Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Signed CD Giveaway

JCF Member

rdr666 has disabled reputation

May 8, 2018, 03:09 PM
Smile One of my inspirations

I didn't play Jazz 1 until a few years ago, but Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was one of my first games ever. It got me and my younger brother into games and we would spend countless hours after school playing it together.

It's also one of the games that inspired me to be a developer. I am not in the industry just yet, but I'm in school taking classes to be a game designer and eventually work my way up to being a creative director. Nobody in my school aside from some of my professors have even heard of it, but everyone I show the series to ends up loving it. <3

I would DIE in happiness if I had it signed :')
I'm also planning on making a video review of both games sometime soon when I get the physical copies.

My favorite memory would have to be one day when my little brother and I were playing deathmatches on it for cookies. My mom made us a pretty big batch of our favorite cookies and put them in a bowl. Every time one of us killed the other, we got a cookie. (ie if he killed me, he got one). It was raining that day, and every time I play the game in the laboratory level and hear that music (and the first level music) it reminds me of that day. We ended up getting our even smaller brother into the game too, and last christmas we played the christmas levels and had an absolute blast! (pun intended haha) except we played with him for gingerbread cookies. Fun times.

I would also like to use this post to thank the developers for making the game. (if they are actually reading this.) This small gem of a game has made such a huge impact on me, my life, and my career and It's a treasure that I will hold to my heart forever.
luke11685

Banned

luke11685 is doing well so far

May 9, 2018, 12:41 AM
Happy birthday to Jazz Jackrabbit 2.I'm so glad to see article about Jazz Jackrabbit Advance on jazz jackrabbit related only Wikipedia.I would love to see Epic Games revival of Dean Dodrill's Jazz Jackrabbit 3 this time as full version not demo it was(old jj3d alpha demo)better than jj gba remake back then.This could be better solution to make jj3d new demo(if Epic Games want to try find a new publisher I hope it will succeed) I wouldn't be too happy if Epic Games with Nintendo partnership might re-release Jazz Jackrabbit Advance for Nintendo Switch.

Last edited by luke11685; May 9, 2018 at 04:17 AM.
NoBit

JCF Member

NoBit has disabled reputation

May 9, 2018, 07:19 PM
My favorite memory of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was playing it at my friends house for the first time. I was blown away. I was primarily a console gamer up until that point. I though the graphics and audio were amazing. I begged for a decent PC for a year or so until our family got one. I was then able to sink some serious hours into it.

I recently put together an old Win98 PC just to play with a gravis gamepad!
grim-one

JCF Member

grim-one has disabled reputation

May 10, 2018, 08:09 AM
I remember opening Jazz Jackrabbit one Christmas for our ancient PC. My sister and I would take turns running through the levels. Arguments would always ensue when a bonus level popped up because we both loved them.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 10, 2018, 09:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the attention and all the really touching stories so far! I'm pleased to announce we've added a fifth CD to the prize pool, to increase everyone's chances a little bit more.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

May 10, 2018, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Thanks everyone for the attention and all the really touching stories so far! I'm pleased to announce we've added a fifth CD to the prize pool, to increase everyone's chances a little bit more.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz
Fastmancz

JCF Member

Fastmancz has disabled reputation

May 10, 2018, 02:20 PM
It's been so long since I first launched the game Jazz Jackrabbit 2. I remember how I played it on Windows 98, it was one of the best games at the time. It is a pity that another part of this game is not being developed. For me the best favorite memory is the soundtrack and the overall processing of the game including graphics.

I Thanks the developers for this awesome game! 👍

Best regards from the Czech Republic,
Fastmancz.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

May 11, 2018, 04:37 AM
Back in the day, I used to lower the screen resolution to 320x240 because I would love to see bigjazz on the screen. Never realized why everything looked pixelated with 240p back then. But bigger, the better.

Took me 3 years to actually kill the witch on the final level of shareware version of JJR2. Felt like an achievement to finally kill that thing. Oh wait, it really is an achievement.

Banned

May 11, 2018, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
Back in the day, I used to lower the screen resolution to 320x240 because I would love to see bigjazz on the screen. Never realized why everything looked pixelated with 240p back then. But bigger, the better.

Took me 3 years to actually kill the witch on the final level of shareware version of JJR2. Felt like an achievement to finally kill that thing. Oh wait, it really is an achievement.
Well in my case she kept turning Jazz Jackrabbit into frog when I was trying to defeat this enemy.

JCF Member

adamhm has disabled reputation

May 11, 2018, 05:39 AM
The Jazz Jackrabbit series was recommended to me a lot by friends for years (and I got the soundtracks some time ago as part of a game music bundle), but it wasn't until the games were re-released on GOG that I was able to actually play them. So my memories of the series are mostly of those recommendations and the quality of the soundtrack that led to me buying the games - and of playing them for the first time

Not long after the GOG launch I put together a Wine wrapper for Jazz Jackrabbit 2 to make it easier to play on Linux & more like playing a native game It runs great, too (at least single player/offline); check out its release thread over on GOG's forums for more info
PC-King

JCF Member

PC-King has disabled reputation

May 11, 2018, 12:18 PM
Hey everyone,

I decided to make something for the Signed CD Giveaway today. It was quite some work but I think it came out pretty okay:

I'm not really sure if I should paint it or not. What do you guys think? Here's a little WIP:

Hope you all like it. It will join the display with the rest of my collection later this month. ^^

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

May 11, 2018, 01:27 PM
That is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen.

JCF Member

happygreenfrog has disabled reputation

May 11, 2018, 03:13 PM
I haven't been a Jazz Jackrabbit 2 fan for very long.

However, if I had to choose just one memory, it'd probably be the boss of Medivo in my first run through of the game. I was keeping everybody up-to-date on where I was on the Discord server. Everybody was warning me that Medivo's boss was hard and that I should expect the unexpected. However, I could have never expected that the boss would be the hilarious.. thing that was Bolly.

I died a lot to Bolly my first time through, because I was still incredibly new to the game, but I found easy mode too easy and was playing on hard mode as a result. However, when I eventually bested Bolly, the feeling of finally besting such a tough challenge (for a newcomer who didn't realize stomping was so exploitable) was amazing. And the fact that the community had given me so much build-up to it from outside the game just made it all the better and memorable.

That, I think, is my favorite memory of the game so far.

My second pick for memory is probably the closing of JDC 28, where, if memory serves, everybody was having so much fun with Head Hunters once we started playing it during the event (which IIRC we were doing because I suggested we play Head Hunters on Skyward Showdown), we pretty much just kept doing Head Hunters mode for most of the rest of the closing event. I'm more fuzzy on the details on that one though, so I could be remembering that completely incorrectly.

As for my fan-work, I just released a custom episode, which can be found here: https://www.jazz2online.com/download...ror-revisited/

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 11, 2018, 05:00 PM
That's a beautiful statue! I honestly think it looks fine as it is, but if you've got enough green paint it could be worth a try colouring it...

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

May 12, 2018, 12:11 AM
My favourite memory of JJ2 is spending time hanging out with people in "Random Levels" servers. I really miss the days when we had somewhat of a JCSing demoscene where people would regularly send their work-in-progress levels to the person hosting the server so that we could all check them out and comment on them. Not everything got finished, but it was still awesome to see the continuous flow of creativity. I also miss the banter and the in-depth discussions well into the early hours of the morning!
luke11685

Banned

May 12, 2018, 01:18 AM
So was this jazz jackrabbit statue/figurine made by using 3d printer?

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

May 12, 2018, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke11685 View Post
do you know what clay is?

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

May 12, 2018, 03:15 AM
I wish to not be selected as one of the winners, as I strongly believe others here are far more deserving than I to receive the rewards. I am replying to show my appreciation of the game.

The Genesis:

I received Jazz Jackrabbit 2 as a Christmas present in 1998. I remember being totally absorbed into the game's graphics, music and game-play, and I was always a huge fan of 2D side-scrollers.

Jazz 2 City Era - 1999:

After gaining internet access, I went to the official JJ2 site, and that brought me to Jazz 2 City. Steven Wakeman was one of the people in charge of that site, and I emailed levels to him under the name Opar. All of my levels there are ***, but I know those same levels would probably get 4 at most on J2O now.

My favorite level from Jazz 2 City was Bunnies vs Golfers by the Question. You can check it out in the J2C archives.

I never played JJ2 online during this period.

Universe Jazz Era:

After Jazz 2 City closed down, Alienator started his own JJ2 fansite named Universe Jazz. This was around the time I stopped doing things on the internet for a while.

Jazz 2 Online Era - 2001+ (2002+ for online play):

The very first time I played jj2 online was when I entered "iCeD's Server", which was a dedicated CTF server that hosted levels like Swingin' Jazz, Inner Evil, JAIL and Diamondus Warzone. I just walked around, since I didn't know that you had to constantly run in order to be a good player.

Monolith also hosted a dedicated battle server at the time named "Battle Server", which hosted lots of Splash, Spy AD and Monolith levels. One level in particular I remember is Unemotional Landscape.

BlurredD hosted servers like CtF BeAtDoWn, and he was working on levels like Forsaken and 60,000 feet under, and he was very proud of Security Breach when he finished it.

At the time, things like lag exceeding 1000ms and a smaller resolution etc made jj2 much more unbearable to play, but there were funny moments resulting from extreme lag and jj2's past bugs: Like when Blackraptor stomped my lag-clone to death in JmaN's hotel level, which should've taken all of my coins away, thus preventing me from buying valuable things at a shop, but I got a "black-screen-death" from dying on a carrot, which enabled me to keep my coins after death. I still remember Violet replying "Kill him again!" .

While I hated the rampant hotel domination of that era, I absolutely loved the game-play-centric hotels like Fooville, JmaN's hotel, Fireball's hotel, Violet's hotel and a hotel by Scizor CT and Lark.

Spotty and Black Ninja were making foo races and other associated products, which, for the most part, were fun. I wouldn't recommend that stuff for very serious people though.

EvilMike was working on his devres Single Player episodes, and I was one of his testers for The Rebirth of Evil. I found a crucial bug: I got a sugar rush as a frog, and used its tongue to smash a crate behind a door in Deserto Orbital Base, thus ruining the level's game-play.

I've enjoyed many duels and team games, but I'd rather not talk about those.

About a decade after I started playing jj2 online, people like Snooze hosted servers to show off their's and other people's works, and it was a great source of inspiration. There were ups and downs, plently of joke levels and generally lots of fun stuff.

Of course I have tons of other moments, but that's all for now.

Last edited by FireSworD; May 17, 2018 at 04:17 PM.
luke11685

Banned

May 12, 2018, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGPW View Post
do you know what clay is?
Sure I know.I was never good with making clay models.PC King just doesn't explain how he made his jazz jackrabbit clay model.So I thought 3d printer might print 3d models in gray(you know as default colour)colour.I admit there are huge difference between 3d printer and clay models.Btw this clay model is amazing I would love to see more clay models.Well the differences between 3d printer and clay models are 3d models in 3d printer is specific plastic and clay is just plastic mass made of petroleum jelly mixed with calcium carbonate and fatty acids, used for spatial modeling.Well ShadowGPW I just thought he will use colourful pieces of clays.Honestly I initially thought he made jazz jackrabbit rigged model in some 3d modelling software.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

May 12, 2018, 05:33 AM
It's pretty obvious that this is made in clay.

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends
Old May 12, 2018, 08:19 AM
utahjazzjackrabbit
This message has been deleted by utahjazzjackrabbit.

JCF Member

ionut00 has disabled reputation

May 12, 2018, 10:38 AM
Jazz 2 meant for me a lot and it means now, it was my first game I played.
It all started in 2003 when I had my first computer (although I wanted a computer a few years ago was not possible from the financial plan) and now we return to 2003 when the one I bought the computer was an acquaintance and I put in it five games first being Jazz 2 (version 1.20), he used every time I went to repair the computer I always installed Jazz 2 even he played. So I know we play it every day, I was not able to get through the Carrotus level. One day a cousin came and when he saw Jazz 2 so much he liked he got a CD with the game. In 2007 I managed to finish the game even though I had some difficulties like the Dimondus bees and finally the last boss (Devan) at that time I did not have access to the internet until a few months later when I searched the web for Jazz, I was very astonished and fascinated when I found so much about Francis Jazz. From the very first searches I came across this wonderful Jazz2online community where I found so much information and where I found out and there were "The secret files" and "Christmas Cronicles" but also about the existence of Lori who passionately loved me being the third playable character I had not seen until that time, and after a while I got the whole franchise collection containing Jazz 1 (not running because I do not know its configuration at No sound card), Jazz 2, Jazz 2 tsf, Jazz 2 Christmas cronicles, Jazz 2 Holiday Hare and Jazz 3 alpha demo version. Then I found out a fangam called Razz Arena, which at the time was in the process but still unfortunately has remained, and another Jazz 2 3d fangame that I do not think has been released yet , there were some screenshots with him at that time I still have them on a CD but I do not know where he is, I also searched for Jazz 3 Revived at that time but I did not find it In 2008 I found playing Jazz Advance on a gba emulator, then in 2009 I was able to configure the settings for Jazz 1 to run and even sound, and so I was happy to have all the franchise collection. In the same year we also found Jazz 2 that included all 8 episodes in a playing alone, I was very excited at that time and I also played the first time online, ath but I remember there were more players on the servers.In 2011 Epic released that Jazz ios Tech demo, I played it with the Unreal engine.
In 2012, Jazz 3 received major changes from Jazz Gruff, which we hoped, however, to complete that project.
Last year I discovered that I can play Jazz 2 (1.20) and TSF, Christmas Cronicles on the Android device with the Exagear application even Jazz 3 later. I'm still happy to play Jazz games on android even Jazz 1 with Open Jazz. I played the Galactic Rabbit but it's not like the original.
I recently picked up the Jazz collection on GOG and I'm happy with it, now I can play Jazz 1 on Windows 10 and the rest. I like it very much Jazz 2 Plus is amazing I think that from now on I will use this version to play on servers but also to create own levels, yet I hope for a new playable character in the next update (I prefer Razz)
Jazz is and will remain my favorite game. I hope that one day this francisco will be revived.

JCF Member

Dominator_101 has disabled reputation

May 12, 2018, 11:48 AM
Jazz 2 was probably one of the most prominent games of my childhood. We didn’t have it on our home computer, but almost every time we were over our grandmother’s house my brother and I would find ourselves playing. My older brother usually played as Jazz, but I much preferred his crazy younger brother Spaz (maybe there’s some parallels you could draw there…). I remember hating the dang bees in Diamondus (which I still do today) and trying time and time again to beat the freakin' Medivo boss (who I can now kill in like 5 seconds). I usually started in Episode 2 because I loved the colony levels, even though those fencer guys would still get the best of me. I even remember tinkering around with JCS and making a couple levels, though I can’t speak to their quality :P

And now years later, at the risk of sounding super cheesy, I even have the opportunity to create new memories with the game I loved as a kid by joining the speedrunning community. If you told me as a kid that I’d eventually be able to beat all of Jazz 2 in under 20 minutes I don’t think I would’ve ever believed you. Even in the short time I’ve been a part of the community I’ve had a great time (And gotten some great times too!...I’ll see myself out…). I hope I continue to love this game and keep improving my skills. I mean, someone’s gotta try and keep the pressure on Binary :P

Also, i don't claim to even remotely be an artist, but thought I'd give it a shot and draw the best idle animation in gaming.

I should've gone a little darker with the colors, they got kinda washed out in the scan.

JCF Member

MartiusR has disabled reputation

May 12, 2018, 03:39 PM
My favourite memory - I remember up to this day, how my (and my sibling's) adventure with Jazz 2 began. It was during Children's Day (in Poland - 1st June), when we could choose some game for our PC. I remember that I've convinced my younger sibling (2 brothers, sister was back then very young and didn't play on PC yet) to choose Jazz Jackrabbit 2: Secret Files (edition with "merged" JJ2 and JJ2: SF add-on) - game, which we didn't hear earlier. My older brother, who was always "against" me, decided to choose some old Sierra's racing game for DOS. Fortunately, in the end, our father bought us both games, as the one chosen by me was rather cheap (20 polish zlotys). I remember that I couldn't wait to check it, as we had back then Windows Millenium on our PC, which was causing issues to some Windows games (not to mention about DOS games). Back in this day I've come back from school later than all my sibling, but when I came home, they told me, that Jazz is working fine, it's in polish version as well and that it's very cool game. I was happy before I've even started to play the game - and later it was only better and better (BTW - game chosen by my brother didn't launch, he probably never managed to play in it :P)

Sadly, I no longer have mentioned copy, as (probably) one of my sibling have borrowed it years ago to someone, who appareantly didn't gave it back. But with GOG's release I don't have to worry about it anymore (bought it instantly when it was released)

Up to this day Jazz 2 is for me one of the most important games of childhood, and game which I can get back anytime and still have with it some fun. I like the fact that this game was back in early 2000' extremely popular in Poland (probably still is ) and that I had opportunity to "jump in" and also have a taste of carrots and blasters

JCF Member

CarrotusKnight has disabled reputation

May 12, 2018, 04:18 PM
Thumbs up Best of the best!

First of all: THANK YOU for keeping Jazz community alive and for the opportunity of winning this amazing prizes!

One does not simply choose ONE favorite memory of Jazz Jackrabbit 2, but I'll try!

There was this one time when me and two of my friends gathered at my friend's house after school and decided to play Treasure Hunt mode against each. That quickly turned into a whole tournament with different modes (mainly Treasure Hunt and Race) and small prizes like a glass of Cola of something. It was so much fun!

https://imgur.com/a/wQW6zkN

Last edited by CarrotusKnight; May 12, 2018 at 05:17 PM.
cxr2262

JCF Member

cxr2262 has disabled reputation

May 12, 2018, 06:10 PM
Cool Jazzercise

Some of my first memories are playing Jazz Jackrabbit, on an old IBM. For me, Jazz was the standard. Mario and Sonic were judged against the green rabbit. When Jazz 2 was on the horizon, I was giddy like, well, I was a schoolboy. It wasn't until 2 years after release when I finally got the full version of Jazz 2. I spent countless days, warm and cold, rain and shine, playing jazz 2 with a cheap, third party controller, running around, shooting turtles, and having a hell of a time. As for one memory? Well, I remember the texture of the leather and wood of the chair i was sitting in, and of the paper stuck to the computer table from a water stain, literally scratching my itch to play as the screen loaded the intro. I think the B52s - Rock Lobster was playing.
evilroosterboy

JCF Member

evilroosterboy has disabled reputation

May 12, 2018, 10:36 PM
I first played Jazz 2 when I was about ten, and I loved it! Probably my favourite memory was finding out that I could listen to all the music for it outside of the game. I listened to it constantly while doing my homework, to the point that my parents were utterly sick of hearing it, but I didn't care!

Maybe a close second memory was replaying some of the game a few years ago, and discovering that it has stood the test of time well and is still a great game. Maybe it's time for a full replay this year...

JCF Member

Kass has disabled reputation

May 13, 2018, 03:04 AM
I think I was either 5 or 6 years old when I first played Jazz Jackrabbit 2. My favorite memory is of me and my older brother playing on the coolest level in the game (sorry for the pun) A Cold day in Heck, mostly because of the snow theme and the presence of creepy trees and spooky scary skeletons!
PC-King

JCF Member

May 13, 2018, 03:04 AM
So I made something but I haven't shared my favorite Jazz Jackrabbit 2 memory yet. So here it is: The answer is actually quite easy. My favorite memory is the Jazz Jackrabbit Event last February in the Netherlands. That day was one of the most awesome days of my life! It had everything a Jazz Jackrabbit fan could ever dream for:
- World’s Largest Jazz Jackrabbit Collection on display.
- LIVE Jazz Jackrabbit music performed by "Floppy Ears and the Big Guns!"
- A LIVE Jazz Jackrabbit 1 Speedrun performance done by SimonN
- A Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Arcade Cabinet
- A visit from Michiel van der Leeuw and two people from Project Two Interactive
- Some really amazing Jazz Jackrabbit donations
- And maybe most importantly a meetup with you guys!

I'll never forget that day and I hope I'll be able to organize days like that again in the future (maybe next year?). https://pckingblog.wordpress.com/201...-groot-succes/ - (dutch article)

A close second memory would be meeting "Bartjaah!" (AKA DOSGamert) and play/stream Jazz Jackrabbit 2 together with him. I've played Jazz Jackrabbit 2 before, but playing it together with a friend is so much more fun. So, thanks Bart!
PC-King

JCF Member

May 13, 2018, 03:08 AM
Quote:
In the WIP picture (below the picture of the statue) it's better visible that it's made with clay, but to make it even more clear... Here's me modeling the clay:

luke11685

Banned

May 13, 2018, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC-King View Post
In the WIP picture (below the picture of the statue) it's better visible that it's made with clay, but to make it even more clear... Here's me modeling the clay:

So in that case this Jazz Jackrabbit clay model is confirmed now.

Last edited by ShadowGPW; May 14, 2018 at 05:19 AM.

JCF Member

May 13, 2018, 03:40 AM
Quote:
So in that case this Jazz Jackrabbit clay model is confirmed now.
It was already obvious...

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

May 13, 2018, 04:24 AM
I have plenty of good memories of Jazz and the community. My earliest memory is as a 5 year old, seeing my dad try and play Jazz1 shareware on his PC leaving me in awe, asking desperately if I can play too. The next day was my first experience with Jazz and PC gaming in general, even though I couldn’t get past halfway of Diamondus 1, lol.

When Jazz2 came out I obviously wanted to have it! Again, I had to play it on my dad’s PC as my own oldie couldn’t run it. I remember feeling dazzled by the fact that ‘everything was so small on the screen’ and even got a little put off by that for a while! My bro finished the game before me, as I too struggled getting past Bolly and the Jungle levels. As for multiplayer, I did enjoy some splitscreen co-op games with my bro and an occasional race & CTF, but due to dial-up prices and restrictions we couldn’t go online more than a few short moments to try it.

My real early online experience came around 2003 when we got our first always-on ADSL connection and my dad bought me a 2nd hand PC upgrade. While I was a terrible noob, I did enjoy the social experience trying to communicate with bad English on J2O, meeting others, making friends. Joining The Server and other such random games. The 2005 Bash.. But I guess about everyone’s first online experience as a noob was magical!

And lastly, amazing work on that sculpture Anne! Wow!

JCF Member

NazoKG has disabled reputation

May 13, 2018, 07:10 AM
My favourite memory of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was finally finding it again after years of searching, and getting to re-discover it like it was the first time.
When I was young, we lived in Poland and there weren't that many PC games around that we could get our hands on, but one of the games that I remember playing for hours was Jazz Jackrabbit 2. It was the stuff of dreams, with tight controls, beautiful graphics and extremely catchy music.
When my family had to move abroad due to economic reasons, we couldn't take the computer with us, so I had to leave it all behind.
Years later, I began searching for the game again but since I was young at the time that I played it, I couldn't remember the title of the game. I did end up finding it after some intensive web-searching, and once I downloaded it onto my PC and started playing it, it felt like I was a 6 year old once again, having just as much fun as I did back then.
But the best part was that, since this was so long ago that I beat the game, I got the chance to re-live the experience for a second time - not something I can say about a lot of games that I played. It's like playing it for the first time, but still going "Hey, I remember this!" when you enter a new level. The laboratory level from JJ2 is still one of my favourite levels in video games to this day.

I also did a drawing of Jazz and Spaz together!
https://imgur.com/iGsZA4o
Mosquito

JCF Member

Mosquito has disabled reputation

May 13, 2018, 07:24 AM
My favorite memories regarding Jazz 2 would be playing with friends and my brother back in the day. Usually just split screen on one machine.

Here's a haiku for you. I don't consider myself a poet but I don't think I have time to draw anything I'd be happy with:

green furry furious

turtle shells litter the landscape

hare finished first

Last edited by Mosquito; May 13, 2018 at 12:50 PM.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

May 13, 2018, 07:27 AM
I have uploaded a level made for this occasion. I hope to also release the utility used to create it shortly, once it offers more options and a more user-friendly experience.

I have many fond memories of JJ2. I was thinking of describing all of them that would come to mind but no one wants to read that. Jazz, or I guess more precisely Spaz, has been my companion for something like 18 years and there would be a lot to write.

I decided to pick one from 2011. Back then I was still part of the first clan I ever joined, named \NF/, for Nameless Frontline. It was a capable clan with some skilled players, but more importantly it consisted of many people who had shown me kindness in my first days in the community.

TreyLina had just recently left CDF and told me about an idea for a clan of her own she had had in mind for a while, named CoTD - Commanders of Tactical Destruction. This was near the beginnings of our relationship and the idea of being in a clan together with my girlfriend appealed to me. I said my goodbyes to NF and we registered the new clan on jjnet. We gained some more members who were mostly Trey's JJ2 friends, although not competitive players. We might've played some ladder matches. I was happy to be in the clan.

I don't remember which side came out with the proposition, but negotiations began to merge CoTD with NF. I thought the idea was neat. I could be in a clan with my girlfriend and my friends. I was all for it. The fusion happened and resulted in TFC - Tactical Frontline Commanders.

This clan existed for just shy of 24 hours and played a total of 2 ladder matches. The day after the fusion, it turned out that one of the members of NF was unhappy with the name change. That was all it took to undo the merge. There was an unforeseen consequence to it: to handle the merge on the site, Nerd, a leader of NF and a jjnet admin, only archived NF, but deleted CoTD, which had so little history it didn't seem worth preserving to him. When TFC fell apart, it was only possible to restore NF, and CoTD would have to be started anew. When I said CoTD "might've" played some ladder matches, that's because I can't actually check - the match history of the clan, if any, was permanently lost. Trey was frustrated; for good reason, although perhaps disproportionately to the situation. She didn't want to restart the clan.

We started having relationship trouble around the same time. We weren't doing much together as a couple and the breakup of the clan didn't help. There were deeper underlying issues, but to me at the time it seemed like a lot of it happened because of JJ2 clans. I told Nerd about it some time later. He was sorry. He said he didn't realize that his actions, simply meant to keep a good JJ2 clan, could have negative impact on my relationship. They probably really didn't, or shouldn't have, but I think that's something a friend should say. I felt like we bonded that day.

CoTD was eventually revived at some point for a brief period of several months. It had a team battle victory rate of 100%. Trey disbanded the clan when most of the members, herself included, left to join aEs. I wasn't interested and I believe I subsequently joined -t3>, the last clan I've ever been in.

It was only much later that Trey and I actually solved most of our relationship issues. I like to think that we are the JJ2 couple; together for years and still active in the community. We get to meet regularly now and I wholeheartedly love her. So despite some negative events surrounding it, I still cherish the memory of the one time we were in a clan together.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
HisButtjesty

JCF Member

HisButtjesty has disabled reputation

May 13, 2018, 07:39 AM
I'm so glad to see Jazz is still around, getting hype for his birthday and love from his creators and fans! I grew up with Jazz Jackrabbit, playing the shareware demo (over and over and over) which I found on a random cd when I was young. I never saw the full game for sale, or I would have begged my parents for it. However when Jazz Jackrabbit 2 came out, I remember it was one of the first things I ever ordered online. My best friend and I both owned it, and every time we visited each other, we'd play Jazz Jackrabbit 2 for hours and hours, him as Jazz and me as Spaz. I've got such good memories of this series! I always hoped for a Jazz Jackrabbit 3, and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!
As an avid coder and having designed/developed a few (very simple) games as a hobby in my free-time, I have utmost respect for the team behind Jazz Jackrabbit, and I would be so honored if I win the one of the cd's signed by Arjan Brussee.

By the way, I'm seriously (SERIOUSLY) not a good artist, but you said you wanted our fan-art so I thought I'd give it a shot... Here's my rendition of Jazz with his back to the wall, sorry it's not great! Hope you get a kick out of it!

Last edited by HisButtjesty; May 13, 2018 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added my art

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

May 13, 2018, 08:55 AM
Late to the party but here we go..

It's hard to think of a single good memory, so I'll make a timelime-esque post;

In my youngest days (early 2000's, I think), I used to play splitscreen against my brother. We had a blast playing race and I was terrible at battle/CTF, with the standard "stand and shoot and hope he's stupid enough to fall into my trap" strategy. We find our old copy of JJ2 many years later during 2009, and I kick his ass in treasure and he never plays again. He thinks I'm a legendary player now, but I tell him that's just because he hasn't watched better ones.

Then I played online for the first time, stomping randomers in public servers. I got recruited to CDF by Kev, the first clan I was in. I started off playing as Jazz and would be like "Am I the only one who plays him?". Jokes on me, because then that gets affirmed even more to Switching to Lori.

I discovered TSF very late when I wondered why someone had a glitchy sprite, and was apparently a character called Lori. People would say she sucks and is "not worth it" but that only made me more curious in obtaining TSF. Cue the "lol lori" comments when I started playing her.

It was satisfying finally getting the respect, so I'd say it was worth the effort despite handicapping myself.

I eventually got into a relationship with Laro (it just happened), the CDF clan leader. He comes over to meet me once soon then.

I had some good memories with clan-exclusive gatherings containing lots of members around, silly meetings/mess-abouts with many who have long moved-on now. In fact I made a nostalgic screenshot thread including some of those. Sadly most of mine have died on there because of postimg dying out, but they still remain on my desktop HDD.

Eventually, Laro loses interest in me, and we sort of part ways. We didn't end on bad terms though.

Skip foward past Sir Ementalers story, and I got into levelmaking more, finally completing a new level since 3 years of struggling to complete anything. Now I have become a somewhat prolific JCSer, too.

JJ2 has indirectly taught me a whole lot about level and game design, along with critique (better than school ever did haha), which I got to give props for.

Past that, and I was responsible for setting up many contests and events, like the Precious Booty Treasure contest, 3 Unniversary Bashes, Ground Force Get together and some lesser significant ones. My favourite memory from them was near the end of Unniversary Bash 2, where I put on single player mode and we all blasted with a firework of bullet spam. It really went out with a bang!

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

May 13, 2018, 09:50 AM
Hard to pick just one...

It all started in 2003. I was almost 4 years old when I played the "green and red bunnies game" for the very first time. I liked it the moment I started playing it. The cartoony graphics and catchy music were very appealing for me as a little kid.

You could say that JJ2 was actually kind of popular at the time. Every kid I knew had it on their PC at home. In preschool it was one of the things ma gang and I would usualy talk about.

Believe it or not, everyone, including me, thought that the game was hard. Most of us couldn't even beat the Carrotus levels, though we all passed the Shareware Demo episode. I remember struggling with the Schawrtzengard (or whatever the guy's name is).

But later I started playing with my sister on splitscreen mode. It was really fun and I don't think any game can make me feel as excited as I was back then. Together we got to the rest of the game, with our powers combined we were able to beat them all!

I remember when we got to Medivo level two, where we lost a lot of lives trying to beat the boss. We encountered the bug where the boss would respawn along with you at the checkpoint upon dying! But insteas of trying to kill him there, we were running away from him, rushing through the zig-zag passages of Hare Scare. We eventualy got to the boss arena, with him following us along the way, and finished him off! To this day, the Medivo music is my favourite one in the game.

I remember us having lots of fun in Jungle level two, playing around with the rolling rocks and swinging vines.
The flesh trees in Inferno were the coolest things we've seen throughout the entire game, along with the gargoyles in Medivo and the background in Damn. We had no trouble playing the Hell levels, until we made it to the good ol' Devil Devan boss. We just knew that it had to be the final one. We were running out of lives and weren't killing him any faster. We each had one life left when we thought we killed him, but then we were shocked: Devan turned into Devil Devan, and killed me! My sister had to fight on her own! We were lucky enough that the boss glitched out and was throwing fireballs only at my bunny's corpse, so my sister eventualy killed him. We were sooooooo happy!! I was later the hotshot in preschool because I was the very first kid there that finished the game!

Later I was able to pass it by myself without losing any lives, and who knows how many times I actually did it.

Many many years later, in 2013, I was playing JJ2 again and found out it had online multiplayer! I was bored of some other multiplayer games I was playing at the time and decided to give JJ2 a shot! I instantly fell in love as it had something that other communities don't: a generally friendly playerbase. I quickly made some friends and joined the clan eko>, where many of my friends were. Had a blast playing mostly test levels with them.

Later, sadly, most of them left the game, including the clan's leader, so I left the clan and was looking for a new one. Given that most of the clans were CTF clans, I started playing CTF too. In 2014 I joined Pre>, later moved to CDF, where I played a couple of fun ladders. I noticed how the competetive scene was dying, so in 2015 I left CDF to start my own clan, -fB>. I quickly recruited a couple of members, most notably CS who wasn't the favorite person in the community because of his short temper. He had a fight with someone in CDF, so he left them and joined my team. We played a couple of ladder matches and even had one victory, but... Most of them didn't end well. CS decided he was sick of losing and left. All my hopes for making a new great clan were shattered when my PC died... I wasn't able to play JJ2 for a year and a half.

I came back wholesale in October 2016. I joined the revived clan GpW, letting go of all of my dreams of leading a new big clan, but I don't regret it. I'm still in GpW and I think I had a small role in keeping the clan alive. I love playing with everyone in GpW. I truly think that a clan needs a group of players who like eachother to be a good clan, rather than a group of pro players who barely even play together.

I had fun making levels too! Not planning to stop anytime soon!

There you have it. I don't want any of the prizes here as I think there are much older and more hardcore Jazz fans than I am.

JCF Member

May 13, 2018, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
It was only much later that Trey and I actually solved most of our relationship issues. I like to think that we are the JJ2 couple; together for years and still active in the community. We get to meet regularly now and I wholeheartedly love her. So despite some negative events surrounding it, I still cherish the memory of the one time we were in a clan together.
That's so sweet ;-;
I admire, envy and hope the best for you two, all at the same time. Best wishes and good luck in the future, never change <3

listerofsmeg42

JCF Member

listerofsmeg42 has disabled reputation

May 13, 2018, 12:16 PM
Jazz Jackrabbit 1+2 holds a special place in my heart, it was my Mario, Sonic. Boy I miss that soundtrack to lol. My best memories of Jazz Jackrabbit are from my childhood and my grandfather. My grandfather worked for IBM back then and he used to get games through shareware like Crystal Caves(another favorite). We would take turns playing the games(neither of us was very good at it but we had so much fun) and my grandmother would get upset when dinner was ready and we were still playing it. This was the early days of me gaming and solidified my love of video games. Coming back to Jazz Jackrabbit all these years later brings back found memories spent with my grandfather and of the good times we had, and softens the blow of him passing a few years ago. Heres to my grandfather, Bumpa. Miss you eternally!

O'de To Jazzitude
Jazz the Jackrabbit with 'Tude
A Hare without any care
Just shoot the baddies to win the race
Ain't no need for no tortoise in a half-shell
All he needs is a Little Eva
Carrots anyone?
Ey' whats up Doc?