AM
Um. Is JJ2 coded in C, C++ or VC++?

JCF Member

Jan 8, 2011, 08:17 AM
I mean, disassembling JJ1 when needed, for any possible imaginable reason.

EDIT: Naaaah... JJ2 is too big to be disassembled using a program that generates a C-like source code. Your decompiler will most probably generate pure chaos, if it doesn't crash.

There is a flame untamed
Deep in my heart
'tis measureless
Our right divine:

Aspire to all horizons
To seek nature ov things
Retreat within yourself

Last edited by WhiteBlaster; Jan 8, 2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: :gnitidE rof nosaeR

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 8, 2011, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackzor View Post
Um. Is JJ2 coded in C, C++ or VC++?
C
Hackzor

JCF Member

Jan 8, 2011, 04:43 PM
Oh. That's why my C++ decompiler blew up. Right....

EDIT:

Isn't it possible to disassemble JJ3 and work on it?

EDIT2: I actually have NO idea about ASM right now. Started learning some basics but.

Last edited by Hackzor; Jan 8, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

JCF Member

Jan 9, 2011, 06:46 AM
Here you''ll probably realize how significative the fundamental difference between "theorically possible" and "pratically achievable" is.

To do what you are proposing to do would mean that someone takes all of the disassembly output (really a bunch of code) and translates it into C or C++. This first step would require a person that knows Assembly and C/C++ well enough (not to mention 3D animations) and that is patient enought to do a work that would try the patience of a saint.
Next step: trying to understand something about what came out from this.
Last step: trying to program the remaining pieces, which requires an advanced knowledge of 3D games, the Unreal Engine, etc., that no one here has (as far as I know).

I really don't like to swallow the others' hope but, quite frankly, I find this idea quite UNREALizable.

P.S.: Trust me, nowadays learning ASM isn't a good way to waste one's life, except in very particular cases.

There is a flame untamed
Deep in my heart
'tis measureless
Our right divine:

Aspire to all horizons
To seek nature ov things
Retreat within yourself

JCF Member

shaney is an asset to this forumshaney is an asset to this forum

Jan 11, 2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBlaster View Post
Here you''ll probably realize how significative the fundamental difference between "theorically possible" and "pratically achievable" is.

To do what you are proposing to do would mean that someone takes all of the disassembly output (really a bunch of code) and translates it into C or C++. This first step would require a person that knows Assembly and C/C++ well enough (not to mention 3D animations) and that is patient enought to do a work that would try the patience of a saint.
Next step: trying to understand something about what came out from this.
Last step: trying to program the remaining pieces, which requires an advanced knowledge of 3D games, the Unreal Engine, etc., that no one here has (as far as I know).

I really don't like to swallow the others' hope but, quite frankly, I find this idea quite UNREALizable.

P.S.: Trust me, nowadays learning ASM isn't a good way to waste one's life, except in very particular cases.

i dont actually believe in like adjusting jj2 to devolope it further . jj2 has proven to be strong .

i believe it can go with like 10 more years .

the thing we need to figure is how easy is it instead of trying to figure out the uineasy decoding of jj2 etc etc

but lets just try all together to rebuild it kinda like jj2 it self the game is not so big 25 mbs orso

meaning building a game simulair to jj2 bring it to life in a new way simple graphics only yet better then its previous one new features built in server control(like jj2 plus ) build in mp3 suport .

we tried to decode jj2 like for ages now . isnt it better to say screw it . build a game next to it simulair yet better that we can like convert jj2,s levels in to it .

calling the game Jackrabbit reborn orso

im still alive yeah

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Jan 11, 2011, 01:32 PM
nice signature

JCF Member

MrAlextov has disabled reputation

Jul 28, 2013, 01:13 PM
This story is little pointless..
In 2015 (or later or never)

Epic: We have alot of problems, Lets close the company...

Someone buys the backups (Whould be cool to be assemblergames.com)
After releasing these on Internet.
Me enjoying the Pre-OEM alphas and having the source code from backup disc

JCF Member

Cataflexia is doing well so far

Aug 7, 2013, 09:01 AM
Question

Hello guys,

I've a question about of accelerated graphics of JJ2. I've tried to start a new post, but I don't have permision to do this.

So, my question is that on my Geforce 2 GTS 64 AGP4x (Windows XP SP3), JJ2 showed me a wider possibilities of differents resolutions, and if I chose the hardware mode, this runs a lot great too.

For the other hand, I've other PC with Win 7 and it work with a ATi HD7950 PCIe 16x, but JJ2 only shows me two resolutions (640x480x16 and 640x480x8).

What happens? JJ2 only support some video cards? There is a way to raise the resolution to 1920x1080 for example?

I remember when I played JJ2 on my old PC, but today I don't have my old PC because I've selled this. I regret for that all my days dudes!

I've searched on wsgf.com but the hex editor don't find the string
80 02 00 00 51 c7 44 24 5c e0 01 for change the resolution.

So, can't find a way to raise my resolution, and work smoothly.

Well, any help or suggestion will be appreciate.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 7, 2013, 12:42 PM
JJ2's maximum resolution is 640x480. The other ones were all smaller (even down to 320x200, which is absolutely tiny). Apparently, your new video card won't let you select ancient, extremely low resolutions. There really is nothing you are missing.

There is a thing called BigJazz, which lets you select resolutions up to 1920x1080. But anything larger than 640x480 is extremely crashy, because the game is not built for that.

JCF Member

p_jae is doing well so far

Jun 13, 2014, 07:04 PM
I'm creating a near replica of jazz jackrabbit 2 for android and windows phone, demo level and multiplayer, can someone tell me the legal issues involved in this
p_jae

JCF Member

p_jae is doing well so far

Jun 13, 2014, 07:06 PM
I'm creating a near replica of jazz jackrabbit 2 for android and windows phone, demo level and multiplayer, ate there any legal issues involved in this

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 13, 2014, 09:33 PM
Yep. But we've never gotten in any trouble before!

(You should post some of your work for us to see! Those are always fun threads, even if they never seem to go anywhere.)

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jun 14, 2014, 06:59 AM
Dobermann Software released a replica of the Jazz Jackrabbit 1 shareware on Windows Phone before, but Epic Games lawyers apparently took action and removed it from the store.

Nevertheless, I agree with Violet on posting your work here. Some works like Project Carrot came a long way and are fun to see in action whether they get finished or not.

JCF Member

Darkhog is notorious for his worthless posts

Jan 11, 2017, 03:22 PM
Anyone knows if someone still has the sources? Tried contacting Arjan or Cliff? Okay, maybe not Cliff, but Arjan may have them tucked in the attic or something.

Dunno about legalities but I think they could work something out with Epic.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
╲___) (___╱  TUX LOVES YOU.
Nimrod

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

Apr 1, 2017, 04:52 AM
In answer to who still has the Source Code, Becky from Logicware does (formally known as Burger).

However she would only release it if she got permission from someone from Epic Games.

FYI: Logicware did the Mac Port of JJ2; so they were given the Windows Source Code to Port