Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Jazz related RTS freeware

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Jun 9, 2011, 10:17 PM
Lightbulb Jazz related RTS freeware

I had idea about creating jazz related freeware RTS...
but I had no engine where I can do it without programming... But finally I found Scirra Constructor... And little tutorial...

I can begin the large project from it and I can make freeware RTS for fans... But I have two questions for you:

1.RTS actions must be on planet or in the space?
2.It's must be spaceships, or rabbits and turtles with guns?
3.What's your favorite planet from Jackrabbit's world (Example: Carrotus, Diamondus, Technoir, Medivo and etc.)
4.What's gameplay should be? (Destroy enemy flying/nonflying base? Capture the planet? Capture all points..?)

I have 3 free months to do this work... Well, if you have any comments or ideas how to make this RTS more better, post here...

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Jun 9, 2011, 11:48 PM
RTS as in real time strategy, right?
Real time strategy games can occur in any setting. There are plenty of Space Age ones (Starcraft, etc.) and Medieval ones (Age of Empires). For a Jazz themed one, I'd imagine you'd have most of the action take place on the surface of the various planets and times that he visited throughout the Jazz 1 and 2 games. I'd imagine you'd be able to base your units off ingame characters and enemies. You could possibly have several "hero" units, based off Jazz, Spaz, Devan, and several bosses, like Bolly and the Queen or something. Most of your generic, "grunt" units would probably be turtles and rabbits of various shapes and sizes, with maybe some lizards thrown in.

I'd suggest figuring out how to get the game working before you try to build a specific setting or gameplay objectives. Once you know you can build bases, units, upgrades, etc and give commands to them, then start worrying about the visuals and gameplay specifics. Getting over that first design step is huge and challenging, and trying to do art and story and stuff at the same times will just be overwhelming.

Remember, making a game is an enormous project, and even a simple game can take huge amounts of time to make well. I've started several projects like this, only to realize how difficult it was and realizing I don't have that kind of commitment. It sounds like a really cool idea, and I hope you're more persistent than me. Good luck.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2011, 12:28 AM
Well, I did not plan about heroes and bosses... Well, the game in most place looks like Footman Wars...

I still learning the engine and probably I should make account in local Scirra forums...

I think the work will get more time than just 3 months...Well...I'm gonna try anyway...

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Jun 10, 2011, 01:25 AM
Single-handedly, to get somewhere that project would take atleast two years of dedicated making. And there would still be graphics left.

But, as I personally like RTSes, the game should be made to space-time, but not overmade (like 2100 or something(war was beginning)). The game could take place in both ground and in space, with buildings in both (floating buildings in space). The objectives should vary through levels, like destroying enemy bases and defending your own base, and stuff like that...
IDEA. How about switching between third person for the overall units, and first person for Jazz? This would make the game original, and thus probably better.

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2011, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
IDEA. How about switching between third person for the overall units, and first person for Jazz? This would make the game original, and thus probably better.
Oh, it's hard for me... ;9

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jun 10, 2011, 04:11 AM
I expected this thread to be about S.W.I.N.E.

I once had an idea for a Jazz Jackrabbit RTS, but it wasn't much... Just the sides of conflict, a bit of a story and tying it up to my fanon...

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Jun 10, 2011, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
First person view? That would probably require 3d graphics, which would make the whole thing a ton more difficult to create. I was assuming Crazy Rabbit was thinking more along the lines of a 2-d top view game. Which already would be very difficult and time-consuming.

(Also, not entirely unique. Savage 2 allows you to play as a Real Time Strategy Game, or as a first person shooter/3rd person action game.)

Maybe you could rig something interesting, where you control Jazz in a 2d, sidescrolling environment like Jazz 1 or 2, but he also has the ability to build buildings and units, and command them to attack various things. Although now we're heading more towards DotA, I guess.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left