Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Looking for a levelbuilding partner

JCF Member

Puffie40 is doing well so far

Nov 18, 2009, 10:16 AM
Looking for a levelbuilding partner

Guys, I am getting frustrated with not doing any work on my levelset. I have ideas flowing around in my head, but any layouts I try suck.

What might help me is if I have someone to share ideas with and build levels.

The levelset focuses on a space station, and out of the planned levels (17 so far) 3 are largely finished, and two of the custom tilesets are 75% finished.

Interested? Send me a PM with your Email and I'll send you the first level.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Nov 18, 2009, 12:50 PM
Well, I'm not exactly interested in helping build levels as I don't have time for that anymore. However, I would love to beta test when you are finished.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Nov 18, 2009, 01:43 PM
I think that it would be a good idea to first decrease the size of your project. Retool your story to work with the levels you have made, and the levels you know you can finish. Add cutscenes if necessary. Split it into episodes if you can. There is a reason why very few large projects ever get released, and it's the exact thing you are running into right now.

Maybe you'll find someone to collaborate with, but group projects don't usually turn out well unless someone is taking a strong lead. You should work with what you have instead.

The secret to releasing a good single player episode is to be able to be content in releasing something that falls short of your original big ideas. It is necessary to compromise and retool things so that managing the project becomes realistic. This is how things get released. Either that, or just start off with small plans in the first place. There's nothing wrong with doing this: my first four single player episodes were all released as smaller than I originally planned them to be (in fact, the first two are almost entirely made up of recycled material with a story tacked on). The fifth one is a bit of an exception since it's huge and actually bigger than I originally planned for it to be, but I have no idea how I did that. In any case, as long as you don't go the tomb rabbit 2 route (where everything is disconnected) it's fine.