Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Announcing new tileset / A few questions for the JJ2 community

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 16, 2018, 03:09 PM
It seems to have uploaded, although only a j2t is included, no example levels or readme.

JCF Member

Blade has disabled reputation

May 16, 2018, 03:11 PM
Yeah, Violet, something strange is going on.

I couldn't upload all the files I wanted, but then it accepted a zip with only the j2t in it.

Would you happen to know what this is all about?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 16, 2018, 03:12 PM
If you can post the error message here that should help me figure this out.

JCF Member

May 16, 2018, 03:16 PM
Hi Stijn, thanks for the help.

Now I managed to upload the whole package except for one file, a instructional png.

At first I couldn't upload anything and the form gave the error “Not a valid zip file. Please upload your file as a .zip archive of at most 10 MB.”

Now that I am trying to re-upload, the system gives me an "Error! file not found".

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 16, 2018, 03:22 PM
That is a strange bug for sure. I tried uploading the zip file you just uploaded, which worked fine - and I can't at a glance see anything wrong with the script. Sorry for the inconvenience! Can you upload the zip file elsewhere or e-mail it to stijn@jazz2online.com? I should be able to get it onto the site.

JCF Member

May 16, 2018, 03:23 PM
Thank you for looking into this Stijn.

I'll email you the intended zip to stijn@jazz2online.com ASAP.

Administrator

May 16, 2018, 03:39 PM
I fixed the responsible site bug and the proper zip file is now available for download: https://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/7852/aztec-2/.
Old May 20, 2018, 01:54 PM
Blade
This message has been deleted by Blade.

JCF Member

May 20, 2018, 02:07 PM
mini retrospect

Hi JCF!!

Sorry for the screw-ups with these messages

Aztec 2 is now released and to be frank, I feel a bit empty inside! I have no tileset to fiddle with anymore. I poured so many hours to that thing that it feels weird not to continue the work ad infinitum.

You may have guessed it but I really like creating Jazz Jackrabbit 2 tilesets. It's a personal tragedy that I didn't manage to create anything new between Fortress of Forgotten Souls and Aztec 2, but now that I am eased back into Jazz2, it's quite possible that I will return to the drawing board quite soon.

Take care everyone, have a nice week.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

May 20, 2018, 02:41 PM
It's great to see another quality tileset released this year!

If you're stuck with ideas for a new set, may I suggest an Oasis remake? PurpleJazz was making a level with Oasis, totally exceeding the limitations via scripting, and brand new art assets would help make it look much better and more diverse. In fact, I was planning to remake it myself many months (if not, a year) ago, so maybe we could collab a little? As well as close attention to detail, I have examples of what I can do, though it would feel rude posting it here. Mail me if interested.

No pressure though, I'd imagine you're a little burnt out from hours of effort working on the set.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

May 20, 2018, 03:16 PM
Thanks for delivering an outstanding tileset, Blade. Hell of a way to make a 20th anniversary gift if there ever was one. We should all be counting our lucky stars that we got such a piece of art, even so late in the game.

I was expecting this would be the end from you, all things considered but I'm also delighted that you can't resist making another There truly is something in this game that just won't let anybody let go, isn't there.

In the meanwhile I hope to see an Aztec 2 level from everyone. In fact I've already got to work:

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

May 20, 2018, 04:52 PM
working on one aswell

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

May 21, 2018, 05:19 AM
Meanwhile, here's what I'm making.

The inspiration is sort of a combination of Turtemple, Deserto, EvilMike's Temple and also Snooze's long-lost 19th Temple tileset. I have to say I absolutely love the flexibility of this set!

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

May 21, 2018, 01:51 PM
That looks amazing PJ

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

May 22, 2018, 02:23 PM
@PurpleJazz

The background is lit

Looking great.

JCF Member

Jun 18, 2018, 01:21 PM
Hello fellow rabbits,

Sorry about the massively belated answer to the thread.

I am looking at your modifications to Aztec 2 and I am literally speechless. I have to say I am quite oblivious to the extent of things which are obtainable nowadays with JJ2 tilesets but, damn, it took you no time to create new environments and atmospheres out of Aztec 2. Some talented people we have here! If there are any developments in these projects, I'll be happy to hear from them here!

A month has already passed since the release of Aztec 2 and I find myself playing with new tileset ideas. In case I get something going on, you can be sure I will be here to communicate about it. Treylina, thank you for your collaboration proposal. I am definitely not burnt out, but my working schedule/rhythm for JJ2 tilesets will be nothing less than erratic (if I even manage to start up a project again). I currently have no intention to do any more remakes or sequels to my old tilesets. But I am not one to turn down proposals like these. I'll contact you sooner or later!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, let me just say that JJ2, J2O and the community holds a special place in my heart. It will never go away and like you just witnessed this spring, the special spot is strong enough to pull me back in after 10 years of absence. Thank you everybody.

Let's end this post with a bit of trivia:

Did you spot the easter egg I planted in Aztec 2? I am worried I'd forget this myself so might as well share it right now Some of the scribblings in the wide pillars kind of make sense. This is because I've hidden names of some of my favourite games in there. You'll find references to JJ2, Mass Effect, Star Control 2, Descent (2) and The Witcher. Did ever play these games?

Last edited by Blade; Jun 18, 2018 at 01:34 PM.
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Aug 7, 2018, 08:07 PM
While Aztec 2 is quite versatile and functional, I find that it lacks certain types of shadow tiles etc.

If the author isn't careful, the set can be bad for multiplayer levels, because of all the bright colors, relatively simple style etc.

Those are minor things, but I wanted to post them here for future reference on how to make sets.

Last edited by FireSworD; Aug 7, 2018 at 08:55 PM.

JCF Member

PT32 is an asset to this forum

Aug 8, 2018, 03:20 PM
Late to the posting party, but wanted to pitch in. I'm currently planning to incorporate Aztec 2 in my new singleplayer pack, though I don't have much to show yet. And yes Blade, speaking as someone back to levelmaking after a five-year absence, the gravity of Jazz is real. This game and community mean the world to me.