Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2 Tileset Sources

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 21, 2009, 01:36 PM
JJ2 Tileset Sources

So where do all the JJ2 tilesets come from? The following seem pretty unambiguous:
Carrotus: Lion King, Hakuna Matata
Labrat: Earthworm Jim, New Junk City
Damn: Lion King, Pride Rock

Inferno appears to come from Earthworm Jim, What The Heck, at least the floor and background, but the soil is quite different so there may be some better or second source I'm not remembering. I assume Diamondus, Tubelectric, and Medivo are "originals." This leaves Castle, Jungle, and all of Jazz in Time. Does anyone recognize these from anywhere else?
(I don't remember any claims that JJ1 planets come from anywhere else, minus the groundless accusation that every JJ1 set is "traced" from Sonic. You could maybe say that Sluggion resembles Emerald Hill, but after that you're on shaky ground at best.)

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 21, 2009, 01:52 PM
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS

Lion King/Carrotus/Hakuna Matata

Lion King/Pride Rock/Damn

Earthworm Jim/New Junk City/Labrat

Earthworm Jim/What The Heck/Inferno

Last edited by Stijn; Mar 19, 2016 at 03:13 AM.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

May 21, 2009, 02:59 PM
Psych is definetely from Alice in Wonderland - the Cheshire cats and the mad hatter are a dead giveaway.
Colon is I think from The Wind in the Willows - there's the toad disguised as a washerwoman.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 21, 2009, 03:20 PM
Yes, but those are merely inspired by those; I think Violet means tilesets whose style was obviously copied from existing graphics (as seen in the screenshots in my previous post).

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

May 21, 2009, 03:41 PM
More was stolen from earthworm jim than just those two tilesets. The graphic for the electroblaster ammo was also stolen from that game. Or maybe it was earthworm jim 2.

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

May 21, 2009, 04:03 PM
Haven't you combined Jazz1's Diamondus with a Sonic tileset quite succesfully Violet? Is that a coincidence?

JCF Éminence Grise

May 21, 2009, 04:49 PM
?
If you're asking if it's a coincidence that I could do that, then yes, basically. The grass is from Diamondus, but as has been pointed out, it doesn't look much like the actual Green Hill Zone grass. Looks more like Emerald Hill Zone, although the Diamondus grass went through at least one complete revision during development and there are only so many abstract ways of drawing grass. The soil is from Deckstar, recolored, and the plants are from Sluggion and Jungrock, so I wouldn't say there's any resemblance. The only real connection is that both Sonic and JJ1 start with a grass tileset, but practically every platformer does.

JCF Member

Ðx is doing well so far

May 22, 2009, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post

somebody should be making a tileset from the first picture Wiew.

JCF Member

DodgeS is a sad, sad person

May 22, 2009, 03:37 AM
We have better quality in jj2-tilesets than those ones, but the main idea is just stolen

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

May 22, 2009, 06:48 AM
Quote:

This wasn't done with JSD, right?

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

May 22, 2009, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
This wasn't done with JSD, right?
No, he's merely referring to games from which JJ2 'borrowed' graphics.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

May 23, 2009, 09:00 AM
DUH. You really believe that? ;p

But seriously, the JJ2 tilesets are almost identical to what I see on these screenshots. If you compare a JJ2 screenshot with one of these, it would be hard to tell which of the screenshots came from JJ2 if both don't include sprites.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Jul 1, 2009, 07:26 AM

The sewers in Colon heavily resemble those found in the Mega Drive game Comix Zone.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 1, 2009, 12:02 PM
Yes! Thank you! I'd seen that before and could not remember it at all.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jul 2, 2009, 02:54 AM
So all the tiles that were reused in JJGBA were actually copied from other games... Oh the irony.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Mar 3, 2016, 07:45 AM
I found a new one ... Beach tileset (Pirates Age) contains bits from Earthworm Jim's Big Bruty.

And nobody mentioned the piano highway in Psych (Hippie Age), ripped from Rayman's Band Land.

But don't worry. I'm working on a new pair of tilesets that aren't ripped from other games.

Here's a sample of some new and original tileset remakes I'm working on. I've also drawn new ammo and powerups, because some ammo are ripped from Earthworm Jim and the Powerup monitors are ripped from Sonic The Hedgehog. The following sample tiles represent Castle, Damn, Carrotus, Jungle and Colonius.

I've also made new samples of JJ1 remakes, just in case the original JJ1 ones were as well not so "original". They represent Turtemple, Sluggion, Fanolint, Jungrock, Technoir and Muckamok.

I'm still working on them. They will look better when they're done.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Mar 3, 2016, 10:06 AM
Looks like very professional concept art, like the ones you see on whiteboards at game developers.

Maybe Colonius is a bit too industrial/modern age with those brickstones? It reminds me of Industrius from JJ1. Fanolint looks like it's built from actual greenhouse equipment, unlike the orinal set which is made from orange blocks somehow.

Turning these into sets would be a ton of work though, but I like these artsies, hehe.

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 3, 2016, 05:21 PM
I'm not convinced about Beach--they're just wooden beams--but that keyboard hill picture looks very similar. Nice find.

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Mar 4, 2016, 09:49 AM
I find it very interesting that these tilesets are based on tilesets from other games.

But one thing I'm wondering about though is if most of the tilesets are references to other media.

I mean I know psych is based on Alice in Wonderland, it's obvious, everything about the tileset is very much like Alice in Wonderland. But what about everything else?

Also, regarding those images, yeah I can see they are like these tilesets from other games, but I can also see it's only loosley based on these, and are for the most part very original. I think the most original one is the Carrotus one. I can't think of any game that has tileset like that.

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 4, 2016, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
I think the most original one is the Carrotus one. I can't think of any game that has tileset like that.
well, I mean,

Lion King

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Mar 4, 2016, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
well, I mean,

Lion King

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Mar 4, 2016, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
well, I mean,

Lion King
But that game's tileset isn't mainly focused on carrots like the carrotus tileset, that's what I'm talking about.

JCF Member

Mar 5, 2016, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
But that game's tileset isn't mainly focused on carrots like the carrotus tileset, that's what I'm talking about.
Well yes, but it's the ground tiles and green foliage that express the similarities way more than the carrots.

Oh, and I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I think Colonius strikes some similarities to Pinokio's town graphics from the SNES:

JCF Member

Mar 5, 2016, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Oh, and I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but I think Colonius strikes some similarities to Pinokio's town graphics from the SNES:

Oh, my! My childhood is being torn away bit to bit ...

Further clarifications on Labrat and Inferno:
Labrat has the walls and colors of Earthworm Jim's New Junk City, AND the floor of Earhtworm Jim's For Pete's Sake.
Inferno does not only have EJ's What The Heck floor, but also EJ's New Junk City SPIKES.

Furthermore, JJ2's jungle climber resembles Rayman's jungle climber.

Same for the fruit platform.

And looks like MEZ followed Nick's footprints in MEZ03...

I also noticed a slight resemblance between 7th Lava Fall and some levels of Alien Carnage.

And a slight resemblance between JJ2's jungle trees and the Jungle Book ones.

And someone on DeviantART thinks Damn's layer 8 picture is actully one of DOOM's bad guys. I'm not sure about that, because I never played DOOM.

Last edited by DennisKainz; Mar 5, 2016 at 08:44 AM.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Mar 6, 2016, 05:36 PM
Am I the only one who finds the resemblances to these tilesets of other games minor at best?

I mean to me at least only the basics of these other tilesets are used in the JJ2 tilesets.

Administrator

Mar 6, 2016, 08:25 PM
You may not be the only one, but I think it's a bit strange to say the resemblance is minor. The basic platforms are copied almost one-on-one in some cases, like Carrotus.
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Mar 8, 2016, 10:04 AM
Quote:

Indeed

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Mar 9, 2016, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisKainz View Post
I also noticed a slight resemblance between 7th Lava Fall and some levels of Alien Carnage.

7th Lava Fall's background is actually ripped straight from DM-Crane from Unreal Tournament. The others I agree with though - in fact it seems not only the trees but also the foliage surrounding the trees and the distant bushes bare a notable resemblance to Jungle's background.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snzspeed View Post
The mystery of the lighter bricks has finally been solved!

JCF Member

Mar 9, 2016, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJazz View Post
The mystery of the lighter bricks has finally been solved!
There are actually more similarities that makes things even more clear. Those arch doors and wooden windows are in Pinokio too, as well as similar street lanterns as foreground. And yes I still have my SNES (including this game) connected to this day (these shots are just googled though).

Last edited by Slaz; Mar 9, 2016 at 03:17 PM.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Mar 9, 2016, 03:29 PM
jesus h christ

Administrator

Mar 9, 2016, 03:35 PM
well well well

That leaves Castle, Holiday Hare, Haunted House and Town House?

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Mar 9, 2016, 04:33 PM
At this point in my life I don't know if "piano keys laid over a hill" is a common motif in fiction, or if I think that way because I've been seeing it in Psych for 16 years

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 9, 2016, 08:41 PM
Quote:
well well well

That leaves Castle, Holiday Hare, Haunted House and Town House?
The latter three were drawn by Dean, I thought? Anyway Castle, sure, and I would say Beach. Although really, the others do vary wildly in blatancy... Carrotus or Colonius may be near-copies, but Jungle and Psych are showing only pieces here or there.

Didn't see a picture of this one above, but the Inferno bones look like more Lion King material:

Last edited by Violet CLM; Mar 9, 2016 at 09:12 PM.

JCF Member

Mar 10, 2016, 07:36 AM
Jazz Jackrabbit is the right character in the wrong hands.

Jazz 1 is mostly a copy of Sonic, from which the nickname/custom episode "Sonic with a Gun". It also contains hidden obscenities. And it's for MS-DOS, the Internet Explorer of gaming platforms.
Jazz 2 is a copypasta of other games, and only has 12 worlds (16 with expansion packs), while JJ1 had 18 (30 with expansion packs). It has room for 4 background layers, but some are missing, and some are repetitive.
Jazz 3 wasn't even released. I've been hoping for a Jazz 3 game since I was 10.
15 years of my life!

As a character, I always preferred Jazz over Mario and Sonic. Those ones, tbh, seem drawn by a 3 years old, while Jazz Jackrabbit, and Earthworm Jim as well, are true artistic masterpieces.

Back to the topic ...
As for the castle and haunted house tilesets, some bits might have been ripped from Maui Mallard.

Colonius also contains bits from Mickey's Wild Adventure.

And the skeletons that lose bones are a ripoff of the Mad Doctor ones in Mickey's Wild Adventure. You shoot them 3 times, they scatter bones around.

Some of these tiles may or may not have been used in Castle, Labrat, Medivo and Haunted House.

I also found a minor resemblance between JJ2 tilesets and Little Ralph ones, like this one:

wai u do dis epic gaemz

Last edited by DennisKainz; Mar 12, 2016 at 03:00 PM.
Another Jazz 2 fan

JCF Member

Another Jazz 2 fan has disabled reputation

Mar 13, 2016, 09:12 PM
How did I never know about this? Where did this discovery originate? (The first post here assumes it's common knowledge, but this is news to me.) Jazz does seem to reference a lot of other games intentionally, I wonder how much of this is intended as homage (benefit of the doubt), or whether there is actual plagiarism in some of the tiles and sprites. The lion king stuff, especially, looks too eerily similar - if you put a Jazz sprite in there I wouldn't realize it was a different game! It's kind of crazy how little actually seems to be original... Is there a news story about all this?

~AJ2f

Proud to be an old-timer! Rarely active, but Jazz Jackrabbit will always be in my heart.

Check out my War Tavern story, The Life of Jason Jackrabbit! [UPDATE - yeah, it died in 2002, but it was fun!]
Current Projects: Devan's Secret Weapon - yes, I still intend to release this some day. Got a lot of really great stuff done, it's going to be awesome!

JCF Member

Mar 13, 2016, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisKainz View Post
Jazz Jackrabbit is the right character in the wrong hands.

Jazz 1 is mostly a copy of Sonic, from which the nickname/custom episode "Sonic with a Gun". It also contains hidden obscenities. And it's for MS-DOS, the Internet Explorer of gaming platforms.
Jazz 2 is a copypasta of other games, and only has 12 worlds (16 with expansion packs), while JJ1 had 18 (30 with expansion packs). It has room for 4 background layers, but some are missing, and some are repetitive.
Jazz 3 wasn't even released. I've been hoping for a Jazz 3 game since I was 10.
15 years of my life!
That's just so sad to hear. My respect for Jazz and Jazz 2 slowly went down, even though I just love Jazz Jackrabbit, the character itself. Let's just hope that one day, someone will take this character and make a great original game out of it. Jazz had and still has so much potential, what a shame people forgot about it.
I don't really mind the obscenities, I find them rather funny than rude. It just shows the developers' mind back in the day. They were young after all!

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Mar 14, 2016, 01:55 AM
People seem devastated by this thread, whereas I just feel better-informed having read it. I always wondered how a single person could draw so many good tilesets in so little time and now that I have an answer, I feel better about my own pace of work.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Administrator

Mar 14, 2016, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
That's just so sad to hear. My respect for Jazz and Jazz 2 slowly went down, even though I just love Jazz Jackrabbit, the character itself. Let's just hope that one day, someone will take this character and make a great original game out of it. Jazz had and still has so much potential, what a shame people forgot about it.
I don't really mind the obscenities, I find them rather funny than rude. It just shows the developers' mind back in the day. They were young after all!
Don't listen to Gus. Jazz 1 is hardly a copy of Sonic; it shares gameplay concepts but the art is original and so are plenty of other things (like, Jazz having a gun). It's silly to read anything into the "Sonic with a Gun" title, as it belongs to a fan production that explicitly aims to recreate bits of the Sonic games (including copied graphics), something JJ1 didn't do.

The idea of MS-DOS being the "Internet Explorer" of gaming platforms is possibly even more ridiculous and just an example of Gus' personal crusade against the Jazz Jackrabbit games. Obviously the same goes for arguments such as "not all layers were used" or "there were less levels"; neither actually has any bearing on how enjoyable the game is. There's plenty to criticize in the Jazz Jackrabbit games, but these things are hardly relevant.

I also have a hard time seeing what was copied from Gus' screenshots. Sure, there are some thematic similarities, but there are only so many ways to depict a dungeon or stone wall.

JCF Member

Mar 14, 2016, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Don't listen to Gus. Jazz 1 is hardly a copy of Sonic; it shares gameplay concepts but the art is original and so are plenty of other things (like, Jazz having a gun). It's silly to read anything into the "Sonic with a Gun" title, as it belongs to a fan production that explicitly aims to recreate bits of the Sonic games (including copied graphics), something JJ1 didn't do.
I don't think Jazz 1 is a copy of Sonic either. I really enjoyed and still do enjoy playing Jazz 1 sometimes, especially custom levels. Jazz 2 however just feels like a ripoff. I can't say I did not enjoy Jazz 2, of course I did, and I still do. But it was just rushed, it could've been a way better game. It just feels incomplete, single player is storyless (unless you read the manual), the levels are repetitive when it comes to gameplay (except some levels, such as the water level), multiplayer is buggy and, uh, I don't really know, it just feels kind of weird to play it when you know how many stuff are inspired from other games or other things (tilesets, music, maybe even level design, who knows!). Also, the amount of content that was scrapped but not added in the final game is huge compared to other games. Sorry, feel free to argue with me but it's just my opinion.

Quote:
I also have a hard time seeing what was copied from Gus' screenshots. Sure, there are some thematic similarities, but there are only so many ways to depict a dungeon or stone wall.
Me neither. Probably they are just inspired of them or they aren't linked at all.

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 14, 2016, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primpy View Post
Also, the amount of content that was scrapped but not added in the final game is huge compared to other games.
I wonder...