Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Does anyone know how to get JJR2 running on Mac?

twofatslugs

JCF Member

twofatslugs has disabled reputation

Dec 1, 2017, 08:53 AM

Hi! The recent release of JJR2 on GOG reminded me of this game that I can't believe I'd forgotten! It was probably the first game I'd ever played after my Dad got a free CD copy with a prebuilt computer and I vividly remember playing it after school.

I'm currently using a MacBook and while I think JJR2 got a Mac release, I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have any idea if I could get it to run on my MacBook? I've heard you can use a programme called Wineskin, but I have no idea how to use it.

Thanks in advance!

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 1, 2017, 09:28 AM
Wine is the way to go on this.

The most user-friendly option would be Winebottler, which let's you select a Windows installer or a .exe file and automatically turn it into a .app folder to run on MacOS. If JJ2 is the only Windows app you currently need, you can choose the checkmark to bundle Wine.app inside the package it produces. Then after it has successfully bottled a JJ2 and everything works, you may safely remove Winebottler.app and Wine.app from your Applications folder.

I'm not 100% sure on the steps anymore, but they should be:
1: Download Winebottler.
2: Open it, and drag both Winebottler.app and Wine.app to your Applications folder.
3: Open Winebottler from Applications, and go to the Advanced tab on the right.
4: Choose to install a program from an installer, select the JJ2 installer you got from GoG.com.
5: Fill in the app name and info however you want. the identifier can be anything as you don't sign the app. You may do com.epic.jj2 or something.
6: Best to tick the checkbox to include Wine.app bundled to make the app independent.
7: Start the install, and click through the JJ2 installer process. Paths and start menu stuff doesn't matter.
8: After it finishes, choose the .exe file that needs to be opened after starting the app. That would be Jazz2.exe if it lists that, but I'm not sure how the GoG version works with this.
9: Save the produced app to /Applications and test it. If everything works, you're free to remove Wine.app and Winebottler.app from /Applications unless you need to run more Windows apps.

Fun fact: A Mac version of JJ2 was initially ported and released. But it's version 1.23, lacks a level editor, produces some glitches while playing with Windows multiplayer clients, and only works on PowerPC Mac's which are today pretty much ancient in computer terms.
twofatslugs

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2017, 10:47 AM
Thank you so much! It seems to have done the trick! I installed the Secret Files as I assume this is the full game, not the Christmas Expansion. Just a quick question, is it possible to run the game in a window?

JCF Member

Darkhog is notorious for his worthless posts

Dec 1, 2017, 10:54 AM
Try alt+enter or if it doesn't work, you'll need to download JJ2+ version of the game (it doesn't have some levels and tilesets so you'd need to overwrite non-plus version with JJ2+).
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
╲___) (___╱  TUX LOVES YOU.
twofatslugs

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2017, 10:56 AM
Ohh okay. On the GoG version you can choose between the Secret Files and the Christmas expansions, I can't see an option to just download the base game.

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2017, 10:58 AM
TSF is the full game. JJ2+ version is under the "Game Goodies" thing.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
twofatslugs

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2017, 10:59 AM
Ohh okay! I didn't think it was the full release. Remember as a kid picking one of the many chapters to play from. So the secret files chapter is the whole game? Only options I have are Secret Files and the homegrown levels.

EDIT: Downloaded the full 55mb file and it has all the levels now. Chose the 48mb file in game goodies that only seemed to have the secret files and homegrown levels.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 1, 2017, 11:15 AM
Yes, that's a known issue with the JJ2+ branch on GOG, hopefully to be fixed at some point. But the regular TSF release contains all original official episodes, plus TSF.

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2017, 11:16 AM
You need to dl 55mb one first, then overwrite it (without removing anything from there) with 48mb version.
   ││_╱ │
  ╱╱   │╲
 (|▔╲  │ )
╱'╲_▔ _╱`╲
twofatslugs

JCF Member

Dec 1, 2017, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post
You need to dl 55mb one first, then overwrite it (without removing anything from there) with 48mb version.
Ohh so the full game in the 55mb one isn't the JJ2+ mod? How do I go about overwriting?

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 1, 2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofatslugs View Post
EDIT: Downloaded the full 55mb file and it has all the levels now. Chose the 48mb file in game goodies that only seemed to have the secret files and homegrown levels.

That seems to be a problem with the JJ2+ enabled version currently (the 48mb package). Currently you’ll need the regular Secret Files version to select all episodes, until the Plus version gets a patch or something.

Moving out of fullscreen would be Alt(option)+Enter, but if that doesn’t work you could force it by pressing Alt(option)+Tab and then force quit the app from the menu bar. Next time you start JJ2, it’ll likely be Windowed. Just use JJ2’s menu to go back to fullscreen from the Video tab.