Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Make Up Your Own Gametype

JCF Member

WaterRabbit is doing well so far

Apr 8, 2005, 03:35 PM
Make Up Your Own Gametype

Make up your own gametype. Just think of another gametype. Give it a name and describe what it is like. You don't have to really make it but you can if you want. If you feel like making your gametype then you could post it on J2O.

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Apr 8, 2005, 05:03 PM
How about this: It's hosted in battle mode. One person is it. Only the person that is it can score points. Everyone else who isn't it has to roast the person who is it to become it. 1 point for every roast and some number of points for killing whoever is it. Ask EvilMike, Dizzy, or Syntax for more details. Alright, so this isn't my idea, but it'll make a comeback sooner or later.

New idea: It's a timed team game. Everyone has 1 heart but 5 lives. Each player has a choice of weapons at the start, and the game is played in an arena filled with No Fire Zones. Also, each team has a leader who starts with a shield, and roasting the leader equals five points. I call it "Timed Extended Last Street Fighter Standing + Assassinstagib," or TELSFSA for short. I'm still working on the name.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

Apr 9, 2005, 01:28 AM
Hosted in Treasure Hunt mode. All the players start in an arena, and gems fall from the top. The arena itself is filled with Exit events. The first player to get enough gems wins.

I won't make a level for that though.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Apr 9, 2005, 04:23 AM
Team treasure hunt would be fun. Think of passing gems to each other.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Apr 9, 2005, 06:27 AM
Suicide? You'd make it so each suicide scores a point, but just jumping to your doom (or whatever) is worth nothing. Bonus point for roasting with your suicide. Trouble is it'd need heavy re-working of the game to be effective (you'd have to be able to kill yourself with your own dynamite etc., for example).

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Apr 9, 2005, 07:26 AM
That's.. morbid.

JCF Member

MoonBlazE is an asset to this forum

Apr 9, 2005, 08:18 AM
A big area with lots of platforms, walls, springs, ammo, carrots, a stupid bubble shield, a power up at the end of a warp target that is easy to camp. A couple of well known start positions.

I call it Battle1!

JCF Member

Apr 9, 2005, 09:53 AM
One positive thing about Battle1 is that it's a lot of fun to beat a Jazz opponent with Spaz. ^o^

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Apr 9, 2005, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoggyB
Suicide? You'd make it so each suicide scores a point, but just jumping to your doom (or whatever) is worth nothing. Bonus point for roasting with your suicide. Trouble is it'd need heavy re-working of the game to be effective (you'd have to be able to kill yourself with your own dynamite etc., for example).
"Team Suicide" would be very easy to make (if I remember how SCEs work right) and probably fun (though like Faw said, morbid). Just somehow have it so everyone starts with a bird and one of those Witch MCEs (The bird will fire at the witch, I think). Each time the player dies, it will take them between the two bases and they'll score a point. The game would involve chasing other players around and trying to get their birds to shoot you.

I made up a few gametypes a few years back. One was called "team slaughterparty". It was like team battle, but you got a warp target error whenever you died.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

Superjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHART

Apr 9, 2005, 10:55 AM
I already invented Team LRS. It's similar to a normal Last Rabbit Standing-mode but you have teams. Of course, the server must be hosted as battle, and only certain tileset(s) with necessary stuff can be used for a level with this game-mode. So, once you join the server, you may not fight until the host says go and everything is ready. You choose a free slot (pit) from the main room. Likely from a row which already has players in it's other slots.

There would be 4 teams recommended, which is the amount of them in my prototype-level. Each team also contains 4 slots, so the max. amount of people who could be in a server in the same time. Each slot of the same team is separated to different rows. So, what's the meaning of this? Well, of course if all the players played at the same arena, teammates could hurt each other. And if it was possible to make some players not available to hurt some of other players without hosting a ctf-server, it would be probably called "Last Team Standing."

But in this mode, teammates fight all in separated arenas so they can't hit each other. Four arenas, and one player of each team per arena. So, better arrange the teams carefully to make them balanced before starting the game.

And so, once the game starts...the players just try to roast other players out from their arena. It could be like LRS shared into smaller matches at the same time, but anyway, once one of your teammate gets roasted, it costs one of your lives as well. Each team has 3 lives, so just once players from the same team have got roasted 3 times, no matter whose of the team, the players are able to get eliminated from their arena.

And so, the team who has the most of it's players standing at the arenas overall, wins. Mostly only draws will happen like: Jerry(Blue) stands alone at arena A, Steve(Red) stands alone at arena B, Joe(Green) stands alone at arena C and Tom(Yellow) stands alone at arena D. So the whole game ends 1-1-1-1 draw.

I know this whole gamemode isn't very useful and just slightly too complicated. But I anyways wanted to invent my own game-mode for the jj2-community which was my kind of destination so I could be proud of something. Ok, I shouldn't praise myself, so just forget this. Well, I might host this sometimes so you could see what is it like.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Apr 9, 2005, 11:50 AM
@BoggyB: You can suicide in treasure mode. You "eat it" if you hurt yourself on spikes or3D balls long enough. ;D

JCF Member

Apr 9, 2005, 11:51 AM
That was something new to me.

Need to try that out sometime.

JCF Member

Apr 9, 2005, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFreak
Hosted in Treasure Hunt mode. All the players start in an arena, and gems fall from the top. The arena itself is filled with Exit events. The first player to get enough gems wins.
It's called Bean's Treasure Pack (unofficially), and it owns. Bean needs to come out of nowhere and make new Treasure levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit
@BoggyB: You can suicide in treasure mode. You "eat it" if you hurt yourself on spikes or3D balls long enough. ;D
Only if you're the server the last time I checked.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Apr 9, 2005, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD
It's called Bean's Treasure Pack (unofficially), and it owns. Bean needs to come out of nowhere and make new Treasure levels.
Oh, didn't know about that. Seems I had the same idea as that guy had.

Anyways, so I'll have to think about a new game mode, darned. >_<

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Apr 9, 2005, 04:00 PM
Heh... the idea I took from what my sister and friends do sometimes in SSBM. You play it by setting it to Super Sudden Death with just bob-ombs on high for the items. Play on Kirby's Fountain of Dreams for more fun. Did you know that if you hold the shield on Jigglypuff until it breaks then you'll go straight off the top of the screen?

ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Apr 15, 2005, 02:21 PM
I made a Hide and Seek level pack. You play on battle and take turns being it, while trying to find eachother. (When you get shot you are it.)

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Apr 15, 2005, 05:39 PM
I always had a problem with Hide and Seek. The typical HnS level depends too much on good faith and/or cooperation for my tastes.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Apr 15, 2005, 11:53 PM
Well, it does in real life. You can't be sure that the person who's supposed to be it won't develop a malicious streak and just go off and play Monopoly for four hours and everyone falls asleep in their hiding places. And then there's always the danger that if you do find someone, they'll pull out a gun and shoot you.

In general, I find a good way to think of new gametypes is to stick the word "Team" onto things. For example, Team Hide and Seek. One team hides, and the other team has to find them all and kill them. Within sixty seconds.

JCF Member

Apr 16, 2005, 04:54 AM
Heh, I think the same way. Maybe because I like team games a lot more. Anyway, I just remembered that I made a level that's a bit like Team HnS back in 2002. I called the gametype Manhunt despite the fact someone else used the same name (I believe), then Mike used the name for his One-Sided Assassination level, but that's all beside the point. It even had a timer like you mentioned, and it used the hourglass hiding system as seen in Assassination levels. One huge difference from what you said was it worked like Team Battle and roasting anyone from the hiding team meant 2 points instead of 1. There were three things about the level I didn't like though: the layout could've been better, the hourglasses didn't always work, and team-based triggers by nature were biased to one team or another. With that, I gave up on that level only to host it on the rare occasion someone asked me to. EvilMike said he was going to make Team HnS levels himself, but they require good faith in players using F8.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Apr 16, 2005, 05:04 AM
@Blurred: No, you can suicide as anyone! One of the Wind Meister lvls with the spike balls kept killing Rep and me (I was the host).

JCF Member

Apr 16, 2005, 06:06 AM
Bleh... I missed the "spikes or3D balls" part. My mistake.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

WvA

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Apr 16, 2005, 09:05 AM
posted by moonblaze

A big area with lots of platforms, walls, springs, ammo, carrots, a stupid bubble shield, a power up at the end of a warp target that is easy to camp. A couple of well known start positions.

I call it Battle1!

LOL :P

JCF Member

DarkJazz23 is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2005, 01:46 AM
Uhm... Yeah... I guess...
Sorry I have nothing to do, no one is online and my server system doesn't work...
*Trying to think of a new game type, *

JCF Member

Joseph Collins is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2005, 02:02 AM
Assault the Flag Mode
Valid Modes: Capture the Flag
Requirements: Jazz Creation Station Map Editor
No, this idea didn't originate in Halo, although that's probably the most widely-recognized incarnation.(And I figured the way they titled it worked best for a title for this mode.)
Basically, it's Capture the Flag mode. . .with one minor alteration. Blue Team starts at the Red Base, and Red Team starts at the Blue Base. So in short, you have to break into your own base to score a point. This works well in Halo and ZDaemon(a source-port of Doom/Doom II), but I dunno how well it would work in Jazz Jackrabbit 2, though it's easy enough to do.(All it requires is Jazz Creation Station for v1.2x, honestly.) I guess, depending on the "level of ownage" being introduced into the mix, this mode would pretty much end up like normal Capture the Flag mode. But then, it might not. Imagine the surprise of being ambushed in your own base while waiting for your team to return your flag!

(Weapon of Choice)-Mania Mode
Valid Modes: Any!
Familiar with those oh-so-delicious "Rockets Arena" or "Sniper Rifle Only" modifications to games like Unreal Tournament and Quake? Though we can't make these modes in Jazz 2 as convenitionally as we could in various FPS games, this is another simple-to-make mode.
Make a map in JCS, but just make it so whenever someone spawns, they spawn their way through a couple of Power Up crates. Or even just a truckload of weapon pick-ups.(RF Missiles, Seekers, Toasters, etc.) This was done in one of the Capture the Flag maps in the Anniversary Bash VII Map Pack, in fact.
Valid Weaponry: Blaster, Bouncer, Seeker, RF Missile, Toaster, Pepper Spray, Electro Blaster, Flame Shield*, Aqua Shield*, Electric Shield*
Invalid Weaponry: Freezer, TNT
* = Probably a bad idea, honestly. They're, first and foremost, shields, afterall.

TNT Mania
Valid Modes: Battle(Suggested), Treasure(Just takes a while. . .), Race(I guess?)
Here's a unique idea that I doubt anyone has the patience for!
Make a small, semi-cramped room in JCS with a platform in the dead center. Stock it with nothing but TNT and make all the walls. Now. . . Spawn the players above the platform and make all the walls around the center platforms "Hurt". Why? So you can TNT your opponents off into oblivion!! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha. . .ha. . .yeah. There's be no way to tell who killed who, most likely. . . But, eh. I tried.

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Apr 17, 2005, 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Collins
Assault the Flag Mode
Valid Modes: Capture the Flag
No, this idea didn't originate in Halo, although that's probably the most widely-recognized incarnation.(And I figured the way they titled it worked best for a title for this mode.)
Basically, it's Capture the Flag mode. . .with one minor alteration. Blue Team starts at the Red Base, and Red Team starts at the Blue Base. So in short, you have to break into your own base to score a point. This works well in Halo and ZDaemon(a source-port of Doom/Doom II), but I dunno how well it would work in Jazz Jackrabbit 2, though it's easy enough to do.(All it requires is Jazz Creation Station for v1.2x, honestly.) I guess, depending on the "level of ownage" being introduced into the mix, this mode would pretty much end up like normal Capture the Flag mode. But then, it might not. Imagine the surprise of being ambushed in your own base while waiting for your team to return your flag!

(Weapon of Choice)-Mania Mode
Valid Modes: Any!
Familiar with those oh-so-delicious "Rockets Arena" or "Sniper Rifle Only" modifications to games like Unreal Tournament and Quake? Though we can't make these modes in Jazz 2 as convenitionally as we could in various FPS games, this is another simple-to-make mode.
Make a map in JCS, but just make it so whenever someone spawns, they spawn their way through a couple of Power Up crates. Or even just a truckload of weapon pick-ups.(RF Missiles, Seekers, Toasters, etc.) This was done in one of the Capture the Flag maps in the Anniversary Bash VII Map Pack, in fact.
Valid Weaponry: Blaster, Bouncer, Seeker, RF Missile, Toaster, Pepper Spray, Electro Blaster, Flame Shield*, Aqua Shield*, Electric Shield*
Invalid Weaponry: Freezer, TNT
* = Probably a bad idea, honestly. They're, first and foremost, shields, afterall.

TNT Mania
Valid Modes: Battle(Suggested), Treasure(Just takes a while. . .), Race(I guess?)
Here's a unique idea that I doubt anyone has the patience for!
Make a small, semi-cramped room in JCS with a platform in the dead center. Stock it with nothing but TNT and make all the walls. Now. . . Spawn the players above the platform and make all the walls around the center platforms "Hurt". Why? So you can TNT your opponents off into oblivion!! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha. . .ha. . .yeah. There's be no way to tell who killed who, most likely. . . But, eh. I tried.
Good ideas, although the last one will have zero gameplay. ;p GJ Though.

JCF Member

Apr 17, 2005, 03:16 AM
I like the last one. :P

EDIT:

What about doing it with warps?

That way, everybody has to knock his enemies into the warps, the last dude in the arena wins.

JCF Member

Apr 17, 2005, 05:48 AM
Assault the Flag should work fairly well in theory. And not much effort is needed to it get to work, so testing it out should be easy. I don't remember why I never made a level like that before though. If I make an ATF level, it'll probably just be an edited CTF level since I'm not too willing to make a brand new CTF/ATF level.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Apr 17, 2005, 10:02 AM
Something that might work or might not, and will require heavy design probably:

Handicap CTF

Each time a team scores a point, the other team gets, using triggers, a boost of some sort in the form of a better base that is easier to defend, extra pickups or easier paths to their opponent's base, thus making it easier for the "weaker" team (the team that's behind on score) to score, and balancing the game so that even bad teams can give good teams a good match.

It seemed a good idea at the start, but the bad thing that will happen is that as the weaker team gets a boost, it will score more, and the level will become harder for them again. The handicap for the better team gets cancelled out after a while.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JCF Member

Apr 17, 2005, 11:56 AM
This thread is reminding me of all the failed concept levels I've made. Handicap CTF reminds me of a gametype I once made (a team game I called it Overload) where the more you get roasted, the more powerups you get. And if you get roasted enough times you couldn't score any more points for the other team.

Anyway... Let me talk about Handicap CTF. I wouldn't say the Handicap getting cancelled out is a bad thing, especially if the teams are evenly matched. Detecting when a player scores is where I see the problem. The closest thing I can think of is placing the bases in tubes (a la Zerox) and using team-based triggers and fancy stuff like that. So, for example, whenever a blue player goes through the red base's tube then the blue base's, red team gives blue team some benefit. You can image a player abusing this system by going back and force without the flag. I still like the idea of HCTF though. I just can't think of a good way to do it yet.

If only crates had an on/off option...
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

mikeejimbo

JCF Member

mikeejimbo is doing well so far

Apr 20, 2005, 03:37 PM
I had this interesting idea hosted in Treasure Hunt, where one person is started at the beginning of the level with the required number of gems, and everyone else starts at the end. Then the level is this long path, sort of like a race, and the object of the players without the gems is to assault the player with the gems to steal them and bring them back to the end. Obviously the player with the gems is trying to keep them and get the to the end. I called it "Convoy," after the CW McCall song.
42!
<BR>
Fnord!

JCF Member

Apr 21, 2005, 05:11 AM
Interesting idea, someone should try that out, really. ^^

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 21, 2005, 06:36 AM
I suppose Handicap CTF would work if each team had got a certain person who would be able to capture the flag.

JCF Member

Apr 21, 2005, 09:07 AM
Hmm, it would be more interesting if the convoy was actually a real convoy (a group of ppl). 3 well-armed ppl (the cruisers) could protect 1 lightly-armed person with the gems (the transport). The rest are in the wolf-pack.
BattleSpaz

JCF Member

BattleSpaz is doing well so far

Apr 21, 2005, 11:13 AM
hmm, i had these likes when i was younger and making noob levels and types.

one funny was a race with shields, so you will begin at beginning of the race, where is fire sields. you have to collect time and quickly get to end (on the way there is flamer only breakable walls) and then it would be one lap. it was a great mode, until i noticed that walls respawned too slowly.
mikeejimbo

JCF Member

mikeejimbo is doing well so far

Apr 21, 2005, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit
Hmm, it would be more interesting if the convoy was actually a real convoy (a group of ppl). 3 well-armed ppl (the cruisers) could protect 1 lightly-armed person with the gems (the transport). The rest are in the wolf-pack.
I suppose it could be converted to that.

And @LittleFreak: I've actually begun making one.

Oh yes, and another one I had an idea for, but it's purely theoretical.

All right, you know those Customizable Fighting Classes levels someone came up with? I know Cracco has a few, but I don't know who came up with it originally. (Though I surmise that similar ideas have been developed independently by many people)

Anyway, in these CFC levels, everyone starts off with a certain number of coins, and they use them to "purchase" advantages in the level.

MY idea is that you would be able to take DISADVANTAGES in order to get more coins to spend on other things. For example I was thinking of an "almost blind" disadvantage, where the level's lighting is reduced a great deal for you.
42!
<BR>
Fnord!

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Apr 22, 2005, 09:43 AM
Base construction

This is regular CTF with a twist. Both teams start with a CTF base, and there are paths of sorts in the level. The level allows teams to improve their base using triggers. In what way is up to the level creator. A team could be made to collect coins that allow them to create improvements to their base like closing vulnerable entrances, adding turrets, make it easier for them to go from one place to another within their base, etcetera. Another example would be that the base contains large portions of "construct" blocks, destruct scenery that turns from unmasked into masked after a certain amount of shots, allowing teams to interactively build things.

Base destruction

This is the opposite of the previous type, in a way. The base of each team starts out very easily defendable and good, and teams can then work on deconstructing or destroying eachother's base using trigger crates or by destroying destruct/buttstomp/speed scenery. Think survivor combined with team fortress.

I typed these up fast, and my browser is bugged with edit windows so i'll just post them without fixing them up/making them have a good explaination.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JCF Member

Apr 22, 2005, 09:45 AM
I like Quist's gamemodes, they sound fun aswell as possible. :)

And good luck to Mikejimbo. :D

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Apr 22, 2005, 09:49 AM
Join blur's server.

JCF Member

Apr 22, 2005, 09:50 AM
I'd like to. Too bad I can't.

JCF Member

Apr 22, 2005, 01:33 PM
Hmm...Frank, you can call it SimCTF. Make a person mayor, and everyone has to pay taxes to him in order for them to be able to warp into a room and shoot down coins, which the mayor will use to buy stuff in a room only he can enter...or something like that.

Tags
level design theory