Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » JJ2+ Issue Tracker

Bug Report Campaign bugs

Sjoerd97

JCF Member

Sjoerd97 has disabled reputation

May 14, 2020, 11:27 AM
Post Campaign bugs

I recently installed JJ2+ (from GOG) and I would like to report some issue’s in the gameplay of the campaign in this short message. As far as bugs there are only a few. First I would like to mention that the new features JJ2+ brought to the campaign fits very well in the game. Turbo mode is a fun challange, which I thought the game really needed. The other features JJ2+ added are small improvements, but not that noticable and it did not have to (The game (campaign) already was more or less ‘whole’).

Menu mispells
Aside from the campaign, there are some spelling issue’s in the menu’s. Some words are holding numbers instead of characters. ‘Arabi’ in the language setting is spelled as ‘3rabi’, but I don't know if that is how it is supposed to be spelled. Also in the In-game menu (Dutch language) the option ‘Nieuw spel’ is spelled as ‘2Nieuw spel’(once selected). I don’t know which other words are holding numbers instead of characters, but right now these are the only ones I noticed. I've added a picture of this.

Background bug
Furthermore there is this background ‘bug’ in the ‘Wonderland’ theme levels of the game (only the ‘night time’ ones). There is this spherical hole in the middle of the sky (like a black hole) and the clouds are remain outside of it around the edges. I don’t know if this is intentional, but it looked like a bug to me. This goes for the levels: Funky Grooveathon (from Jazz in Time) and Retro Rabbit (from Shareware Demo). I haven't seen these backgrounds before, but the level 'funky chicken' from a hom 70's Grove (from Home Cooked Levels) still has the old background that all these theme levels used to have (see the comparison in both pictures I have added).

Medieval Kineval bug
In this level the player is able to find a hidden area where the player warps in a secret level. Once completing this level the player warps back to the same location where the player entered the first warp, which sometimes results that the player is instandly warped to the secret level again. In the old version without JJ2+ this used to be a loop, where the player can't progress, because he/she is stuck in that loop, playing the secret level over and over again. Right now I am not sure it is fully fixed. I did respawn in that level for 3 times, but the third time the loop was closed and I was not able to enter the secret level again.
One more thing to note is that after the player completed the secret level, the player no longer has the coins that he/she picked up during the first time of the Medieval Kineval level (the coins that where picked up also don't respawn). Therefore the player has no longer access to the bonus warp.
The last thing about this level is that there are these unfinished area's where the player can't go to. You have this open box, just under the floor of the exit area. This area probably used to represent the area where the player used to spawn after he/she finished the secret level (but I can't be sure). There are also several area's one the right side of the map (near the warp place the player has to find if he/she does not have the money for the bonus warp). These area's contain a few objects: 3 cakes, 3 fire weapon ammo and one 1up (you can see that in one of the pictures I've added). Probably these area's are only accessible through warps, but they just aren't there.

Wall bug
There is a chance where the player gets stuck inside a wall, often in a narrow area with a lot of sloping blocks. This also happen occesionally if the player stomping near the ceiling. If this happens the player can get stuck and has to load a different saved game or cheat to progress. I don't know if this is possible to fix, but it is still pretty annoying when it happens.

Suburbia bug
The last one I have is the Suburbia Commando (from The Secret Files) bug that needs to be fixed. Right at the beginning of this level there is this secret hidden pipe (you have to shoot a block in order to enter) that would take the player up where the player can gain a few red diamonds and is able to get tot he golden coin that is worth for five (location is in the picture). This was the case, but now the player gets transported to the far right side outside of the map, stuck and unable to progress.

These where all the things that I came across, so I thought to make a post of it. I probably should have make different threads about it, but I thought that this gives an overall view. There might be more bugs, but this is all that I came across. Sorry if I was unclear in my english, I am dutch and I do have dyslexia. Anyway I hope that it was helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2Nieuw spel.jpg (144.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Medieval.jpg (137.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg New Background.jpg (244.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Old background.jpg (193.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Suburbia bug.jpg (165.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wall bug.jpg (306.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Sjoerd97; May 14, 2020 at 05:02 PM.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

May 14, 2020, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd97 View Post
‘Arabi’ in the language setting is spelled as ‘3rabi’.
To the best of my knowledge, "3rabi" is the correct and intended Franco-Arabic spelling. It was consulted with Egyptian players.

Quote:
the option ‘Nieuw spel’ is spelled as ‘2Nieuw spel’(once selected).
Thanks, this might be worth looking into, but I recall the Dutch language file specifically doing some weird things so it remains to be seen if it can be correctly supported.

Quote:
There is this spherical hole in the middle of the sky (like a black hole) and the clouds are remain outside of it around the edges. I don’t know intentional, but it looked like a bug to me. This goes for the levels: Funky Grooveathon (from Jazz in Time) and Retro Rabbit (from Shareware Demo).
This is intended. Those levels have always had their backgrounds set up to use a different texture mode but such a mode was either removed before the game's release or never implemented. I don't think there's any evidence as to what the mode was originally supposed to look like, however.

Quote:
Medieval Kineval bug
In this level the player is able to find a hidden area where the player warps in a secret level. Once completing this level the player warps back to the same location where the player entered the first warp, which sometimes results that the player is instandly warped to the secret level again. In the old version without JJ2+ this used to be a loop, where the player can't progress, because he/she is stuck in that loop, playing the secret level over and over again. Right now I am not sure it is fully fixed. I did respawn in that level for 3 times, but the third time the loop was closed and I was not able to enter the secret level again.
Thanks, this is a known issue but it's useful to bring attention to it and I'd like it fixed. Whereas JJ2 doesn't disable the secret exit at all, JJ2+ disables it but only on the one specific tile that the player touched. Unfortunately Medieval Kineval has a whole column of secret exit tiles so you can enter the secret level multiple (but a limited number of) times.

Quote:
One more thing to note is that after the player completed the secret level, the player no longer has the coins that he/she picked up during the first time of the Medieval Kineval level (the coins that where picked up also don't respawn). Therefore the player has no longer access to the bonus warp.
This is the original behavior but it might be worth changing. Arguably leans towards a feature request more so than a bug report, though.

Quote:
The last thing about this level is that there are these unfinished area's where the player can't go to. You have this open box, just under the floor of the exit area. This area probably used to represent the area where the player used to spawn after he/she finished the secret level (but I can't be sure). There are also several area's one the right side of the map (near the warp place the player has to find if he/she does not have the money for the bonus warp). These area's contain a few objects: 3 cakes, 3 fire weapon ammo and one 1up. Probably these area's are only accessible through warps, but they just aren't there.
JJ2+ does not modify level design so this is outside the scope of the patch. Should they want to, our users can make such changes themselves using the level editor provided with the game.

Quote:
The last one I have is the Suburbia Commando (from The Secret Files) bug that needs to be fixed. Right at the beginning of this level there is this secret hidden pipe (you have to shoot a block in order to enter) that would take the player up where the player can gain a few red diamonds and is able to get tot he golden coin that is worth for five. This was the case, but now the player gets transported to the far right side outside of the map, stuck and unable to progress.
Thanks, this is a known issue and extremely unfortunate because there are very many custom levels that rely on this behavior. It happens because Suburbia Commando is possibly the only known level that uses a certain parameter that JJ2+ dev team at the time assumed unused. It's important to fix but requires a careful approach.

Quote:
There is a chance where the player gets stuck inside a wall, often in a narrow area with a lot of sloping blocks. This also happen occesionally if the player stomping near the ceiling. If this happens the player can get stuck and has to load a different saved game or cheat to progress. I don't know if this is possible to fix, but it is still pretty annoying when it happens.
This should be extremely rare in JJ2+ unless Quirks Mode is enabled (which, among other things, restores how easy it was to get stuck in the original game, because hundreds of custom levels rely on this behavior). Where it's still possible, it's often the fault of the level design. Obviously it would be nice if the patch prevented any way of getting stuck, but likely close to impossible.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

May 14, 2020, 04:07 PM
I'm going to leave this thread open for a few days in case there's any discussion that needs to happen, but I intend to close it eventually because it discusses multiple issues; see rule "Each issue is a separate thread". Feel free to start new threads for the individual parts of it that still seem like valid issues after my previous response. Their content can be safely copied and pasted from this thread.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
Sjoerd97

JCF Member

Sjoerd97 has disabled reputation

May 14, 2020, 05:09 PM
I updated this thread and I have got some pictures to back it up. I hope that I was helpful. Some things I mentioned may sound as nitpicks, but that is because I really do enjoy the game and bought it on GOG and I do appriciate that this game still got updates long after its release.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 15, 2020, 10:19 AM
Quote:
the option ‘Nieuw spel’ is spelled as ‘2Nieuw spel’(once selected).
Thanks, this might be worth looking into, but I recall the Dutch language file specifically doing some weird things so it remains to be seen if it can be correctly supported.
This was already fixed internally and the fix will be made available in the next JJ2+ release.