Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Looking for 2-3 players deathmatch map + advice regarding multiplayer

JCF Member

MartiusR has disabled reputation

May 1, 2020, 05:32 PM
Looking for 2-3 players deathmatch map + advice regarding multiplayer

Hi everybody!

I was recently playing a bit with my siblings in Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (to be more specific - in JJ2+ version from GOG). And I must admit, that those default maps are quite big (especially battle3), while we're usually playing in 2 or 3 persons, therefore we could use some smaller maps. I've taken a look on downloads section, but it's huge and descriptions quite often not containing info I'm looking for (especially about optimal amount of players).

I would be veeery grateful if someone could recommend me maps for battle, which are:

-suitable for 2-4 players
-don't have too complicated design
-(if possible) are allowing to use plenty of weapons/upgrades

Last one is not "mandatory", but would be very appreciated - we had many situations when everyone was using seeker because it was the only weapon which had easy to find upgrade (and dealing 2 points of damage instead of 1).

Additional question - by some reason I've got constantly issue with other players flickering/disappearing/slowed animation characters. The weird thing is, that even when I've played with my sister not on internet, but on LAN, the problem still occured. I don't think it's because my internet/network connection speed, but I don't have a clue what other reason could cause it.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

May 1, 2020, 08:00 PM
Hi. Your network issue sounds unusual. All I can say in that regard is to make sure you and your siblings are indeed running JJ2+. It is not the default download on GOG (even worse, the default download is incompatible with JJ2+) and we've had many instances of people thinking they're using JJ2+ while they weren't. One of the easiest ways to recognize JJ2+ is that the logo in all menus will contain a plus sign. This post contains brief information on how to get JJ2+ to work with GOG.

Screenshot for the sake of illustrating the JJ2+ version of the logo.

I've compiled a decently sized list of some solid and relatively small battle levels. These are the vanilla ones:
Abandoned Robotics Factory and EvilMike's Evil Fortress
Condemned
Eye of the Storm and Moonlit Harbor
Firebreather
First Strike and Quick Death Valley
Frontline
Maelstrom
Peculiar Purple Peak
Sovun Valtakunta
Starlit Basin
Trembling Tundra

The ones below this line require JJ2+ to work correctly. They might have some features you haven't encountered before. Additionally, some are scripted, which requires the host to be running in Plus Only and Latest Version Only modes. You may enable them by typing "/plusonly on" and "/latestversiononly on" into chat as the host.
The Abyss
Anarchy and Sand Dune Heights
Chasing the Stars
Decimation
Dilapidation
Enter the Chaos
LFGPU-3000
Robust Ruins
Rúnheimr
Sea of Clouds
Solstice
Triton Armory
Twin Stalactites
Umbral Thicket
Waterworks
Wilderness

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

MartiusR has disabled reputation

May 2, 2020, 02:41 AM
Hi Seren, thank you a lot for generous list, already tested some levels and they're exactly what I was looking for - many thanks!

Regarding my version - I know that "standard" installer contains vanilla JJ2: Secret Files, but we're using for 100% JJ2+ version, which is present in "extras" in GOG's download. My brother, when he was playing alone, was initially using the "vanilla" version, but I told him to download "plus" version from extras. Up from this moment all of us are playing in the same version.

It even has in the corner (in main menu) info about version (quoting: "JJ2+ Beta v5.6 (2018-02-26)). Is it possible that this particular version can have some issues, or it's rather unlikely?

https://i.imgur.com/Z3r7J6z.png

Last edited by MartiusR; May 2, 2020 at 02:57 AM.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

May 2, 2020, 07:56 AM
I see. I don't know of any issues that would explain the problems you're reporting and it seems unlikely that JJ2+ 5.6 would be behind them. JJ2 suffers from network lag more than other games because of how fast characters move in comparison to their size, weak player movement prediction, and its netcode being designed around slow connections of the '90s, but if it raised your concerns, it's probably more than typical. If you can capture a video recording of this behavior, it might give us some more insight, but regardless I don't think I'll be able to help you.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.