Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Mystery Sound Effect

InfamousStar

JCF Member

InfamousStar is doing well so far

Oct 23, 2015, 03:59 PM
Mystery Sound Effect

I found this short tune among Jazz2's sound effects. Does anyone know if/where it is in the game?

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Oct 23, 2015, 04:04 PM
It's used nowhere. Judging from the name, "STONED", it's pretty obvious what it was supposed to be, though.

Is that the actual pitch at which the sound is supposed to play? I've only heard it (here) at a much slower pace.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Oct 23, 2015, 04:22 PM
It got replaced by the "WOWOWAEEWOWOOEEEOW" sound effect, most likely. Maybe they thought a tune for such a short time sounded too intrusive and cut off, especially if you were to land into the smoke rings again.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ
InfamousStar

JCF Member

InfamousStar is doing well so far

Oct 23, 2015, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
It got replaced by the "WOWOWAEEWOWOOEEEOW" sound effect, most likely. Maybe they thought a tune for such a short time sounded too intrusive and cut off, especially if you were to land into the smoke rings again.
The smoke rings would have been my guess, too. The sound does loop, so maybe it would have played the whole time you're dizzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
It's used nowhere. Judging from the name, "STONED", it's pretty obvious what it was supposed to be, though.

Is that the actual pitch at which the sound is supposed to play? I've only heard it (here) at a much slower pace.
I think the sound board is playing it at the correct pitch. The script I wrote to extract the sfx just seems to output everything at 2x speed.

Does anyone know if the label 'STONED' is actually anywhere in Anims.j2a, or if that's just the name on the soundboard?

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Oct 23, 2015, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousStar View Post
Does anyone know if the label 'STONED' is actually anywhere in Anims.j2a, or if that's just the name on the soundboard?
The sound effect names are stored in Jazz2.exe in plaintext strings. STONED is at 0xCC504 in 1.23, and presumably somewhere else in 1.24.