Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Funnest part in making a level..

View Poll Results: What do you find most enjoyable doing when making a level.
Thinking up ideas 20 48.78%
Planning the layout (ex. on paper) 4 9.76%
Making the "skeleton" of the level 3 7.32%
Putting in eyecandy 19 46.34%
Putting in events. 10 24.39%
Testing the level. 20 48.78%
Finding the music/tileset for the level. 6 14.63%
Other. 7 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jul 14, 2005, 11:55 PM
Funnest part in making a level..

Just curious.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Jul 15, 2005, 12:17 AM
'Haha!' funny or 'I'm enjoying this' funny? I am guessing it's the latter, so here we go:

Thinking up ideas and planning the layout overlap a bit because I'm also thinking up ideas FOR the layout. Making the skeleton is boring but probably also the easiest because all you have to do is take a 4x4 chunk of blocks and draw it all over the place (according to the layout of course). Making the eyecandy can be annoying, depending on the level. In fact, you should try to make the level's layout match with the tileset you're using, but there are so many tilesets that I can't write something for all of them. Putting in events is also boring and very easy because you should've kinda planned the weapons/power-ups beforehand, and once the eyecandy and layout of the level is all finished, it should be easy to see where the pick-ups, springs/etc will go. You can always test the level and move events later but I wouldn't want to change the whole structure of my level just when I'm about to finish. Testing the level by yourself isn't that exciting, but betatesting it with other people can be fun, but only if they are adequately impressed by it (otherwise you'll just have to go back and root out all the bugs, put in more improvements, which is time-consuming).

JCF Member

Jul 15, 2005, 12:37 AM
Nowhere in this did I mention the word Funny ;p. I said "Funnest" as in "fun" not "funny", heh. A bit of those overlap anyways. Personally, when Im almost done a level I like to look at it in JCS for periods of times sometimes if it turns out good, and thats fun.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Jul 15, 2005, 01:12 AM
Funnest isn't even a word. Fun is a noun adjective while funny is the real adjective. Fun and funny can easily mean the same thing. You're confusing me.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Jul 15, 2005, 01:12 AM
Thinking up ideas is always a lot more fun than actually using them... Like, just an hour or so ago I got a rather brilliant idea for a level element............ in the final level of an episode........ which I'm still soooooooo far away from.........................................
But the best thing is, of course, the result. Nothing over playing what you created yourself a hundred times and actually LIKING it. Boo-yow.
Tileset and music are very important and very awesome if chosen well and fitting to each other, too, but I can't find anything fun in finding them, but rather in watching and hearing them harmonize when playing.

EDIT: Oh, and..
"adj. Informal

Enjoyable; amusing: “You're a real fun guy” (Margaret Truman). "

It's true, though, that there is no superlative of "fun".

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Jul 15, 2005, 03:51 AM
My favorite part of making a level is having everything work out better than expected. It might not happen everytime I finish a level, but when it does it feels like a huge accomplishment.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

DarkSonic is doing well so far

Jul 15, 2005, 01:09 PM
I like making eye candy. Especially if it's with a tileset I'm good with. I think : 'Yay, this again. So easy. I know how to use it now.' Placing events is also fun. Not alot of people complain about it and I use my own style.

I also voted for other, and with that I mean that when I'm uploading it after finishing it and getting testers.

By the way, what is the 'skeleton' of a level actually?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Jarno View Post
What is Distopia

JCF Member

FoxBlitzz is doing well so far

Jul 15, 2005, 01:23 PM
Picking a tileset to work with is fun. Especially when you're picking a tileset to make a remake of an older level with (Like in my current project which is to make edits of all three official battle levels). Placing tiles is a bit tedious but it pays off, although eyecandy is fun to do. Placing events, like tiles, can also get a little tedious but it's fun to do stuff such as trigger crate puzzles and the like.

Music is something I normally don't have a problem with. I know where to find great songs nobody here has even bothered to look for. And I'm not talking about crappy chip music, but REAL songs, ones with high ratings. Too bad stupid JJ2 has a limit of 2 MB per song. Oh yes, and you have to edit the songs to remove bugs (Like the stuck note bug and notes not playing right) due to Epic's stupid decision on the Galaxy Sound System. If it weren't for that, I could have put in some kick (-) music, but NOOOO, the dumb developers made it impossible to do so.

And no, I am not Japanese.

[22:25] [AkuKitsune] monobot be useful
[22:25] [Monobot] Unable to comply.

JCF Member

MoonBlazE is an asset to this forum

Jul 15, 2005, 02:48 PM
It is always fun to think up ideas and play around a bit in the editor. But then comes the part where you have to work for days on it to satify people and hopefully get one decent commentary on it. Hurray!

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jul 15, 2005, 04:12 PM
Getting reviews and opinions, I'd say. It's fun seeing what people liked and didn't like and seeing how well your level stacks up against masterpieces like Voldard's Cool Treasure Jungle. I consider this part of "making the level" because you usually run a number of tests before releasing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawriel
there is no superlative of "fun".
You're no fun.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

Jul 15, 2005, 11:58 PM
There is a little difference between making MP levels such as Battle or CTF and more complicated things like Assault or SP.

I really suck at anything that is MP, so when I used JCS I usually made SP stuff.

I like testing, aswell as trying out funky ideas. The best thing is to get reviews with high rating though, or see your level finished. It gives you that feeling of satisfaction.

JCF Member

NaT is doing well so far

Jul 16, 2005, 02:04 AM
i think it's testing the level is the most enjoyable thing of making lvls!

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Jul 16, 2005, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFreak
There is a little difference between making MP levels such as Battle or CTF and more complicated things like Assault or SP.
I'd have to argue against the general idea you stated (the main differences being the type of layout required). But, if you just meant to say people get nearly the same satisfaction in making a level in every gametype, then I can't disagree.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

Jul 16, 2005, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
I'd have to argue against the general idea you stated (the main differences being the type of layout required).
Layout yes, but I still think an assault level needs a lot more planning than a battle one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
But, if you just meant to say people get nearly the same satisfaction in making a level in every gametype, then I can't disagree.
Yes.

JCF Member

WvA is doing well so far

Jul 16, 2005, 07:18 AM
Just trying some idea's you have in mind and trying to make it in jazz. Its also kinda fun to remake some other game. For example i remaked bowsers castle 1 from mario bros :P was kinda fun. I also tried to remake the first level of prince of persia but there wasn't a good tileset for that one :P

I dont add eye candy. I just want something to good look but i am bad at making it look awesome. You just have to play it well and that it dont look bad, thats enough for me.

Stupid thing is that it always take so (-) long to finish a level :P

I also like searching music for the levels. I maked a level and added a song and tested it. Than i test it again with another song and the whole level feels like something else. That was kinda cool to see. Like a dark forest with some music in the background or a dark forrest with extremely happy music :P
ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Jul 16, 2005, 04:51 PM
I love everything about making levels except adding eyecandy. I just wish people wouldn't go: eyecandy terrible, I won't play this level, rating 1.1 for horrid eyecandy. Even if the idea is really good!

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jul 16, 2005, 05:20 PM
...People don't, and if they do their review gets edited for not having a minimum of 3 lines(and not being detailed enough)! And I hope you meant to interchange idea with gameplay, because in the end, ideas are just something you shouldn't factor. Ideas can be good, but if the gameplay and eyecandy(and other factors) are terrible that idea isn't going to count for anything. Take the idea, "Find a mystical face(or totem, whatever) in the vast ocean " Which is a pretty cool idea, but as the level "A sad Beach" shows, that above average, general idea fails in execution. And if ideas were so highly prized, so many levels which otherwise suck would be getting high marks. "This level has nothing but horrendus gameplay and tons of terrible eyecandy(Plus some background tiles are used as ground tiles, what was up with that?), but the idea of Jazz exploring a large space wasteland buying equipment from a vendor(even though the in game one doesn't work) and finding ship parts(Despite the fact the triggers failed) to escape was solid. Great idea! Perfect 10!(and again, that would be edited. If it was so terrible, it shouldn't get that high of a rating now should it?)

JCF Member

Jul 21, 2005, 01:26 AM
Reading long reviews about your level tends to be fun too, as long as they're positive.