Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Different versions of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - my perspective

proud2beamerican

JCF Member

proud2beamerican is doing well so far

Sep 18, 2015, 10:07 PM
Different versions of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - my perspective

Hi everyone! Jeff here. I have a very good memory and I love to store some beautiful moments in it. One of those moments is the time when I played this beautiful game back in 1998. Even though in those times there were already much more advanced games on the market, JJ2 still seemed pretty impressive. It had beautiful, yet simple, graphics, and very addicting soundtrack! It occasionally was appearing in my mind throughout the years, but I never really had a chance to re-experience the game. Till now - I downloaded the game and played it on my Linux machine using Wine. It was amazing to feel that bouncing magic again! But I've noticed that the things weren't exactly as I remembered.

Here are all the details that I can think of from the JJ2 that I've played for the first time back in 98:
  • the title graphic included Jazz & Spaz on some kind of purple background with a Windows logo somewhere in the bottom corner.
  • the background of the menu was all purple
  • there was no Lori
  • there were only 4 episodes and they were all playable one after another. There was no such a thing as a "Shareware" episode, nor the Homecooked levels.
  • the 1st Carrotus level was a night level, the 2nd one was during the day, while in the version that I played right now it is reversed.
  • you could easily kill the boss with 3 stomps or those special attacks (ctrl+arrow)
  • there was a different music in the 2nd level of Colonius than in the 1st one. in the version that I played now there is the same music throughout both Colonius levels
  • the boss of the Beach level was way different, at least I recall some different movements of it
  • there was no boss in the Medival level
  • Jungle levels were completely different - definitely the background was different and I believe there was a warp somewhere on the mere beginning of the 1st level
  • the final boss was different: Devan was just stuck in the ground and as soon as you started shooting at him he turned into that flying monster. He was way easier to kill
  • picking up the carrot generated exactly the same sound as picking up the gem
  • in general I recall that there were a lot of random missing tiles in the grounds etc. now it seems that everything is fixed.
  • there was no program to edit the levels

Can someone tell me what exactly version of JJ2 that could be? And how can I get it?
I did some research and I found out that there are different versions of JJ2, but there is info about new episodes like TSF, Holiday Hare, not necessarily about all those details that I mentioned.

Also, after trying this version of JJ2 that I've downloaded I tried to run JJ2+ with it on my Linux but things started to act really weird. And I had to use my friend's laptop with Windows 10

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Sep 18, 2015, 10:32 PM
That's a very old version of JJ2, it's 1.00g, if you used that version, JJ2+ doesn't work on it at all, the latest version is 1.24 (TSF), JJ2+ works on 1.24 (TSF) and 1.23, but if you download TSF, do not download the Avalon TSF.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Sep 19, 2015, 01:20 AM
http://www.jazz2online.com/articles/...100g-update-1/

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
proud2beamerican

JCF Member

Sep 19, 2015, 01:20 PM
Great THANKS guys! That full description on J2O site matches exactly the version I was playing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
That's a very old version of JJ2, it's 1.00g, if you used that version, JJ2+ doesn't work on it at all
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough. I played that old version back in 1998. Now I've downloaded a newer version somewhere on the abandoned software portal (hopefully it is legal? it seemed legit) After figuring out where to check the version it turned out to be 1.23, so it should work fine with JJ2+, and it does on the Windows... but for some reason it doesn't work that fine on the Wine on Linux.

BTW: doing research I found THIS
It looks like the newest version is 1.25. What's the difference?

Last edited by Stijn; Sep 19, 2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: URL removed

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Sep 19, 2015, 01:29 PM
1.25 is an old fan patch and should not be used as JJ2+ improves upon it in every way possible.

Abandonware is not legal - there are no legal free versions of JJ2. However, no one really cares about that at this point.

Linking to places where you can download full versions of JJ2 as explicitly as you did is still forbidden on this site though, as Epic does not allow that on fansites for its games.

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Sep 19, 2015, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud2beamerican View Post
Great THANKS guys! That full description on J2O site matches exactly the version I was playing!

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough. I played that old version back in 1998. Now I've downloaded a newer version somewhere on the abandoned software portal (hopefully it is legal? it seemed legit) After figuring out where to check the version it turned out to be 1.23, so it should work fine with JJ2+, and it does on the Windows... but for some reason it doesn't work that fine on the Wine on Linux.

BTW: doing research I found THIS
It looks like the newest version is 1.25. What's the difference?
I suggest you to download 1.24, as you have a new character and other new stuff, and some servers use that version. But remember to not download avalon version.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Sep 20, 2015, 05:26 PM
Abandonware was originally a myth pirates came up with to justify piracy. It then became a common misconception, and I've already lost interest in wherever I was going with that.

Anyway, here's a crash course in the versions of JJ2: 1.21 was the original release, 1.22 is an uncommon release that fixed some bugs, 1.23 is the most common version of the game since any earlier version can be patched to it, and 1.24 is The Secret Files. Any of those versions with an X appended is a Christmas edition, which is basically just the original but instead of the singplayer campaign, it has a christmas episode, and most of the multiplayer modes don't work. It's honestly a bit crap.
You're already familiar with 1.00g(And its rumoured partner 1.00h, which is apparently exactly the same), but then there's also the 1.10o beta, which contains some unfinished levels that were cut from the final game, and then there's the other games that use the Jazz 2 engine: Battery Check, and Animaniacs: A Gigantic Adventure.

JCF Member

Sep 21, 2015, 12:34 AM
So you can download the JJ2, no one really cares, but yet you can't post the links in here. Hmmm. It's not like you can buy it officially anymore (unless I'm wrong again), so there is no other way to join you guys with having fun with JJ2 other than downloading it from one of those illegal sites...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
Linking to places where you can download full versions of JJ2 as explicitly as you did is still forbidden on this site though, as Epic does not allow that on fansites for its games.
It seems quite natural for me that you guys want to stay cool with Epic, but can I ask you something? Do you, as the community, have any benefits from staying cool with them and kind of limiting your users (like in that case of posting the links)? By benefits I mean something like releasing source code, or something? I mean at this point they may as well do that, would that hurt them?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Sep 21, 2015, 01:33 AM
We haven't gotten anything out of it except Epic not taking us down, but we'll take that

The source code is not coming out any time soon, for unknown reasons, but JJ2+ is at a point where I don't think it's really needed. It would speed some things up and would definitely be useful, though.
proud2beamerican

JCF Member

Sep 21, 2015, 02:15 AM
There are tons of sites not only posting links to the pages which contain JJ2 but actually having the JJ2 on their servers and for some magical reasons no one took em down. Why should J2O be treated more strict?

I will never understand the greediness and uncareness of companies such as Epic. Shouldn't they be proud of their selves that they have managed to produce such a beautiful piece of game which is still played and adored in 2015? Shouldn't they appreciate all the fans and all the effort of their fans put into expanding the world of their game?

Administrator

Sep 21, 2015, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud2beamerican View Post
There are tons of sites not only posting links to the pages which contain JJ2 but actually having the JJ2 on their servers and for some magical reasons no one took em down. Why should J2O be treated more strict?
Because we don't want to risk it. People seem to be able to acquire the game without our help well enough.
Ninja

JCF Member

Ninja is an asset to this forumNinja is an asset to this forum

Sep 21, 2015, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
there's the other games that use the Jazz 2 engine: Battery Check, and Animaniacs: A Gigantic Adventure.
... Well, I learned something new today. I never knew that that Animaniacs game even existed. I'm not really surprised I wasn't aware, however, considering there is only one gameplay video on youtube of it. :P