Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Music Files for JJ2

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Jul 26, 2005, 07:54 AM
Music Files for JJ2

Can anyone tell me the possible music files compatible with JJ2 and the best (free) program to change <2Mb MP3's into any of those?

Thanks in advance,

CC
MaGoo

JCF Member

MaGoo is doing well so far

Jul 26, 2005, 11:00 AM
I think ModPlug Tracker can do that.

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Jul 26, 2005, 11:16 AM
Though, they must be Wavs to be loaded in ModPlug Tracker.

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Jul 26, 2005, 02:19 PM
But Wav files are SOOO dang large. I make MP3's in Fruity Loops 5 and I COULD save them as a wav file, but a 1.5mb MP3 would become a 15mb Wav! And I guess that's too large for JJ2 to handle.

I'd like to hear some stories about the people who use .s3m, .xm and .it files. They seem to have MP3 quality.
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

JelZe GoldRabbit is doing well so far

Jul 26, 2005, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimiClown
But Wav files are SOOO dang large. I make MP3's in Fruity Loops 5 and I COULD save them as a wav file, but a 1.5mb MP3 would become a 15mb Wav! And I guess that's too large for JJ2 to handle.

I'd like to hear some stories about the people who use .s3m, .xm and .it files. They seem to have MP3 quality.
Just a little advice: if you want to convert MP3's into modules, forget it.

Modules are closely related to midi's: they're both nothing more than sheets of music, which tells the computer which note to play with which instrument, the only difference Midi's have with modules is that modules have the instruments "built in" the file, while midi's must rely on wavetables that come with certain soundcards.

Wav's and MP3's are completely different: they're both recordings of the sound the music makes; they don't rely on instruments or anything like that, but on the general proporties of sound waves: frequency, wavelength and amplitude. That's why wav's and MP3's are so frickin' large: sound waves are very complex to computer standards.

Converting modules to MP3's is easy to do, but the other way around is very difficult and usually not worth the time spent on it: you'd have to find the instruments that make the sounds heard in the song, and have them play the right notes; you'd actually be recreating the music! You can imagine that's very tedious.

Take my advice: if you know how to write music, download a tracker program and stick with it. The most famous one is ModPlug Tracker, but it takes a while to get the hang of it.

On a side note, JJ2 accepts most module formats, the common ones being .mod, .xm, .it .s3m. Just make sure to keep the filesize under 1 Mb to save game memory.

- JelZe GoldRabbit =:3

JCF Member

Jul 27, 2005, 10:52 AM
Err... Ok... I've been wasting a month on 10 MP3 loops... Aw well, time to learn ModPlug!

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Jul 27, 2005, 10:58 AM
Well, as far as I know it IS technically possible to convert an MP3 into a module file.. I think you can make it a wav file first and then use it as an "instrument" in the module.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Jul 27, 2005, 11:04 AM
And the .wav file will be 100mb large.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 27, 2005, 11:06 AM
...but it's technically possible.

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

Jul 27, 2005, 11:11 AM
But with quality reductions and such, it can be toned down to a little 500 kb instrument. With a small lose of quality of course.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jul 27, 2005, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit
Just make sure to keep the filesize under 1 Mb to save game memory.
2 mb.

JCF Member

Jul 27, 2005, 12:04 PM
Maybe if someone wants to try, AND posseses a Gmail account, I could send one of my files. If it works, tell me and I'll do the rest by myself (If you name the program used and a link where to get it, ofcourse.)

I hope someone will... I made a perfect (!) looping MP3 for an ending level...

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jul 27, 2005, 12:09 PM
*sigh* let me try to explain Mods and Mp3s graphically.

This is a MOD file.

This is a MP3.

The MOD is broken into lots of little pieces (which can be reused in the file), meaning it takes up less space.

MODs are related to MIDIs. Howver, a MOD can have special customized pieces while a MIDI can only use some built-in ones.

MP3s can have more of a variety of sounds (like voices), but are just one big piece that takes up lots of space.

It is easy to turn a MOD file into one big piece like a MP3.

However, breaking a MP3 into little pieces like a MOD just doesn't work.

The best way is usually to simply rebuild the MP3 song as a MOD, piece by piece.

The end.

Last edited by Radium; Jul 27, 2005 at 12:20 PM.

JCF Member

Haze is doing well so far

Jul 28, 2005, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium
*sigh* let me try to explain Mods and Mp3s graphically. ...
Best. Explanation. Evar!

JCF Member

JelZe GoldRabbit is doing well so far

Jul 28, 2005, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooba
2 mb.
JJ2 can already get messed up from 1 MB Besides, we prefer them small because of size and bandwidth issues for the downloads.

Last edited by JelZe GoldRabbit; Jul 28, 2005 at 08:33 AM.

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Jul 28, 2005, 09:55 AM
And now I will tell my success story.

I CONVERTED THE MENTOS SONG (a .wav) INTO A .S3M. IT HAS BEAUTIFUL QUALITY. You can download it in the latest Foo Races pack on Foo Products. It's in the JJ2 Stuff section.

In short, that means that it is possible. The converted file isn't even that big. Just 469 kb, where the original was about 300 KB.

JCF Member

FoxBlitzz is doing well so far

Jul 28, 2005, 11:57 AM
Um... you converted it into a sample that runs at 8003 hz. That's terrible quality. That's worse than Gameboy Advance sound. And it's not even that long. You could have at least given it a better frequency. :P

And no, I am not Japanese.

[22:25] [AkuKitsune] monobot be useful
[22:25] [Monobot] Unable to comply.

Old Jul 28, 2005, 04:25 PM
ElectroPiZZa
This message has been deleted by ElectroPiZZa.

JCF Member

Jul 29, 2005, 10:08 AM
I bought obviously DOWNLOADED ModPlug and I'm still learning...

Is there any way to insert .mid files/convert .mid files to .mod/.it/anything?

JCF Member

aokmaniac13 is doing well so far

Jul 29, 2005, 10:43 AM
MID files are extremely easy to convert to mod. Just load it up in modplug and hit save as. It may or may not sound totally right however...

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 29, 2005, 10:50 AM
And if it doesn't sound right, you can of course replace samples that sound wrong.

JCF Member

FoxBlitzz is doing well so far

Jul 29, 2005, 11:31 AM
I don't really like MIDIs that are converted to MODs without any change. They still have the lame quality of MIDIs, which is a stupid format that should have died out by now.

And no, I am not Japanese.

[22:25] [AkuKitsune] monobot be useful
[22:25] [Monobot] Unable to comply.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jul 29, 2005, 11:37 AM
U DISSIN MIDIS >OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Jul 29, 2005, 12:14 PM
Midis are good quality sound, and a great musictype. However, most people end up using Microsoft's Midi Synthesizer, which makes them sound really bad.

In short, MIDI=Good. Mircosoft=BAD.

JCF Member

Jul 29, 2005, 02:08 PM
Well, I learned how to control ModPlug Tracker now, and I've even made a few (nice) sounds already. I might just make all the music for my next pack myself! Afterall, I've had 6 years experience with MP3's in FruityLoops. This can't be too hard! Thank you all, this thread may be closed!

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Jul 30, 2005, 04:51 AM
You can use MID2XM to convert MIDI files to XM modules. Bear in mind that you will still need to find instrument sample sets to use as well, but those can be downloaded from many places on the internet.

JCF Member

Jul 30, 2005, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoggyB
You can use MID2XM to convert MIDI files to XM modules. Bear in mind that you will still need to find instrument sample sets to use as well, but those can be downloaded from many places on the internet.
It works perfectly with ModPlug too.

JCF Member

Nick [PoL] is doing well so far

Jul 30, 2005, 07:52 AM
You can convert little mp3- or wav-loops to sth. like .Mod, .s3m etc... Just repeat a 20second-wav-loop in mediumquality (filesize ca. 1.8mb or sth like that) a few times, and you got a 3minutes-Module-file in good quality and an ok-filesize...
But I think its really easier to learn making Music in Modplug...
so, best wishes for ya songs, Crimi

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Jul 30, 2005, 11:13 AM
Regardless of what has been said in this topic already, ill repeat what some people said...

Notes
-Use "ModPlug Player" / "ModPlug Tracker" to test out any of these files
-Use "ModPlug Tracker" to convert files into various formats
-Download ModPlug Player
-Download ModPlug Tracker

Compatible File Types
.mod - Amiga and PC Tracker Module
.it - Impulse Tracker Music Module
.s3m - ScreamTracker v3 Sound File
.xm - Fast Tracker 2 Extended Module
.j2b - Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Music File (Don't have to put the extension in, if you use this in JCS)

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Aug 2, 2005, 12:25 PM
Maybe Xmplay is better, it can also play mp3 files....

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Aug 2, 2005, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubz
Compatible File Types
.mod - Amiga and PC Tracker Module
.it - Impulse Tracker Music Module
.s3m - ScreamTracker v3 Sound File
.xm - Fast Tracker 2 Extended Module
.j2b - Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Music File (Don't have to put the extension in, if you use this in JCS)
You forgot .mtm. >[

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Aug 2, 2005, 12:40 PM
And .am, .fm, .669, too...

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Aug 2, 2005, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooba
I never understood why someone decided to make a "669" extention.

And Aku, the advantage to converting midis to mods directly is that they will then sound the same on all computers.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Sciz CT

JCF Member

Sciz CT has disabled reputation

Aug 2, 2005, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkuKitsune
I don't really like MIDIs that are converted to MODs without any change. They still have the lame quality of MIDIs, which is a stupid format that should have died out by now.
MIDI is the backbone of a massive amount of all music produced in last decade and even before that. Don't knock it.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 01:31 PM
ElectroPiZZa

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Aug 2, 2005, 05:27 PM
Yay... another convert!

4-channel MODs are natively support by XMPlay, so it's no use installing 0ldsk00l to play those (natively handled formats never get played by plugins in XMPlay). Winamp input and DSP plugins do work with XMPlay, as long as the input plugins use "winamp's sound system", and the dsp plugins don't monkey around with the sample rate or bit depth.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Aug 2, 2005, 06:34 PM
Meh. Personally I use XMPlay, because I have been doing so for the past few years. Works fine for me.

JCF Member

Erik is doing well so far

Aug 3, 2005, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit
Just a little advice: if you want to convert MP3's into modules, forget it.

Modules are closely related to midi's: they're both nothing more than sheets of music, which tells the computer which note to play with which instrument, the only difference Midi's have with modules is that modules have the instruments "built in" the file, while midi's must rely on wavetables that come with certain soundcards.

Wav's and MP3's are completely different: they're both recordings of the sound the music makes; they don't rely on instruments or anything like that, but on the general proporties of sound waves: frequency, wavelength and amplitude. That's why wav's and MP3's are so frickin' large: sound waves are very complex to computer standards.

Converting modules to MP3's is easy to do, but the other way around is very difficult and usually not worth the time spent on it: you'd have to find the instruments that make the sounds heard in the song, and have them play the right notes; you'd actually be recreating the music! You can imagine that's very tedious.

Take my advice: if you know how to write music, download a tracker program and stick with it. The most famous one is ModPlug Tracker, but it takes a while to get the hang of it.

On a side note, JJ2 accepts most module formats, the common ones being .mod, .xm, .it .s3m. Just make sure to keep the filesize under 1 Mb to save game memory.

In short, formats s3m, xm, it, and mod are modules, and mp3, ogg, wav, etc. are streamed formats. And jj2 doesn't support streamed formats.

"The most famous one is ModPlug Tracker, but it takes a while to get the hang of it." I doubt that. FastTracker 2 is the most widely used. ModPlug Tracker makes the suckiest files, which are different than the original file format allows. But FastTracker 2 is for DOS. So i'm using ModPlug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPiZZa
People who use Winamp's built-in MikMOD engine to play MODs should be banned from listening to MODs permanently.
Duh, that's why we use the in_bass.dll! (That's the same player as in XMPlay)

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Aug 3, 2005, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?JSZ¿ JaZz!
You forgot .mtm. >[
What the hell is that and Cooba's extensions. I've never heard of 'em / seen them used in a JJ2 level. What level?

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Aug 4, 2005, 04:45 AM
A good example is Night5.mtm used in Agama's Night World.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)
Old Aug 4, 2005, 06:31 AM
ElectroPiZZa