Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Pesky tree problem

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2007, 04:38 AM
Pesky tree problem

Hello everyone! I've got myself into some trouble with the jungle tileset. I'm making a level which should resemble a forest. Thus, loads of trees. The only problem is that all the tree tiles in the tileset are masked, so Jazz keeps bumping into them when testing the level. I want the level to be full of trees, but I don't want all of them to obstruct the players path.
I've placed trees on the 3rd and 5th layer of the level, but that results in tilebugs:

The tree on layer 3 gives tilebugs which cannot be solved. The tree on layer 5 dissappears behind the ground. It looks kinda weird, and when jazz stands on a branch, the tree seems to be placed on both layers.

This is the way I solved it, but I'm not satisfied with this solution.

My question is: does anybody have an idea on how to make those trees be placed on the foreground and background without tilebugs? Or does anybody know a good example level for the jungle tileset?

Thanks in advance!

JCF Member

Pako is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2007, 05:36 AM
Have you tried to place the bottom of the tree and branches in layer 4 and the rest in layer 5?

JCF Member

Dec 13, 2007, 06:33 AM
The branches are already placed in layer 4. Placing the roots in layer 4 makes the tree look very unrealistic with jazz standing on top of it and the rest of the trunk behind him. Besides that, jazz would still bump into the roots of the tree...

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 13, 2007, 06:48 AM
I'm afraid the only solution is to edit the tileset.

JCF Member

Raven aka StL should make better posts

Dec 13, 2007, 09:16 AM
That is correct.
No one usually cares about characters going behind the ground part of the 'tree base' tiles when they're in the foreground. It's just unsolvable.
Of course, it would be mighty convenient if 'tree base' tiles without ground were provided as well.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Dec 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
This is actually minimally visible when playing.
You could TRY using slopes or maybe even float up to avoid player from being in the point where this is visible. Even put invisible masked tiles (I recall there are such in Jungle as I used them for sure). But really, this is just being bery in-depth. Most players won't care about this minor setback.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Dec 14, 2007, 02:57 AM
The invisible tile idea was one I though up too. Put the tree trunk in layer 5, and remove the ground tiles that obstruct the image of the trunk. Then use the invisible tiles to make sure Jazz can walk over it. Problem is that the ground is made up of two tiles.
I guess this is the best solution ATM.

Thanks everyone!