Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Advice for a newbie

instig1989

JCF Member

instig1989 has disabled reputation

May 3, 2018, 10:02 AM
Unhappy Advice for a newbie

Hello!
I'm new to this forum, I mainly registered because I have no clue how to find a certain version of Jazz2.
I've been looking for a version with working intros and the old Game title, the green one by Nick Stadler instead of the yellow one by Dean Dodrill.
I know it's something very pedantic, but I just want to have the original look of vanilla Jazz but with working intros.
I found a version 1.0 on some abandon-ware site but like I said some parts of the intros are missing, namely the Orange games logo and the sound effects to the Dean Dodrill animation.

If anyone could humor me I would be very thankful! ;3;

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

May 3, 2018, 10:07 AM
Sounds like version 1.20

However, links to non-shareware free downloads are forbidden here, so you won't have much luck.

It is available on GOG though, but I'm not sure if it's 1.20. Most likely it would be 1.23 and 1.24.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 3, 2018, 10:15 AM
GOG sells only 1.24 and 1.24x, not 1.23 or below.

JCF Member

May 3, 2018, 01:03 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Sounds like version 1.20

However, links to non-shareware free downloads are forbidden here, so you won't have much luck.

It is available on GOG though, but I'm not sure if it's 1.20. Most likely it would be 1.23 and 1.24.
Thanks! That's a hint to start with. =3
Is there a place where i can find all the version numbers?
An update log of sorts?

Thanks for the help!

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 3, 2018, 03:45 PM
Here's the official changelog from 1.20 to 1.23 inclusive, but it doesn't actually mention the logo. I'm pretty sure the color changed in 1.22, however.

Missing from that list:
1.23x: Added christmas versions of the Lizard, Float Lizard, and Normal Turtle enemies, plus the Bilsy boss
1.24: Added new playable character Lori, added Cat and Pacman Ghost enemies, quadrupled the number of tiles usable in levels and tilesets, changed how powered-up ice works, added -spaz and -lori command line options.
1.24x: Changed the menu palette and gave it a snow effect

Last edited by Violet CLM; May 16, 2018 at 09:20 PM.
instig1989

JCF Member

May 4, 2018, 03:43 AM
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Here's the official changelog from 1.20 to 1.23 inclusive, but it doesn't actually mention the logo. I'm pretty sure the color changed in 1.22, however.

Missing from that list:
1.23x: Added christmas versions of the Lizard, Float Lizard, and Normal Turtle enemies, plus the Bilsy boss
1.24: Added new playable character Lori, added Cat and Pacman Ghost enemies, quadrupled the number of tiles usable in levels and tilesets, changed how powered-up ice works
1.24x: Changed the menu palette and gave it a snow effect
Thank you so much! x3

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

May 5, 2018, 04:35 AM
1.20 is the original version released by Project2 across Europe, it had Nick's original logo.

1.21 and 1.22 were both released by Gathering of Developers depending on the retail timeframe, and as far as I can remember, they both had the updated yellow logo. 1.22 should've been available as a file-replacement patch at some point, but I never came across it.

1.23 was solely released as a patch program that patched all retail versions (1.20 - 1.22) to 1.23.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

May 13, 2018, 03:10 AM
Lets have a look at version 1.20

I happen to still own my original release JJ2 CD with version 1.20 from 1998, and despite being pretty badly scratched it happily still works! This green CD with the grey JJ2 logo is the UK release which was distributed by a company called Black Friar. I've seen multiple different CDs for JJ2 online but to my knowledge this design with the tagline "He's At It Again!" was exclusive to this UK release.

The number 2 on this title card was pink for some reason.

As for the game itself, the most notable difference in the menus is that the old green logo design from the beta versions is still used, and that the menu has a bluish background rather than being mono-purple.

Unlike later releases, 1.20 did not come included with any custom levels.

In terms of gameplay, it's not significantly different from later versions. The most notable differences that I noticed as follows:
  • Carrots can be eaten even when at full health. You don't get any extra health beyond the maximum, but you still get points and the temporary invincibility.
  • You can also collect ammo even when you have the maximum, and you won't get any additional ammo for doing so.
  • Airboards can be used underwater, as seen below. They have pretty glitchy behavior, with frames often skipping back and forth between airboard and swimming animations. You can even buttstomp underwater with them which is bizarre, since you can still see the airboard animation while doing this!
  • Fire Shield bullets work underwater, also see below.
  • No Capture 4 (Chemical Warfare).
  • It's possible to get stuck in masked tiles with One Way events by buttstomping on them. With very thin masks such as the "Tower Oaks" sign in the Colonial levels, it is actually possible to completely phase through them!

There's also allegedly a whole bunch of improvements to the multiplayer and online netcode in later patches, but I can't assess those because of the lack of 1.20 compatible servers.

So there you have it! I hope that answers all your questions.

JCF Member

G@vie is doing well so far

May 15, 2018, 03:02 AM
We've also had that same release here in The Netherlands though, so I don't think it was exclusive to the UK. As on your disk, It has both the Black Friar (UK publisher) and Project 2 logo's (rest of Europe) on it.

I absolutely love this box art btw.